Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
What matters is what happens within the ACC. I believe if the Magnificent Seven (Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and NC State decide and figure out a way to exit their conference this helps UConn.

That conference is now defunct. The remaining schools or the Dismal Seven (Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Wake Forest keep the conference name and expand.
But that's exactly the point. If/when something like this comes to pass (and I agree there's a chance it could), then is UConn better off…

a.) already being a card-carrying member of the Big 12, or
b.) hoping for an invitation from whatever's left of the hollow, burnt-out, stinking, rotting carcass of the ACC?

I don't think it's a close question.

Reaction Score
Hey, I'm pretty sure we are available for the first P5 conference to offer us. It would be a power move by the ACC to snap us up wow the big 12 dallied waiting for the Pac 12 to announce its mythical media deal.
Now this I can get behind. To me the ACC would fit us better than the Big 12.

Reaction Score
But that's exactly the point. If/when something like this comes to pass (and I agree there's a chance it could), then is UConn better off…

a.) already being a card-carrying member of the Big 12, or
b.) hoping for an invitation from whatever's left of the hollow, burnt-out, stinking, rotting carcass of the ACC?

I don't think it's a close question.
UConn would also have to find a place for Soccer, Field Hockey and any other sport the Big 12 doesn't carry. That's also why I'm not a fan of the move.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Now this I can get behind. To me the ACC would fit us better than the Big 12.
They've got to offer first though, right? Long term big 12 is the more stable conference, but I would think hard about taking an ACC offer were it to come. In all likelihood, one is not coming.

Reaction Score
They've got to offer first though, right? Long term big 12 is the more stable conference, but I would think hard about taking an ACC offer were it to come. In all likelihood, one is not coming.
I know that. I'm just saying I'd like to be there more than the B12.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know that. I'm just saying I'd like to be there more than the B12.
Options for future viability are: the Big 10, the SEC, and the Big 12. The ACC is dying - schools are waiting to bolt once their league contracts expire - and the PAC 10 can’t get a media contract. They were supposed to have one by now and they don’t.

It’s not like UConn is at a buffet and can choose exactly what it wants. UConn has to grab the first offer for guaranteed financial security that it’s offered. The Big 10, unfortunately, isn’t interested.

Reaction Score
Options for future viability are: the Big 10, the SEC, and the Big 12. The ACC is dying - schools are waiting to bolt once their league contracts expire - and the PAC 10 can’t get a media contract. They were supposed to have one by now and they don’t.

It’s not like UConn is at a buffet and can choose exactly what it wants. UConn has to grab the first offer for guaranteed financial security that it’s offered. The Big 10, unfortunately, isn’t interested.
I'm not immersed in alignment talk nor do I have any inkling about what goes on. I basically follow UConn and that's it. I just feel travel wise and where the games are played (i.e. Gampel, MSG) some leagues are a better fit than others. Honestly, I've been crucified on Twitter because in my opinion Football is not worth it. But yes, I know that's where the money is.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm not immersed in alignment talk nor do I have any inkling about what goes on. I basically follow UConn and that's it. I just feel travel wise and where the games are played (i.e. Gampel, MSG) some leagues are a better fit than others. Honestly, I've been crucified on Twitter because in my opinion Football is not worth it. But yes, I know that's where the money is.
Football is a lifeline for the athletic department. For right now, at least, playing football is a prerequisite to being in one of the high earning conferences. One of the things that the big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark talks about is that he feels that basketball has been undervalued. He has specifically indicated that Connecticut success in both men's and women's basketball is a big part of why he is interested in having us join. He is unique among conference commissioners in that belief. That is one of the things that makes me feel more positive about joining the big 12 conference. It is good to have a commissioner who sees and understands our value.

Reaction Score
Football is a lifeline for the athletic department. For right now, at least, playing football is a prerequisite to being in one of the high earning conferences. One of the things that the big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark talks about is that he feels that basketball has been undervalued. He has specifically indicated that Connecticut success in both men's and women's basketball is a big part of why he is interested in having us join. He is unique among conference commissioners in that belief. That is one of the things that makes me feel more positive about joining the big 12 conference. It is good to have a commissioner who sees and understands our value.
Thanks for that explanation. Now that makes more sense to me than all these Football only people I see on Twitter. But, I still feel bad for other sports that will need to find a new home like soccer and field hockey; both very successful at UConn. There are so many other sports on campus to consider. But I honestly don't know what sports are included in the B12 so I can't comment on the others.

CL82

Reaction Score
Thanks for that explanation. Now that makes more sense to me than all these Football only people I see on Twitter. But, I still feel bad for other sports that will need to find a new home like soccer and field hockey; both very successful at UConn. There are so many other sports on campus to consider. But I honestly don't know what sports are included in the B12 so I can't comment on the others.
Field hockey was a big east member back when we were a member of the American, so, if the big 12 doesn't offer it, they will probably stay in the big east. Which is a good thing, because it saves them the travel hassles that the big 12 will inevitably bring.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

In the past week to ten days (now having more information than I did then), and reading every comment here in the yard regarding the options and financial ramifications of joining the BIG 12 vs the ACC, vs staying put in the BIG East, I have done a 180 degree turnabout. It looks like the BIG 12 is the best option for UConn. It looks like the only option for UConn other than standing pat in the Big East.

"A high ranking member of the @UCONN administration who said that things will be exciting here this week, as we EXPECT to join the
@Big12Conference."

This is the best news I've heard this summer. If it makes dollars, it makes sense. Dollars make sense. This move makes dollars....lots of them. Dollars that UConn desperately need to balance their athletic department budget that is currently operating in the red.

Becoming a member of a P5 conference will make recruiting for the football program a lot easier, and facilitate the staff in turning their program around faster. I realize there are posters here that don't like this possible move. There are Big 12 fans that don't want UConn in the BIG 12. My only interest is the UConn WBB program. In my opinion, UConn should be able to hold their own in any P5 conference, including the BIG 12.

The BIG 12 executive committee just voted "unanimously" to accept Colorado in the conference. Based on the tweet from Jim Williams last night, we should be hearing news about UConn being voted in this week. A move to the BIG 12 will benefit UConn financially for decades to come, and allow it to operate its athletic programs in the black.

As you said Nan......."UConn has to grab the first offer for guaranteed financial security that is offered." He who hesitates is lost. :cool:

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Field hockey never left the Big East even when other sports went to the AAC so I don’t see any reason that would change. Soccer isn‘t the powerhouse it had been so maybe a change would help if they don’t stay in the Big East

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn would also have to find a place for Soccer, Field Hockey and any other sport the Big 12 doesn't carry. That's also why I'm not a fan of the move.
Not even close to deal breakers. If it happens, those sports will benefit. And find new homes where needed.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
We all have our thoughts and theories on what will take in college alignment over the next few years. If the PAC 12 doesn’t get a significant media deal then chances are that they are doomed. For me being a UConn fan what takes place out west doesn’t matter.

What matters is what happens within the ACC. I believe if the Magnificent Seven (Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and NC State decide and figure out a way to exit their conference this helps UConn.

That conference is now defunct. The remaining schools or the Dismal Seven (Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Wake Forest keep the conference name and expand.

There are plenty of schools that wound want to be a part of this. You start with UConn. They are a perfect fit and the New York market. Add Temple. The Philly market. Yes, I know that they are a commuter school. But still. Add USF. They were part of the Old Big East just like these other school.

Other teams that would be awesome fits are Army, Navy and even Buffalo or Florida International. It’s basically a I-95 Conference with brand names.

Screw the Big 12. UConn doesn’t need them. They need to sit and wait to see where alignment goes in two years.
So which category is Norte Dame in? The Magnificent Seven or the Dismal Seven?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not even close to deal breakers. If it happens, those sports will benefit. And find new homes where needed.
The football team did, so can other programs......if necessary. ;)

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
And if you subscribe to ESPN Insider, here is an article that adds information to The Athletic article

I think BYers can appreciate that Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark is driving the bus to add UConn and clearly sees the opportunity to strengthen the conference's basketball pedigree.

However I read somewhere else that if offered to join, the Big 12 presidents are not inclined to give UConn a similar share of media money that they're going to give Colorado. What do you think of that?

Reaction Score
Another thought: it's intriguing to think of annual matchups between the Hurley brothers if both UConn and Arizona State were to invited to join the Big 12.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
And if you subscribe to ESPN Insider, here is an article that adds information to The Athletic article

I think BYers can appreciate that Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark is driving the bus to add UConn and clearly sees the opportunity to strengthen the conference's basketball pedigree.

However I read somewhere else that if offered to join, the Big 12 presidents are not inclined to give UConn a similar share of media money that they're going to give Colorado. What do you think of that?
What the B 12 presidents are inclined to do and what they will do are totally different. Our AD and president are not going to roll over.

UConn will get a full share.

Reaction Score
I think it makes some sense for UCONN to approach the ACC and tell them if they do not offer they are going to the Big 12 and the ACC ill regret that. Even though UCONN Football is abysmal it brings a lot in other areas. Travel in the ACC will be much better than the Big 12.

Reactions: DRW
Reaction Score
What the B 12 presidents are inclined to do and what they will do are totally different. Our AD and president are not going to roll over.

UConn will get a full share.
Not so sure about the full share

Reaction Score
I think it's safe to surmise that UConn football is the potential drag on getting a full share. I think most BYers would value the strength of our basketball programs to just about make up for that if not entirely as it is a huge "get" for the Big 12.

Yet there are many schools that don't participate in certain sports in the Big 12 (as is the case in any conference). IMO UConn also brings a decent baseball, softball, women's volleyball and women's rowing to the Big 12. We don't have a women's gymnastics team nor wrestling, but many other members don't either. Most of UConn's other sports will add to the Big 12's existing participants with the exception of field hockey, ice hockey and women's lacrosse. BTW the Big 12 doesn't offer men's soccer.

FWIW we have greater overlap with the Big 12 than many other current members in their current sports, more so than Kansas State, Houston and Cincinnati.

sun

Reaction Score
Colorado's jump to the Big 12 has prompted the ACC to emphasize how it also wants to expand due to the changing landscape.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I think it's safe to surmise that UConn football is the potential drag on getting a full share. I think most BYers would value the strength of our basketball programs to just about make up for that if not entirely as it is a huge "get" for the Big 12.

Yet there are many schools that don't participate in certain sports in the Big 12 (as is the case in any conference). IMO UConn also brings a decent baseball, softball, women's volleyball and women's rowing to the Big 12. We don't have a women's gymnastics team nor wrestling, but many other members don't either. Most of UConn's other sports will add to the Big 12's existing participants with the exception of field hockey, ice hockey and women's lacrosse. BTW the Big 12 doesn't offer men's soccer.

FWIW we have greater overlap with the Big 12 than many other current members in their current sports, more so than Kansas State, Houston and Cincinnati.
I would love to see UConn wrestling in the B12 some day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom