Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
Because we win national championships in the Big East. I really don’t want to become Pitt, Syracuse, or BC, even if they get football money.
The B12 is a better BB conference than the BE. I think we’ll be fine. Also, I think Hurley and his recruiting might have a thing or 2 to do with that.

Reaction Score
Because we win national championships in the Big East. I really don’t want to become Pitt, Syracuse, or BC, even if they get football money.
Good point, and to that point I personally guarantee we will not hire Jim Boeheim, Jeff Capel or whoever BC has as their head coach when we join the B12.

It's unreal how so many people think the ACC has hurt those basketball teams and yet ignore the fact that PC, Seton Hall, Gtown, and Stjohns have done nothing in the magical Big East. We won as many championships in our short time in the AAC as Gtown, St John's, Providence, and Seton Hall have won in their entire time in the Big East combined.

Reaction Score
The B12 is a better BB conference than the BE. I think we’ll be fine. Also, I think Hurley and his recruiting might have a thing or 2 to do with that.
True, at least as good as the BE w/ KU, Baylor, Tex Tech, TCU, Baylor, Houston, K State, WV, Cincy (maybe Arizona). And top to bottom, better than the ACC with a much a better future outlook.

No reason B12 should hold back BB in any way. And it’s quickly becoming the third best best power conference overall with a bright future.

Reaction Score
Ill Allow It Spanish GIF

Reaction Score
Two wonderings…

In here the Iowa St AD claims he expects the new TV deal to = $50mil/year per school. $32/mil from the TV + $18mil/year from NCAA tourny + CFP. Is that right? $18mil/year from those?

Second, in the dream scenarios that I’ve seen in come threads people are discussing the ACC GOR that runs through 2036. What’s the process for an ACC school (ex: Clemson) to get poached by SEC prior to 2036? Pay the exit fee and that’s that? When it’s multiple schools (add in UNC, Miami, FSU…) how does that work? Will they try to terminate the GOR prior to the current 2036 end date if that’s the case?

New to all of this. Lol

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Two wonderings…

In here the Iowa St AD claims he expects the new TV deal to = $50mil/year per school. $32/mil from the TV + $18mil/year from NCAA tourny + CFP. Is that right? $18mil/year from those?

Second, in the dream scenarios that I’ve seen in come threads people are discussing the ACC GOR that runs through 2036. What’s the process for an ACC school (ex: Clemson) to get poached by SEC prior to 2036? Pay the exit fee and that’s that? When it’s multiple schools (add in UNC, Miami, FSU…) how does that work? Will they try to terminate the GOR prior to the current 2036 end date if that’s the case?

New to all of this. Lol
Correct $50 million all in per year for each big 12 school.

Your second question is more complicated. A GOR has not been challenged legally yet, but those in the know say it’s iron clad. They either must wait it out or hope that a super majority of ACC schools vote to dissolve the conference. Otherwise, there would be serious litigation and/or their media rights would still be owned by the ACC if they left early (which no admitting conference would want any part of). They’re stuck.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Your second question is more complicated. A GOR has not been challenged legally yet, but those in the know say it’s iron clad. They either must wait it out or hope that a super majority of ACC schools vote to dissolve the conference. Otherwise, there would be serious litigation and/or their media rights would still be owned by the ACC if they left early (which no admitting conference would want any part of). They’re stuck.
Between BE TV + NCAAT how much are we bringing in now in the Big East?

Reaction Score
Okay, let's throw away every athletic team to keep our basketball only fans happy. Let's disband all athletics except men's and women's basketball, so we can stay in the Big East. Think about the $$ we are saving if we didn't have anything except basketball.

But then, after they (Dan and Geno) retire and we don't have the $$$ to pay a coach because our fans wanted to stay in the BE. We won't get any rising stars to coach here.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Two wonderings…

New to all of this. Lol

Based on the language of the GOR, it says that a school can leave, but that its media rights would stay with the ACC. So it's not as simple as paying a buyout.

Reaction Score

This, but to answer a part of the original question, if the GOR would be specifically enforced by the courts (and I think there is more uncertainty here than many assume), it means that if Clemson were to leave before the GOR has expired, the ACC (and its media outlets) still have the right to show Clemson's home games during the term, and the new conference would not be able to televise them and earn revenue from them.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Between BE TV + NCAAT how much are we bringing in now in the Big East?
I believe it’s about $5 million on average per school (TV+NCAA credits), based on 2020 data. Maybe it’s a bit more now with UConn’s championship but not going to be that much more.

New TV deal will be negotiated soon. Media experts are not expecting a big increase and likely will be more digital exposure than linear.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We've had discussions ad nauseam on the GOR.

If a school were to leave early one of two things would happen (after payment of departure fees):

1 - the school and the ACC reaches an agreement on a buyout of the GOR.

2 - they leave it up to the courts to decide.

If there is a buyout (more likely scenario as it would mitigate quite a big of risk for all sides), the number could easily reach nine figures. If they were to determine present value of future cash flows (at some agreed upon discount rate) project what $30 million annually for a decade and a half would reach. This isn't necessarily how the buyout would be determined (as something like this has never happened) but logically, as it is a long held method in business for monetizing long term value, it holds a strong possibility as a starting point.

If it is left up to the courts anything is possible. One explanation (from when the ACC members first signed the GOR) was that it was similar to publishing rights for music. If you look at what happened in the 1990's when the Verve used a Rolling Stones song without prior permission or attribution, the Stones sued and were awarded all revenues from sales and usage of the song. I doubt that either the SEC or B1G would add a school before the GOR was resolved solely due to the possibility of the ACC retaining the revenues from games played by the school that left the ACC.

Reaction Score
It's going to happen. Yormark has already stated that he wants to have a separate basketball contract for the Big 12 and he wants to expand the footprint on the east coast.

He's not trying to convince the Big 12 football schools. He knows that the Big 12 will never be on the same football level as the SEC or B1G 10 but he can have a solid football conference and the best basketball conference.

The guy has a media background and East coast roots. He's going to negotiate media rights similarly to the NFL by having games on several networks, and by expanding on both the east and west coast, the Big 12 can potentially have games on TV all day in all four time zones

That's the problem the the PAC 12 was having in negotiating media rights when their first games start at 2 or 3 pm on the east coast. The SEC's already played most of their games by then.

UConn will get an invite, we just have to be patient. Yormark is waiting for the PAC 12 media rights to be determined. Everybody knows that the PAC 12 numbers will be much lower due to UCLA and USC leaving for the B1G 10. The remaining universities need to budget for their athletic departments for next fiscal year. There's no deal in place, and PAC 12 commissioner Klaibkof has already stated that media rights will not be discussed during the PAC 12 media days on July 21st.

Something has to give, the question is, does the Big 12 go to 12 or 14 teams.

My thoughts are that they pick up Colorado and UConn and then add AZ and another PAC 12 defector. Ultimately, if the ACC breaks up, the Big 12 will take a couple more teams and stop at 16, but going to 20 with 4 pods of 5 teams is also possible.

Duke and Virginia Tech maybe.
Consolidation and the instability that has been caused in the ACC makes this an even better strategy. As a clear number three conference and the top basketball conference in the country, Yormark can negotiate separate contracts over various networks to promote his product. He may even be looking to promote it across borders. Even if it doesn't work out that way, he can use this strategy to leverage a better package that may or may not include multiple networks.

Once again here's his interview from yesterday I urge people who seem to be in the dark about the landscape of college sports to listen to it.

BY Interview

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This, but to answer a part of the original question, if the GOR would be specifically enforced by the courts (and I think there is more uncertainty here than many assume), it means that if Clemson were to leave before the GOR has expired, the ACC (and its media outlets) still have the right to show Clemson's home games during the term, and the new conference would not be able to televise them and earn revenue from them.
Where I think things get more interesting is would they want to show them? Would ACC partners be angered that a school that left the conference is still being shown under a part of their media contract instead of them? If they don't show them then ESPN is foregoing the potential revenue. Would the refusal to show the departing teams games constitute "frustration of purpose" regarding the original grant of rights? To be honest, I'd really love to see one of these things get litigated because there are a ton of moving pieces to it.

Reaction Score
Wait but… isn’t the SEC also an ESPN conference?

Reaction Score
Evidently we aren't the program that Kansas is. Hell, we aren't even the program that Baylor is, they both were able to win national titles very recently as members of the Big 12, something that is obviously so difficult many in our fan base believe we aren't capable of doing.
You're not seeing the bigger picture. How will UConn ever be able to recruit anybody without being able to sell the dream of taking bus trips to Seton Hall and Providence? What about the fans? They need to see St Johns and G-town! It doesn't matter that no one under 40 remembers either team when they were relevant. What about the current team? They'll only get to play every single home game on the East Coast. What player is going to want to take a cushy charter flight to play Kansas in Allen Fieldhouse? They could be playing Creighton or Butler instead. The Transfer Portal will be overflowing with unhappy players who only care about UConn because they are in The Big East...

Reaction Score
Wait but… isn’t the SEC also an ESPN conference?
So what if it is? Even if the same network is airing the game, it means ESPN would be paying the ACC and not the SEC for Clemson's home games, and the ACC schools would have more money to divide up and the SEC less.

Reaction Score
So what if it is? Even if the same network is airing the game, it means ESPN would be paying the ACC and not the SEC for Clemson's home games, and the ACC schools would have more money to divide up and the SEC less.
Beyond that ESPN already owns Clemson's home conference games for less than they would pay under the SEC pro-rata. They have little incentive to move them to the SEC and pay more for that content.

When you get to the playoff as well (which ESPN owns the rights too) what's more attractive? Clemson as a 12-1 ACC champ or Clemson as an 8-4 SEC at large? Especially when you figure now they're stuck with a 10-3 Pitt as the ACC champ eating up a spot that could've been another SEC or Big Ten team. Clemson & FSU are more valuable properties in the ACC.

One of the things that I think Yormark is betting on, is that football revenue growth stagnates. There are only so many time-slots you can air football games on and there aren't a lot of options to capture more attractive content then the Big Ten or SEC games their partner networks already own. For basketball there are more time slots that can be captured and multiple teams that have brand value still available (i.e. UConn) to create more matchups that can help bring more value to that side of the contract. He's probably correct that it's under-valued, but also faces a need to convince the membership that while football first is correct, the best/easiest place to add value to the next TV contract is probably in basketball.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
And Louisville, Notre Dame, Miami, VTech...not to mention our history with Duke.

We have history with half that conference. Without considering what may or may not happen to the ACC in 2036, I would much rather be there than in the Big 12.
Moving to the ACC would be like floating on a life raft in the North Atlantic and being rescued by the Titanic on its maiden voyage. The ACC is toast. The future power conference have 1) strong bonds and traditions among the schools, states, and fan bases (SEC) and/or 2) national footprints that attract viewers coast to coast (B1G and B12). The ACC (and PAC for that matter) has neither. The moment the clock strikes midnight on the GOR the ACC will turn to dust.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom