Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think it makes some sense for UCONN to approach the ACC and tell them if they do not offer they are going to the Big 12 and the ACC ill regret that. Even though UCONN Football is abysmal it brings a lot in other areas. Travel in the ACC will be much better than the Big 12.
It’s better, but much better? I don’t know. Syracuse and BC are close by, but flying all the way to Tallahassee, Atlanta, and Clemson are draining, and Coral Gables is just as far as Texas and Kansas.

Reaction Score
But, I still feel bad for other sports that will need to find a new home like soccer and field hockey; both very successful at UConn.
I still don't understand your trepidation. Why is it exactly that "you feel bad" if they go to B12?

First off, you think the coaches or the kids that compete care who they play?

or Secondly, you think their recruiting is going to go down the tubes now that the program would get a massive influx of money? You don't think that extra money would help to recruit better / also make the program less likely to either go defunct or lower the recruiting priority/ keeping up the facilities etc.?

Third, in regard to travel, if UCONN gets the invite and agree to join, don't you think they have projected the estimated costs? SO, are you saying you have no confidence in their ability to even be remotely near their estimates? So, if they are that incompetent, then what would be the future outlook anyway?

Money rules everything if you want big time athletics. If you don't have the resources to get the money, eventually you will no longer compete nationally. So why "feel bad" if UCONN is able to get the money to allow all their sports to compete on a national level? You should feel happy - feel happy -- for the kids that chose to represent UCONN with a pretty-set-sure-knowledge that they will always be funded to compete on a National level, and be a part of something for years beyond their college days are over.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I still don't understand your trepidation. Why is it exactly that "you feel bad" if they go to B12?

First off, you think the coaches or the kids that compete care who they play?

or Secondly, you think their recruiting is going to go down the tubes now that the program would get a massive influx of money? You don't think that extra money would help to recruit better / also make the program less likely to either go defunct or lower the recruiting priority/ keeping up the facilities etc.?

Third, in regard to travel, if UCONN gets the invite and agree to join, don't you think they have projected the estimated costs? SO, are you saying you have no confidence in their ability to even be remotely near their estimates? So, if they are that incompetent, then what would be the future outlook anyway?

Money rules everything if you want big time athletics. If you don't have the resources to get the money, eventually you will no longer compete nationally. So why "feel bad" if UCONN is able to get the money to allow all their sports to compete on a national level? You should feel happy - feel happy -- for the kids that chose to represent UCONN with a pretty-set-sure-knowledge that they will always be funded to compete on a National level, and be a part of something for years beyond their college days are over.
Well said HH!! UConn must have a “continuous” high revenue stream if they want to compete at the highest levels. A move to the Big 12 if invited would be a no-brainer because that move would guarantee said stream.

I can’t understand why any fan would be opposed to their school trying to place itself in a better more stable financial environment. The possible travel consequences for its athletes will take care of themselves. Team travel dynamics should be the least of their worries.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

I figured 1-2 more PAC 12 (the PAC 9 now) schools would join Colorado in jumping ship. At this rate, the “PAC” conference will cease to exist by the end of the summer. With these PAC schools willing to join the BIG 12, that doesn’t look good for UConn.

How many more new schools do they want to join? So if Swaim is correct, the PAC conference could be down to 6 members by the end of next week. There goes any chance of a viable TV deal for that conference.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
"A couple of industry sources questioned how Colorado was able to obtain a full share of Big 12 media rights revenue ($31.7 million) beginning in 2025. ESPN and Fox have agreed to pay Colorado -- and reportedly any other Power Five addition to the Big 12 -- equal value, which means an extra $190 million paid out per team over those six years."

Carnac

Reaction Score
"A couple of industry sources questioned how Colorado was able to obtain a full share of Big 12 media rights revenue ($31.7 million) beginning in 2025. ESPN and Fox have agreed to pay Colorado -- and reportedly any other Power Five addition to the Big 12 -- equal value, which means an extra $190 million paid out per team over those six years."

If that's true, Colorado hit the lottery. We can expect to see other PAC members bailout of the conference in the coming days/weeks. The PAC Conference is losing members faster than they can replace them. The PAC Conference is not looking very attractive to prospective new members right now. Current member schools are leaving and there's no TV deal in place. I would imagine the PAC commissioner George Kliavkoff will try and raid the surrounding/nearby conferences for replacements........Big West, Mountain West, West Coast, Conference USA, and the BIG Sky.
The members schools of these conferences are all mid-majors.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
If that's true, then we can expect to see other PAC members bailout of the conference in the coming days/weeks. The PAC Conference is losing members faster than they can replace them. The PAC Conference is not looking very attractive to prospective new members right now. Member schools are leaving and No TV deal in place yet.
Yes, that would effectively give the Big 12 carte blanche.
The networks must really want to prop up the Big 12, at least for now while they're in the re-building (re-alignment) stage.
But no one is sure how many teams that the Big 12 wants to add right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Colorado leaving the PAC has widened and opened the eyes of many in the West. If the two Arizona schools decide to pac their bags and leave then there is a serious issue at hand. Would it be wise for the remaining school to pluck schools from other conferences or smarter to combine forces with the Mountain West. Most articles that I have read all mentioned San Diego State, SMU and possibly Hawaii. Oregon and Washington are the brand schools that rule the PAC now. It will be interesting to see what they do.

Reaction Score

I’ve been wondering how a pie can be cut into more pieces without reducing the size of each piece. Are they saying that the Big 12’s pie will increase in size with any additional school or only select additions?

Carnac

Reaction Score
1690634144476.png

The PAC 12 Conference today. :eek:

Reaction Score
I’ve been wondering how a pie can be cut into more pieces without reducing the size of each piece. Are they saying that the Big 12’s pie will increase in size with any additional school or only select additions?
From reports if the Big 12 added teams from P5 conferences the networks would increase their payments so they would get the same as the other schools.

Reaction Score
From reports if the Big 12 added teams from P5 conferences the networks would increase their payments so they would get the same as the other schools.
IF true, that would seem to screw UConn who is not a p-5. I also can’t see a tv network offering to pay more for Wazzu and/or the Beavers. I could see Stanford for a foot in the Cali markets I can see one, but moth both Zona schools

Reaction Score
This is exactly right and I think the number they can add is up to 14 schools. Maybe 16 with this rule but they are expected to add one more this year.

Reaction Score
IF true, that would seem to screw UConn who is not a p-5. I also can’t see a tv network offering to pay more for Wazzu and/or the Beavers. I could see Stanford for a foot in the Cali markets I can see one, but moth both Zona schools
If Pac falls apart look for Oregon to talk to them as a parachute option. Maybe even Washington,

Reaction Score
If Pac falls apart look for Oregon to talk to them as a parachute option. Maybe even Washington,
Big12 will tie them up in a GOR that will foreclose any BIG Ten hopes for them during my lifetime ( if they have any realistic hopes now.)

Carnac

Reaction Score
That's right!!! When the ship starts to go down..................it's every man/woman for themselves. :eek:

Reaction Score
Could it be that the Big 12, if get a diversified and versatile base, will increase its comparable strength in a very short time?

Carnac

Reaction Score
This hurts my west-coast loving heart
View attachment 90213
Just based strictly on what I'm reading here in this thread, the PAC 9 is in very serious trouble. If the commissioner and the executive committee don't do something and quick, the conference may not be able to recover from this mass exodus of member schools.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPN contract says any P5 edition gets a pro rata share increase. Fox has the option to agree to do it or not. Both have said that Connecticut will get a pro rata addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom