Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
Interview with Brett Yormark.

“Last year, about 30 days after I got hired, we did a media blitz in New York. That was the first time we had ever done that as a conference. It gave us a great narrative and great momentum heading into our first football season. There are different ways to accomplish our goals. It’s really incumbent on me to explore all of those different avenues and see where we end up.”
In a separate interview he also spoke about New York and how important it was to be there. The key phrase he used was “I wanted to gain traction in New York and since we don’t have a school in the Northeast we thought about Rucker Park and bringing our conference members in to have an event at that iconic venue”
I heard that as ‘we don’t have a team up there yet—but that’s the plan!’

Reaction Score
New York, like Boston is extremely provincial. They have no interest in teams outside their city and state. It’s even difficult for their local colleges to get much interest from the locals. I highly doubt anyone cared that the B1G 12 did anything in NYC. Heck the B1G can’t even sellout MSG for their hoops and hockey doubleheaders.

Reaction Score
New York, like Boston is extremely provincial. They have no interest in teams outside their city and state. It’s even difficult for their local colleges to get much interest from the locals. I highly doubt anyone cared that the B1G 12 did anything in NYC. Heck the B1G can’t even sellout MSG for their hoops and hockey doubleheaders.
When's the last time their "local" college football or basketball was any good? Even when we had a true rival in Cuse or even SJU in the BE seemed like more UConn fans in MSG. At least when I was there.

pj

Reaction Score
With the notable exception of Rutgers (Rutgers got lucky), I don’t see the B1G or SEC adding any school in need of football development, like UConn, assuming those two apex conferences intend to grow to 20, or, possibly, to 24 schools.

Nonetheless, is there a path UConn might position itself in to someday rate the B1G or the SEC? I think yes, maybe so. It is a longer-shot scenario, but nonetheless a possible future, increasingly discussed.

More specifically, from the pov of UConn, UConn needs to position itself to become indispensable for the B1G or SEC if a mythical “NCAA breakaway” causes those two P2 conferences to move to 27, or, possibly, 32. A breakaway magnifies the value of basketball, with which UConn is blessed abundantly.

Before the future breakaway (assuming it happens), I think UConn could mature it’s football (and infrastructure) in the right football developmental league into an attractive candidate for the B1G or SEC. Here’s why:

1) UConn is located squarely in the middle of the NE Corridor, sitting right there between NYC and Boston. Recall that Delaney always dreamed of the B1G owning the NE Corridor. Can any league control the NE Corridor without UConn?
2) UCon is a public university, not a private university (like BC). UConn will therefore be likely to have greater future revenue projection than most private football universities.
3) There is no other public university north of Maryland (to include Boston) to compete with UConn. I’m thinking UMass cannot develop more quickly than can UConn.

So, what are UConn’s realistic options?

The B12 and the ACC seem to be the only eastern, or near eastern, “major developmental football leagues” going into the future. I include the ACC as a “developmental football league” only because it seems inevitable today that the ACC will get picked over no later than 2033-34, perhaps much earlier, but certainly long before 2036. IOW, also long before a “breakaway” will likely occur.

The obvious football developmental league for UConn is the ACC, right? For the nearer term, should UConn be hoping for an ACC invitation? Maybe. Then again, maybe not.

To divine the best path forward, we need to think about the B1G and SEC viz-a-viz the ACC and the PAC.

If either or both of the B1G and SEC expand 20 or 24 schools, those additions will come from, best I can tell, ND, the PAC, or the ACC, which leaves out UConn.

We’ve all read rumblings from all 3 of ND (they want a $70m+ TV deal), the PAC (much uncertainty over no TV deal), and the ACC (much uncertainty over their TV deal).

TV, TV, TV -> viewers, viewers, viewers -> population, population, population. Population is up UConn’s alley.

I don’t think the SEC has interest in any PTZ or MTZ schools, best I can tell, but, obviously, the PAC has such western interest. IMO, the B1G will be forced to look west again to add at least two additional PAC schools, due to USCLA [soon to be] crying for a couple of additional western outposts for USCLA Olympic sports.

Luckily for USCLA, Washington has excellent TV value, as does Oregon, and, to a lesser extent, Utah. Why wouldn’t the B1G want to own the majority of West Coast college football TV viewers?

For UConn, the B1G’s west coast needs are important to consider with respect to UConn’s prospects as a member of the ACC, especially if UConn somehow eschews a possible future B12 offer.

Can we all agree the ACC has problems - serious problems - with its membership? Clemson and FSU, ringleaders of the “Unhappy Mag7”, seem like they would bail on the ACC immediately if they can successfully manipulate the rocks and shoals of the GOR, right? The SEC would take them both, no questions asked, and possibly the B1G would, too.

If the ACC gets around the GOR, I could see both the B1G and the SEC being willing to take in some combination of Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, UVA, VT, NCSU, and possibly GT, Duke, and Pitt, but, if UConn were suddenly in the ACC, probably not UConn (although I could be wrong - I’m only guessing).

The B1G could accept 2-6 ACC schools, but not 8, due to remaining western expansion (and the SEC will be taking ACC schools, too). The SEC, being fully oriented to the east, could take up to 8 ACC schools (but I think the SEC would stop at 4 or 5 ACC schools).

IOW, the heart of the ACC may well be ripped out by the B1G and the SEC once the ACC cracks open, which seems sooner rather than later.

The point is that if the ACC is picked over by both the B1G and the SEC, which seems likely, the B12 over the ACC might be a better football choice regardless of timing - and certainly a more stable choice - for UConn, within which to await a breakaway.

While I understand that the majority of UConn posters on this site seem to favor accepting a B12 offer if one comes - and no B12 offer has been extended, I get it - I guess this post, in the end, is just another “I concur” opinion coming from a long-time reader of this board (albeit not a UConn guy).

So, the ACC? UConn? Maybe a mistake? The B12? UConn? I concur.

Generally, the B12 gives more money than the ACC right now and seems to be a better landing place. The instability of the ACC wouldn't be bad if UConn could be confident an ACC breakup would make it a candidate for the B10 ... but that would require considerable football progress and maybe academic progress toward AAU status.

I agree that the B1G would probably want to add West Coast schools to complement USC/UCLA, but why are Washington and Oregon always mentioned but not Arizona? Arizona has almost double the population of Oregon, is closer to USC/UCLA, and is AAU. It seems to me Washington, Oregon, Arizona, and Stanford would all be strong schools for the B1G.

On the East Coast, it seems UNC, UVa, Notre Dame would be the top 3 and then maybe UConn or Georgia Tech fourth.

SEC would be a remote possibility for UConn if they decide, like Yormark/B12, that the New York / New England market is strategic.

So I would expect UConn might be as high as #8 on the B1G's expansion list and could become important to SEC if their strategy changes.

Either way, the B12 seems like a good place for UConn to develop its football and its athletic brand.

Reaction Score
I agree that the B1G would probably want to add West Coast schools to complement USC/UCLA, but why are Washington and Oregon always mentioned but not Arizona? Arizona has almost double the population of Oregon, is closer to USC/UCLA, and is AAU.
Football is the reason. Academics may also come into play, but it’s mostly football. Oregon and Washington are seen to be football schools. Arizona is a basketball school.

Reaction Score
Arizona is UConn in a warmer climate with a significantly lesser BB pedigree, and a slightly improved football program.

Going to assume UConn is better academically, but I could be wrong.

History shows UConn has done more with P5 status that Arizona.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Generally, the B12 gives more money than the ACC right now and seems to be a better landing place. The instability of the ACC wouldn't be bad if UConn could be confident an ACC breakup would make it a candidate for the B10 ... but that would require considerable football progress and maybe academic progress toward AAU status.

I agree that the B1G would probably want to add West Coast schools to complement USC/UCLA, but why are Washington and Oregon always mentioned but not Arizona? Arizona has almost double the population of Oregon, is closer to USC/UCLA, and is AAU. It seems to me Washington, Oregon, Arizona, and Stanford would all be strong schools for the B1G.

On the East Coast, it seems UNC, UVa, Notre Dame would be the top 3 and then maybe UConn or Georgia Tech fourth.

SEC would be a remote possibility for UConn if they decide, like Yormark/B12, that the New York / New England market is strategic.

So I would expect UConn might be as high as #8 on the B1G's expansion list and could become important to SEC if their strategy changes.

Either way, the B12 seems like a good place for UConn to develop its football and its athletic brand.
Population doesn’t really matter. Oregon is a big brand in football. All those crazy uniforms and the Nike money worked. Washington is a much bigger program historically but Oregon really pumped up their brand. Arizona would be way behind either of them.

Reaction Score
Arizona is UConn in a warmer climate with a significantly lesser BB pedigree, and a slightly improved football program.

Going to assume UConn is better academically, but I could be wrong.

History shows UConn has done more with P5 status that Arizona.
UConn ranks higher than both Arizona schools in USN&WR, but may fall short in other areas. Each of the four-corner schools, for example, is now AAU. I'd imagine that administrators attach greater importance to the latter -- metrics like research activity, endowment, number of professional and doctoral programs, number of peer-reviewed publications, the number of PhDs granted, number of faculty elected to membership in national academies, and so on. I believe that USN&WR rankings are more subjective and may be biased toward undergraduate reputation, which is why parents of high school kids dote on them, but the big dollar grants administrators seek are based on more objective measures of performance at the grad and post-grad levels.

It's one thing to claim that a school offers a great creative writing curriculum and another to acknowledge that a school's graduate aerospace engineering program or cancer research efforts garner tens or hundreds of millions of dollars in government grants each year. Apples and oranges.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Arizona, below article talks about how they may be standing in UConn's way of a Big 12 invite (I didn't see it posted anywhere on the BY).

This website is kind of absurd. The guy that wrote is not even a sports journalist or blogger. All this site does is publish red meat for fans to consume. There are no cited sources other than a noted Big 12 person.

Don't buy into this supposed press release.

Author's, bio

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
will be praying for you tomorrow in church.

cincinnati will be receiving a full share in ‘25 which will be nearly quadruple the church league and are a very important add to the big 12.

numbers don’t lie and everyone can see how poorly rated any big east game is on fox. doesn’t bode well for future tv negotiations.

reality is slowing setting among the mid majors that they are so far behind and will never catch up, this is why uconn media members and boosters are talking to any one who will listen trying to convince themselves that the big 12 is interested in them.

again, prayers to you and your family. you will need it.
It is not wise to make a mockery of prayer. God will not be mocked

Reaction Score
New York and provincial should probably not be put into the same sentence

Reaction Score
UConn ranks higher than both Arizona schools in USN&WR, but may fall short in other areas. Each of the four-corner schools, for example, is now AAU. I'd imagine that administrators attach greater importance to the latter -- metrics like research activity, endowment, number of professional and doctoral programs, number of peer-reviewed publications, the number of PhDs granted, number of faculty elected to membership in national academies, and so on. I believe that USN&WR rankings are more subjective and may be biased toward undergraduate reputation, which is why parents of high school kids dote on them, but the big dollar grants administrators seek are based on more objective measures of performance at the grad and post-grad levels.

It's one thing to claim that a school offers a great creative writing curriculum and another to acknowledge that a school's graduate aerospace engineering program or cancer research efforts garner tens or hundreds of millions of dollars in government grants each year. Apples and oranges.
AAU requires breadth. You can't be solely research/science. This is why, for instance, many excellent tech schools like RPI or Virginia Tech aren't in it

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

New York City is provincial when it comes to sports? What in the world...

Reaction Score
I hate the ACC as much as the next guy but it would be a way better conference for UConn than the B12.

Yes, even when Clemson and FSU leave for SEC. And even when UVA and UNC leave for the B1G.

If ACC was smart and added UConn, they would be in prime position to lure WVU and Cincy to join their old brethren down the road.

Really a shame that conference is so myopic

Reaction Score
I hate the ACC as much as the next guy but it would be a way better conference for UConn than the B12.

Yes, even when Clemson and FSU leave for SEC. And even when UVA and UNC leave for the B1G.

If ACC was smart and added UConn, they would be in prime position to lure WVU and Cincy to join their old brethren down the road.

When those teams leave, there will be no ACC conference left. The SEC, B1G 10 and the Big 12 will take everything except the bottom feeders.

Wake Forest, BC and maybe Syracuse. If the ACC tries to add UConn right now it would only speed up their demise.

The Big 12 is where it's at for UConn for any long term plan

Reaction Score
When those teams leave, there will be no ACC conference left. The SEC, B1G 10 and the Big 12 will take everything except the bottom feeders
I disagree then it comes to Big 12. B1G and SEC sure, they drive the bus.

ACC without those 4 teams is still a better collection of "Brands" than B12 IMO.

Pitt VaTech Louisville Duke NC State GT Miami
Vs
Kansas Baylor OKSt Texas Tech ISU KSU BYU

Maybe it's East Coast bias but if I am UConn, WVU or Cincy, I prefer that first grouping

The wildcard of course is how far the B1G and SEC want to go. It's not inconceivable that NCSt, GT, and Miami could all bolt as well. That worst case scenario makes it more of a tossup but still not the landslide it's made out to be here

Reaction Score
FSU, Clemson, UNC etc. are not adding UConn unless they get more money. They are going to hold the conference hostage until they get their way. There's just no chance of them adding anyone right now.
Is the acc network in CT?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Is the acc network in CT?
How much would it add? Would it add ~$36 million a year? ESPN is not adding more money to the contract. The ACC knows it as does UConn. The money has to come from cable boxes and tourney credits? Would those add up to $36 million? Will they continue to add that much in 12 years? I don’t know but I’m sure the ACC and UConn admin do. It’s why there is no talk of UConn being added.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

No way. ACC is toast. B10, SEC, and B12 are the power conferences of the future. Once FSU, Clemson, UNC, Virginia, and/or GT leave, the conference will be the new Atlantic 10.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom