Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
Consolidation and the instability that has been caused in the ACC makes this an even better strategy. As a clear number three conference and the top basketball conference in the country, Yormark can negotiate separate contracts over various networks to promote his product. He may even be looking to promote it across borders. Even if it doesn't work out that way, he can use this strategy to leverage a better package that may or may not include multiple networks.

Once again here's his interview from yesterday I urge people who seem to be in the dark about the landscape of college sports to listen to it.

BY Interview
Thanks for posting that interview. I've listened to it three times. Yormark is a man of a thousand ideas. The interview focused on his first year as Commissioner, but as he said, he has more ideas for next year. He said that he puts all of his ideas on a white board, and I remember one reporter specifically saying that he saw "UConn" on the white board.

As I said in another post, the fans and reporters who are stuck in the "expansion means football" mode and dismiss UConn, are missing the boat on Yormark's plans. They are not listening to his message. Yormark "gets" UConn and UConn's value.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that interview. I've listened to it three times. Yormark is a man of a thousand ideas. The interview focused on his first year as Commissioner, but as he said, he has more ideas for next year. He said that he puts all of his ideas on a white board, and I remember one reporter specifically saying that he saw "UConn" on the white board.

As I said in another post, the fans and reporters who are stuck in the "expansion means football" mode and dismiss UConn, are missing the boat on Yormark's plans. They are not listening to his message. Yormark "gets" UConn and UConn's value.
I hope so. I struggle to temper my optimism. The nay sayers are backward minded compared to BY hopefully. Just taking any PAC school because they are P5 and okay in FB doesn’t seem bold to me.

Reaction Score
I hope so. I struggle to temper my optimism. The nay sayers are backward minded compared to BY hopefully. Just taking any PAC school because they are P5 and okay in FB doesn’t seem bold to me.
I know. Nothing is guaranteed. We still have to see how it plays out with the PAC schools.

Reaction Score
Especially since schools mentioned, like Arizona and Colorado are not really okay in FB. Been a long time since McCartney at Colorado and Tomey at Arizona.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So what if it is? Even if the same network is airing the game, it means ESPN would be paying the ACC and not the SEC for Clemson's home games, and the ACC schools would have more money to divide up and the SEC less.
Sort of. The ACC schools wouldn't get any windfall. They would just be entitled to their existing contract. Likewise, ESPN is unlikely to pay the SEC for content that it already owns via the ACC GOR.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think so too. Uconn leaves BIG EAST the next media deal tanks!
Or at least does not grow materially.

Reaction Score
Sort of. The ACC schools wouldn't get any windfall. They would just be entitled to their existing contract. Likewise, ESPN is unlikely to pay the SEC for content that it already owns via the ACC GOR.
Yes, they get the same total dollars and split it up with one less mouth to feed. Hence, windfall.

Reaction Score
St John's?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago
First class facilities and tremendously successful sports programs..... Especially football. :)

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, they get the same total dollars and split it up with one less mouth to feed. Hence, windfall.
Yep. It isn't that the schools would have "more money to divide up". The total pie remains the same. Instead each gets a larger share, assuming that the conference chooses to divide the departing schools share equally.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Beyond that ESPN already owns Clemson's home conference games for less than they would pay under the SEC pro-rata. They have little incentive to move them to the SEC and pay more for that content.

When you get to the playoff as well (which ESPN owns the rights too) what's more attractive? Clemson as a 12-1 ACC champ or Clemson as an 8-4 SEC at large? Especially when you figure now they're stuck with a 10-3 Pitt as the ACC champ eating up a spot that could've been another SEC or Big Ten team. Clemson & FSU are more valuable properties in the ACC.

One of the things that I think Yormark is betting on, is that football revenue growth stagnates. There are only so many time-slots you can air football games on and there aren't a lot of options to capture more attractive content then the Big Ten or SEC games their partner networks already own. For basketball there are more time slots that can be captured and multiple teams that have brand value still available (i.e. UConn) to create more matchups that can help bring more value to that side of the contract. He's probably correct that it's under-valued, but also faces a need to convince the membership that while football first is correct, the best/easiest place to add value to the next TV contract is probably in basketball.
With the contract that Yormack obtained for the B12 shortly after the Oklahoma and Texas departures particularly given it was an overwhelming concensus the conference was done and people began digging a grave for it he’s earned a lot of cachet to make that possible.

It wasn’t too long ago forum members considered Hurley would be on the hot seat if he got bounced out of the first round again. Now people are treating him like he can turn water into wine. In Dan we trust is pretty much unanimous in the men’s bb forum.

Some of the schools might have some fear or scepticism of UConn but I believe they’ll continue to follow Yormack’s plan so long as he remains successful.

Reaction Score
I think so too. Uconn leaves BIG EAST the next media deal tanks!

I don‘t believe that will happen. The payout is very low now, but I would think there will not be a significant increase in payout.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
The most well connected Big 12 writer from the Oklahoman seconds my beliefs that church league members like UConn simply do not move the needle and have no support from the universities.

Reaction Score
That’s an old article. I linked to the one from the Big XII media this week here:

CL82

Reaction Score
I don‘t believe that will happen. The payout is very low now, but I would think there will not be a significant increase in payout.
With us it's rumored to be $8 million per team. It certainly won't be more without us.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
super interesting reading all this, this months looks to maybe finish exciting with all this realignment.

Reaction Score
I think the B12 is looking at $50M per team not the $30M bandied about. So, we would be friggin nuts not to jump. Better conference in Football (actually no conf), men’s basketball, women’s basketball, baseball , softball, track, swimming, volleyball, golf. Maybe the BE has an edge in rowing.

Reaction Score
The most well connected Big 12 writer from the Oklahoman seconds my beliefs that church league members like UConn simply do not move the needle and have no support from the universities.

For the most well connected Big 12 writer you’d think he’d listen to what Yormark says before writing an incorrect dissertation on Twitter.

Reaction Score
Where I think things get more interesting is would they want to show them? Would ACC partners be angered that a school that left the conference is still being shown under a part of their media contract instead of them? If they don't show them then ESPN is foregoing the potential revenue. Would the refusal to show the departing teams games constitute "frustration of purpose" regarding the original grant of rights? To be honest, I'd really love to see one of these things get litigated because there are a ton of moving pieces to it.
My understanding of the GOR was much more simplistic. If a team left for the big 10 they could go and play on their network and be a full member of the league, however when the tv money came in their money would get sent to the ACC office and not their school.

CL82

Reaction Score
My understanding of the GOR was much more simplistic. If a team left for the big 10 they could go and play on their network and be a full member of the league, however when the tv money came in their money would get sent to the ACC office and not their school.
You know, that is a possibility and not and reasonable one. I view it as no one other than ESPN can broadcaster games because the leak transferred their rights to ESPN.

Reaction Score

Colorado is an interesting case I've been following since Sal Aunese. They have a lot going for them including decent markets and a very desirable location. They seem to have gotten in their own way lately, but I think the FB and BB potential is still there to win and draw viewers as well as their fan base. They also have a decent NE Alumni fan base. If you don't want to travel there not sure what to tell you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom