Big 12 expansion candidates down to at least 12 schools, sources say | The Boneyard

Big 12 expansion candidates down to at least 12 schools, sources say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And they are seriously really considering how many??? 5??? 6???

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Just a guess on my part (held this belief from when this began) but I believe there are only four candidates; UConn, Cincy, BYU and Houston.

The remaining issues are whether two or four schools should be added (on many levels I believe Houston only has a chance if it is four), can BYU be added (quite a bit of baggage but a quality asset) and how large can the geographic footprint become and still be manageable.

Reaction Score
Just a guess on my part (held this belief from when this began) but I believe there are only four candidates; UConn, Cincy, BYU and Houston.

The remaining issues are whether two or four schools should be added (on many levels I believe Houston only has a chance if it is four), can BYU be added (quite a bit of baggage but a quality asset) and how large can the geographic footprint become and still be manageable.
Memphis is 100% a legitimate candidate

Reaction Score
Perhaps you are correct but I don't see it.
logo-header-fedex.png

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Has anyone been able to confirm that Memphis even survived the first cut?

Reaction Score
UNLV, East Carolina and New Mexico have been informed

Big 12 no longer considering East Carolina, UNLV, New Mexico

At this point I think it is anyone's guess. When it comes to this league sensible logic isn't the same as Big XII logic.

I do think that Houston is pretty much a definite, due to the Texas State Legislature. Beyond that I think you can throw some darts at a board.

Reaction Score
Has anyone been able to confirm that Memphis even survived the first cut?
No source has confirmed that they made the cut. But then again, unless an athletic department says that they've notified that they've been rejected, everyone's still in.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
They could have just made the list shorter by saying which AAC teams are out of the running since it's basically the whole friggin' conference...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't think FedEx committing as a tournament sponsor means anything. They have not had a hard time with sponsors.
Plus they have that smell of desperation.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
*watching the Maine game*

"We are so duck*ed. "

Reaction Score
No source has confirmed that they made the cut. But then again, unless an athletic department says that they've notified that they've been rejected, everyone's still in.

FWIW, McMurphy tried to confirm that and was unable to, and he thinks they're probably out.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I don't think FedEx committing as a tournament sponsor means anything. They have not had a hard time with sponsors.
Plus they have that smell of desperation.
I get some whiffs of that around here as well, just more quiet and discrete.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
*watching the Maine game*

"We are so duck*ed. "
Ya know...the real killer isn't the team per se. That stadium wasn't 3/4 full by halftime. Maybe not even half full at 7pm. THAT is the troubling thing about UCONN football.

In CT it takes a Top 25 program coming in to get the crowds. Tulane, Maine, Central Fla will never do it.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
I would hope that at most the Big 12 would take 1 of Houston, SMU, or Rice. I mean half their conference is already teams from Texas so if you add 2 or 3 more they might as well just rename it to the CoT, Conference of Texas...

Reaction Score
^^^ As I have said on numerous occasions, Tejas runs this conference. Always has and always will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom