Big 12 Meetings | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The internet has created opportunities for people who would otherwise be bagging groceries. When baseball expanded, the overall quality of pitching went to crap.

Reaction Score
Anyone who gives a football answer for what is happening in realignment shouldn't be allowed to write on the topic.
Not once have I read about the overall strength of the UConn athletic department and how much content we would provide a network. To me, the choices should be BYU and UConn and it's not even close. Cincy really doesn't provide all that much. They are a filler at best.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 will expand.

It is an imperative for survival and their leadership knows this.

It is only a matter of how many (12 or going to 14) and who.

Reaction Score
Wetzel has some valid points about the role of the bowl orgs not wanting playoff expansion influencing conference realignment...

Big 12 should push to expand the playoff, not its conference
He should change the title to include at the end, "While allowing the B1g and SEC to make double the revenue"

The fact that adding two potential G5 football teams still holds value to the conference is only an ancillary benefit. Its not about football. Its certainly not about the playoff. Its about securing a network.

Reaction Score
They should lobby to expand playoffs but expanding playoffs is not all that necessary at this time?
Was he arguing against himself?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
lol, a Texas writer quotes an unnamed official saying nobody's talking about expansion when there's on-the-record quotes about expansion. It's obvious Texas is still in negotiation mode while the rest of the conference seems ready to start looking at candidates.

Reaction Score
He should change the title to include at the end, "While allowing the B1g and SEC to make double the revenue"

The fact that adding two potential G5 football teams still holds value to the conference is only an ancillary benefit. Its not about football. Its certainly not about the playoff. Its about securing a network.

It's about live content 7x24x365 and advertising dollars. For a single school, football drives mega ratings 12 times a year. Men's basketball drives ratings at a lower tier 36-38 times a year. That's a lot of advertising time from November to March. We are unique in that our Women's team will generate advertising dollars at a lower level in our DMA which is ranked 20/21. We can argue about contribution, but they will be in the black. With the B12, hockey is not part of the equation, but it would be for the B10. For a network, it's the sum of the parts.

Over the course of a year, which school can provide the most advertising dollars in their markets. For all of their national appeal, I am not sure that BYU in their DMA can exceed our revenue generation in our DMA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What the Big 12 does not have is a good image, and the only way that is going to change is if Texas is Texas.

This is the Texas mindset in the nutshell. It's all about them. Expansion dilutes their power. They hold out for an elevated share of revenue, such that their new net number is increased, then pretend to be magnanimous in allowing expansion.

Reaction Score
What the Big 12 does not have is a good image, and the only way that is going to change is if Texas is Texas.

This is the Texas mindset in the nutshell. It's all about them. Expansion dilutes their power. They hold out for an elevated share of revenue, such that their new net number is increased, then pretend to be magnanimous in allowing expansion.
But in the end, the only way Texas is Texas is if the Big12 remains solvent. If OU goes to the SEC and Texas goes either to the ACC or Pac-12, they will be a shell of their former selves.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Similar to adding the phrase "In the backseat of a car" when reading your fortune from the fortune cookie".

What people keep missing on the expansion/revenue/conference network regarding the Big12 is that 10 teams is too few to sustain a conference network with live games. You still have Tier 1/2 rights that have to be doled out. Once they are done, there aren't enough games left to fill a network. So, no one wants to go in on a network.

That's where the Big12 is disadvantaged with 10. As is often said in war, quantity in large enough numbers becomes a quality in and of itself.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's about live content 7x24x365 and advertising dollars. ...We are unique in that our Women's team will generate advertising dollars at a lower level in our DMA which is ranked 20/21.

Over the course of a year, which school can provide the most advertising dollars in their markets. For all of their national appeal, I am not sure that BYU in their DMA can exceed our revenue generation in our DMA.

It's not just in our DMA. The women's team vs. Notre Dame in the regular season got a 1.5 that's higher than EVERY SINGLE BYU football game. Except for BYU-Michigan and BYU-Nebraska... And while we're at it... look at UConn/BYU on ESPN2, it beats UCLA/BYU on FS1, Boise State/BYU on ESPN2.. and is almost as high as Cinnci/BYU on ESPN.

Stuff like this is why I get annoyed when people down play football TV ratings. You put UConn on a decent platform (not ESPNN/ESPNU) against a decent opponent (hullo B12 schedule) and our ratings are solid.

Reaction Score
It's not just in our DMA. The women's team vs. Notre Dame in the regular season got a 1.5 that's higher than EVERY SINGLE BYU football game. Except for BYU-Michigan and BYU-Nebraska... And while we're at it... look at UConn/BYU on ESPN2, it beats UCLA/BYU on FS1, Boise State/BYU on ESPN2.. and is almost as high as Cinnci/BYU on ESPN.

Stuff like this is why I get annoyed when people down play football TV ratings. You put UConn on a decent platform (not ESPNN/ESPNU) against a decent opponent (hullo B12 schedule) and our ratings are solid.

It is difficult to separate who is being watched when you watch a good platform play....The analysts noted that Northwestern in 2014 had inflated viewership ratings because only five of their games were rated....only their most attractive match ups were picked up...against Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, etc...and they thus ended up with a rank as the #16 most watched team based on ratings.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It is difficult to separate who is being watched when you watch a good platform play....The analysts noted that Northwestern in 2014 had inflated viewership ratings because only five of their games were rated....only their most attractive match ups were picked up...against Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, etc...and they thus ended up with a rank as the #16 most watched team based on ratings.

I know... I mean UConn/BYU ratings on ESPN2 were basically the same as FSU/Wake Forest on ESPN. ;)

Time of day and opponent matter too... but UConn's numbers are pretty good when you try to compare apples to apples the best you can.

Reaction Score
I know... I mean UConn/BYU ratings on ESPN2 were basically the same as FSU/Wake Forest on ESPN. ;)

Time of day and opponent matter too... but UConn's numbers are pretty good when you try to compare apples to apples the best you can.

Yes...BYU-UConn drew 1.24 million...not shabby...

FSU-Wake did draw 1.27 million a real downswing from FSU-BC (3.15 million) two weeks before....the Wake effect?

But Memphis-USF drew 1.15 million on ESPN2 same weekend at 10:00 PM...also not shabby

Last edited:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Yes...BYU-UConn drew 1.24 million...not shabby...

BUT...FSU-Wake did draw 1.27 million....

Actually if you weren't up against Alabama/Georgia and OSU/Indiana on the networks you'd probably have done a bit better too... it's all about the context... my point is when we're on a real station we're competitive.

Reaction Score
When I read about University of Memphis I picture drab gray concrete buildingso on a rainy day students looking miserable walking around in hideous royal blue sweatshirts. Not sure how accurate it is its just my mental image every time.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
When I read about University of Memphis I picture drab gray concrete buildingso on a rainy day students looking miserable walking around in hideous royal blue sweatshirts. Not sure how accurate it is its just my mental image every time.
Just add sporadic gunfire in the background and you've got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom