Big 12 expansion candidates down to at least 12 schools, sources say | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 expansion candidates down to at least 12 schools, sources say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would imagine the Top 5 on that list has to be BYU, UH, UC, UConn, UCF-- in no particular order

If it's 2 teams in, I can stomach Houston and BYU getting in.. What will make me vomit is Cincy beating us for this, allegedly Memphis is out.. If Memphis got in with a 4 team addition I'd lose my marbles.

Reaction Score
The best thing we can hope for if we don't get in is that no other AAC teams get in. At least it keeps our league intact for the moment. While the basketball leaves something to be desired we have a decent football league. It would be a shame if we got left behind and other AAC teams were taken. I think the league has proven that we can get some respect given multiple team's inclusion in last year's tournament. We need to win our games while we are here and win our league.

Reaction Score
After being at the Maine UConn game (albeit a little buzzed off of natural lights and $9 stadium beers to ease the pain) I can't comprehend how they beat this Houston team last year. Boggles my mind. After watching Houston today they deserve to be in the Big 12 since football runs the almighty money meter stick.

Looking back on my thoughts I realize I'm being a pessimist but Houston seems like a shoe in.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Texas does not want another strong team in Texas, competing for recruits. They have enough competition already. I (informed by a friend from Texas) think yesterday's Houston game scared Texas, and Texas will do everything they can to prevent Houston from joining.

Reaction Score
Texas does not want another strong team in Texas, competing for recruits. They have enough competition already. I (informed by a friend from Texas) think yesterday's Houston game scared Texas, and Texas will do everything they can to prevent Houston from joining.

The politicians in Texas who have been lobbying for this aren't going to stop because of a single game result.

Reaction Score
You never know what people are thinking.

A Houston v. Texas rivalry could eventually replace what they had with A&M, and that would hurt A&M.

If Texas is thinking long term and about leaving the conference, they could easily push for Houston.

I'll tell you which teams from Texas shouldn't be in the B12: TCU and Baylor. Despite their success from the last decade, these schools don't have large constituencies AND they are filling a vacuum in a talent rich area, a vacuum that should have more naturally fallen to Houston if things had played out right.

Reaction Score

A Houston v. Texas rivalry could eventually replace what they had with A&M, and that would hurt A&M.

If Texas is thinking long term and about leaving the conference, they could easily push for Houston.

I'll tell you which teams from Texas shouldn't be in the B12: TCU and Baylor. Despite their success from the last decade, these schools don't have large constituencies AND they are filling a vacuum in a talent rich area, a vacuum that should have more naturally fallen to Houston if things had played out right.
And OU and A&M can form a new Red River Rivalry in the SEC. Those are big if's that is way too early to say who the real winners are.

Reaction Score
The Houston political thing might be getting a little over blown. First of all, it is probably just reps from the Houston area that are fighting for this, not the whole legislature. Second, while UT might get a stronger presence in Houston in exchange for supporting Houston, it might not be as valuable as keeping their athletics programs in Austin stronger. And does Houston really want UT to have a stronger presence in Houston? Are they that stupid?

Reaction Score
The Houston political thing might be getting a little over blown. First of all, it is probably just reps from the Houston area that are fighting for this, not the whole legislature. Second, while UT might get a stronger presence in Houston in exchange for supporting Houston, it might not be as valuable as keeping their athletics programs in Austin stronger. And does Houston really want UT to have a stronger presence in Houston? Are they that stupid?

I think for $30 million a year they take that chance.

Reaction Score

TCU is fine, since that gives them a team in Dallas. Houston would have been a nice fit instead of Baylor.

Reaction Score
For myself, I hope the B1G wants us and swoops in to steal us before we make a mistake and marry the B12. I hope the B12 talk gets them moving sooner than they had planned to.

Wishful thinking but, hey, why not?

Reaction Score
That is one person, not their entire government. My point still holds.

I never said it was the entire government, and also it's more than just him. Your point that it's only local Houston reps doesn't hold, but you can say it again if it makes you feel better :)

Reaction Score
After being at the Maine UConn game (albeit a little buzzed off of natural lights and $9 stadium beers to ease the pain) I can't comprehend how they beat this Houston team last year. Boggles my mind. After watching Houston today they deserve to be in the Big 12 since football runs the almighty money meter stick.

Looking back on my thoughts I realize I'm being a pessimist but Houston seems like a shoe in.
We won with defense. I should have ran onto the damn field. Will probably be a while before that happens again.

Reaction Score
I hope they really are out, but has anyone confirmed it other than ESPN? Memphis President seems to think they are still in contention

AP Source: Memphis, Temple cut from Big 12 expansion field

>>The Big 12 has narrowed the field of candidates for possible expansion to 11 schools, with Memphis and Temple among the latest to be cut from consideration, a person with direct knowledge of the situation tells The Associated Press. The person spoke Friday on condition of anonymity because the Big 12 will not be making public any of its dealings with schools interested in joining the 10-team conference.<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom