Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
But is 17 million not better than 4.5? They will have to likely scale in to a full share. Still better than anything than will ever come from the BE, but i too remain not convinced that offer is ever coming. It leaked too early for nothing to have happened already.
I'm listening to a YouTube video now where they are saying that the PAC media deal won't be announced until after the football season has started. Meanwhile, the BYU AD said that the expansion window will close once the football season starts. The PAC is really screwing it up for us.

Reaction Score
Yormark isn’t going to announce the additions piecemeal. He’s waiting on Colorado and Colorado is waiting on the PAC to present the media numbers first. Colorado doesn’t want to look like the bad guys that would’ve given the pac a crappier deal. The crappy deal will give Colorado an out.

If for some reason Colorado stays in the pac I think there’s a good shot that Yorkmark will pull the trigger and add UConn solo to take us off the table.
Have to hope that this is the scenario.

Reaction Score
I'm listening to a YouTube video now where they are saying that the PAC media deal won't be announced until after the football season has started. Meanwhile, the BYU AD said that the expansion window will close once the football season starts. The PAC is really screwing it up for us.
At least we don't have to get out of a fb conference, so in the scenario that we are chosen and go all by ourselves it is easier to pull off timing wise. That said, I don't think we go alone.

Reaction Score
It would be nice of them to take UConn solo but don’t think there is a threat of them going elsewhere.

pj

Reaction Score
I generally agree but am I miss remembering a Georgetown series while we were in the AAC?

If I had to rank “rivals” I’d say:
Syracuse
Villanova
Georgetown

Wherever we go we’ll make new ones.

1. Kansas.
2. Baylor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It appears that delay is the best tool in the toolbox for them. Eventually, they'll have to announce whatever media deal they cobble together and then I suspect all the delay and misinformation will be costly to them. But in the near term, they have been successful in keeping everything on hold.

CL82

Reaction Score
At least we don't have to get out of a fb conference, so in the scenario that we are chosen and go all by ourselves it is easier to pull off timing wise. That said, I don't think we go alone.
There's a rumor floating around out there that football would go in 2024 and basketball whenever we can get clear of the Big East. In many ways, that's the best of all possible worlds for us.

Reaction Score
It appears that delay is the best tool in the toolbox for them. Eventually, they'll have to announce whatever media deal they cobble together and then I suspect all the delay and misinformation will be costly to them. But in the near term, they have been successful in keeping everything on hold.
I think it'll be like the old school game Kerplunk. If one or two schools depart, it will likely hold together but if the third goes without a backfill quickly the whole thing will come tumbling down.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think it'll be like the old school game Kerplunk. If one or two schools depart, it will likely hold together but if the third goes without a backfill quickly the whole thing will come tumbling down.
Perfect analogy for those of us old enough to remember that game.

1689518809982.jpeg

Reaction Score
There's a rumor floating around out there that football would go in 2024 and basketball whenever we can get clear of the Big East. In many ways, that's the best of all possible worlds for us.
I don't see them even being interested if we are minus basketball for a short time

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's an interesting strategy by the P-12; if they don't get a TV deal, nobody will leave. It's kind of like in No Time for Sergeants when the father of Andy Griffith's character kept throwing away letters from the draft board thinking if they didn't open them, his son wouldn't get drafted.

At some point, soon (at worst a couple weeks after their football media day) something has to be announced. They cannot go on without some media agreement and at some point member schools are going to either demand answers or look elsewhere. Sadly, this delay could cause more chaos than we would like and hurt us on many levels. If half (or more) of the remaining P-12 is on the open market the rush to the B-12 could resemble the California gold rush. Additionally (with the BE being our permanent home if this happens), if a conference like the P-12 couldn't get a fair media deal, who's to say the BE won't also get low balled when the next contract is negotiated. Our largest problem there would be that half the conference would be satisfied with a cut raate deal.

Reaction Score
With the notable exception of Rutgers (Rutgers got lucky), I don’t see the B1G or SEC adding any school in need of football development, like UConn, assuming those two apex conferences intend to grow to 20, or, possibly, to 24 schools.

Nonetheless, is there a path UConn might position itself in to someday rate the B1G or the SEC? I think yes, maybe so. It is a longer-shot scenario, but nonetheless a possible future, increasingly discussed.

More specifically, from the pov of UConn, UConn needs to position itself to become indispensable for the B1G or SEC if a mythical “NCAA breakaway” causes those two P2 conferences to move to 27, or, possibly, 32. A breakaway magnifies the value of basketball, with which UConn is blessed abundantly.

Before the future breakaway (assuming it happens), I think UConn could mature it’s football (and infrastructure) in the right football developmental league into an attractive candidate for the B1G or SEC. Here’s why:

1) UConn is located squarely in the middle of the NE Corridor, sitting right there between NYC and Boston. Recall that Delaney always dreamed of the B1G owning the NE Corridor. Can any league control the NE Corridor without UConn?
2) UCon is a public university, not a private university (like BC). UConn will therefore be likely to have greater future revenue projection than most private football universities.
3) There is no other public university north of Maryland (to include Boston) to compete with UConn. I’m thinking UMass cannot develop more quickly than can UConn.

So, what are UConn’s realistic options?

The B12 and the ACC seem to be the only eastern, or near eastern, “major developmental football leagues” going into the future. I include the ACC as a “developmental football league” only because it seems inevitable today that the ACC will get picked over no later than 2033-34, perhaps much earlier, but certainly long before 2036. IOW, also long before a “breakaway” will likely occur.

The obvious football developmental league for UConn is the ACC, right? For the nearer term, should UConn be hoping for an ACC invitation? Maybe. Then again, maybe not.

To divine the best path forward, we need to think about the B1G and SEC viz-a-viz the ACC and the PAC.

If either or both of the B1G and SEC expand 20 or 24 schools, those additions will come from, best I can tell, ND, the PAC, or the ACC, which leaves out UConn.

We’ve all read rumblings from all 3 of ND (they want a $70m+ TV deal), the PAC (much uncertainty over no TV deal), and the ACC (much uncertainty over their TV deal).

TV, TV, TV -> viewers, viewers, viewers -> population, population, population. Population is up UConn’s alley.

I don’t think the SEC has interest in any PTZ or MTZ schools, best I can tell, but, obviously, the PAC has such western interest. IMO, the B1G will be forced to look west again to add at least two additional PAC schools, due to USCLA [soon to be] crying for a couple of additional western outposts for USCLA Olympic sports.

Luckily for USCLA, Washington has excellent TV value, as does Oregon, and, to a lesser extent, Utah. Why wouldn’t the B1G want to own the majority of West Coast college football TV viewers?

For UConn, the B1G’s west coast needs are important to consider with respect to UConn’s prospects as a member of the ACC, especially if UConn somehow eschews a possible future B12 offer.

Can we all agree the ACC has problems - serious problems - with its membership? Clemson and FSU, ringleaders of the “Unhappy Mag7”, seem like they would bail on the ACC immediately if they can successfully manipulate the rocks and shoals of the GOR, right? The SEC would take them both, no questions asked, and possibly the B1G would, too.

If the ACC gets around the GOR, I could see both the B1G and the SEC being willing to take in some combination of Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, UVA, VT, NCSU, and possibly GT, Duke, and Pitt, but, if UConn were suddenly in the ACC, probably not UConn (although I could be wrong - I’m only guessing).

The B1G could accept 2-6 ACC schools, but not 8, due to remaining western expansion (and the SEC will be taking ACC schools, too). The SEC, being fully oriented to the east, could take up to 8 ACC schools (but I think the SEC would stop at 4 or 5 ACC schools).

IOW, the heart of the ACC may well be ripped out by the B1G and the SEC once the ACC cracks open, which seems sooner rather than later.

The point is that if the ACC is picked over by both the B1G and the SEC, which seems likely, the B12 over the ACC might be a better football choice regardless of timing - and certainly a more stable choice - for UConn, within which to await a breakaway.

While I understand that the majority of UConn posters on this site seem to favor accepting a B12 offer if one comes - and no B12 offer has been extended, I get it - I guess this post, in the end, is just another “I concur” opinion coming from a long-time reader of this board (albeit not a UConn guy).

So, the ACC? UConn? Maybe a mistake? The B12? UConn? I concur.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't see them even being interested if we are minus basketball for a short time
Conferences want new additions to get up to speed quickly. Adding UConn football first would be one way to do it.

And it seems like it would fit in well with UConn's TV deal which expires this year.

"UConn on Monday announced an agreement with CBS Sports Network, which will carry four home games in the upcoming 2020 season — if there is one — and every home game through 2023. The four-year deal comes with a pair of two-year network options that could push the agreement to eight years, through the 2027 season".

Reaction Score
Conferences want new additions to get up to speed quickly. Adding UConn football first would be one way to do it.

And it seems like it would fit in well with UConn's TV deal which expires this year.
Or, game scheduling contract change/cancellation deadlines for 2024 season, e.g., must change/cancel before 2023 season begins, or owe more dinero to 2024 opponents for buyouts or rearranged future season dates.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Well, if they're getting a pro rata share from their media partners and it doesn't cost them a dime, I don't think it will be an issue.

Reaction Score
The ACC is a deadman walking. Joining that conference would be out the pan and into the fire. It’s going to be picked apart like a Roasted Hen. The B12 will settle in as the P3 with the B1G and SEC being 1and 2. There will be tier 2 remnant conferences like the PAC-MW left overs, an old BE like ACC. If you’re not in the P3 you’re in big trouble.

Reaction Score
The ACC is a deadman walking. Joining that conference would be out the pan and into the fire. It’s going to be picked apart like a Roasted Hen. The B12 will settle in as the P3 with the B1G and SEC being 1and 2. There will be tier 2 remnant conferences like the PAC-MW left overs, an old BE like ACC. If you’re not in the P3 you’re in big trouble.

Maybe. But I wouldn't be surprised if ACC survived and backfilled if it ultimately loses six or fewer fulltime members to the Big Ten and SEC.

Reaction Score
Someone on CSNBBS posted this interview with Brett Yormark. And as someone else posted, he said "New York" three times in his answer to the last question.

Q: If we talk two years from now and you have not added two schools to get back to 14, would you be disappointed?

YORMARK: “That’s a great question. First time I’ve been asked that way. I would say if in two years we have not solidified ourselves at 14, I would be a little disappointed. Just because I’m so bullish on our conference. I think there is really opportunity and possibility out there for us. I love the 12. I think we have great makeup right now, especially with the four new members and the continuing eight.

But two years from now, I’d like to see us kind of look at things a little differently and maybe look a little differently. And hopefully, that happens. And if that doesn’t happen, it is okay. But I’d say I guess I’d be slightly disappointed.”

Q: Is 14 the preferred number?

YORMARK: “You know what, I’m not chasing a number. But I like 14. I like it. You think about media days – we’re going seven [teams] one day, seven the next. It’s a nice, even number. It’s a nice number. I guess you can say I’ve gotten used to it a little bit, even though it’s our first time as a 14-team league. To the extent that we can stay there, it would be great. If we go back to 12 and stay at 12, I guess that’s okay, too. But 14 kind of feels right.”

Q: If you can get there with expansion, why is stretching the league’s footprint coast to coast, all four time zones, and becoming a so-called national conference – why is that important?

YORMARK: “It’s a great question. From a brand perspective, I want us to be perceived nationally and recognized. That wasn’t the case when I took the job. People in New York said, ‘Where are you going?’ The Big 12. ‘The Big what?’ And that’s Ok. Our brand awareness doesn’t resonate everywhere. And I want to change that. One way to change that is to create a new narrative and profile, which we are doing to leverage the influence of ESPN and Fox.

“Another approach to take is creating a footprint nationally. It gives you a vested interest in those markets. Certainly probably more challenging to do that but certainly a possibility. If the situation presents itself, where it’s additive and creates value, enables us to reach some of our goals and objectives, we’ll do that. But with the case of Rucker Park next week, we’re going to be in New York. We are taking new IP there. We are broadening our horizons, exposing our brand. So, there are different ways to get to where we want to go beyond just expansion – by just creating a presence in these markets that we are not in.

“Last year, about 30 days after I got hired, we did a media blitz in New York. That was the first time we had ever done that as a conference. It gave us a great narrative and great momentum heading into our first football season. There are different ways to accomplish our goals. It’s really incumbent on me to explore all of those different avenues and see where we end up.”

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Someone on CSNBBS posted this interview with Brett Yormark. And as someone else posted, he said "New York" three times in his answer to the last question.

Q: If we talk two years from now and you have not added two schools to get back to 14, would you be disappointed?

YORMARK: “That’s a great question. First time I’ve been asked that way. I would say if in two years we have not solidified ourselves at 14, I would be a little disappointed. Just because I’m so bullish on our conference. I think there is really opportunity and possibility out there for us. I love the 12. I think we have great makeup right now, especially with the four new members and the continuing eight.

But two years from now, I’d like to see us kind of look at things a little differently and maybe look a little differently. And hopefully, that happens. And if that doesn’t happen, it is okay. But I’d say I guess I’d be slightly disappointed.”

Q: Is 14 the preferred number?

YORMARK: “You know what, I’m not chasing a number. But I like 14. I like it. You think about media days – we’re going seven [teams] one day, seven the next. It’s a nice, even number. It’s a nice number. I guess you can say I’ve gotten used to it a little bit, even though it’s our first time as a 14-team league. To the extent that we can stay there, it would be great. If we go back to 12 and stay at 12, I guess that’s okay, too. But 14 kind of feels right.”

Q: If you can get there with expansion, why is stretching the league’s footprint coast to coast, all four time zones, and becoming a so-called national conference – why is that important?

YORMARK: “It’s a great question. From a brand perspective, I want us to be perceived nationally and recognized. That wasn’t the case when I took the job. People in New York said, ‘Where are you going?’ The Big 12. ‘The Big what?’ And that’s Ok. Our brand awareness doesn’t resonate everywhere. And I want to change that. One way to change that is to create a new narrative and profile, which we are doing to leverage the influence of ESPN and Fox.

“Another approach to take is creating a footprint nationally. It gives you a vested interest in those markets. Certainly probably more challenging to do that but certainly a possibility. If the situation presents itself, where it’s additive and creates value, enables us to reach some of our goals and objectives, we’ll do that. But with the case of Rucker Park next week, we’re going to be in New York. We are taking new IP there. We are broadening our horizons, exposing our brand. So, there are different ways to get to where we want to go beyond just expansion – by just creating a presence in these markets that we are not in.

“Last year, about 30 days after I got hired, we did a media blitz in New York. That was the first time we had ever done that as a conference. It gave us a great narrative and great momentum heading into our first football season. There are different ways to accomplish our goals. It’s really incumbent on me to explore all of those different avenues and see where we end up.”
Would be a pretty good time to announce us.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Maybe. But I wouldn't be surprised if ACC survived and backfilled if it ultimately loses six or fewer fulltime members to the Big Ten and SEC.
Backfills with who exactly? Memphis, USF, Temple, Tulane, Georgia State, SMU, Buffalo maybe? Does that sound like a power conference, assuming Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, etc. are there as well?

I'd rather be in the B12.

Reaction Score
Backfills with who exactly? Memphis, USF, Temple, Tulane, Georgia State, SMU, Buffalo maybe? Does that sound like a power conference, assuming Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, etc. are there as well?

Georgia Tech and Pitt would be taken by the Big 12.

Reaction Score

UConn should go to the Big 12 if an opportunity presents itself.

I was just addressing the proposition that the ACC is definitely toast. If six or less full time members leave for the Big Ten and SEC, I believe the odds are decent that the eight or more remainders would stick together.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The ACC isn't toast but it is basically a prison to the few members who know they could do better. This is compounded by the fact that a) the B-12 will begin a new media contract, that will be more lucrative than the ACC's in a couple of years and b) the B-12 will be up for renewal (and the opportunity for an even more lucrative deal) five years before the ACC is up for renewal.

The ACC basically signed up for a 30 year fixed mortgage at 7.75% with a prohibitive early payment fee not long before mortgage rates dropped below 4%.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom