Best Sandwich in Connecticut | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Best Sandwich in Connecticut

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I guess $12 is out of the question then?

Got a great N'awlins style food truck near me. Open 11-3 M-F. Fantastic Po Boys. I no kidding do not drive anywhere near that location because I know I will buy one.

Two days ago, due to circumstances I chose not to control, I went by there and got a fried shrimp and fried oyster Po Boy. It was so legit, once I go it I drove just to find red lights to make sure I ate that thing fresh. So dang good. And yes, I did check my popped out gut for fixins and fried food and plucked it off my shirt.

Worst part is the full size Po Boy is about $13. But they have a diabetics nightmare pineapple lemonade that is so damn good. When I was waiting in line, the guy in front of me was a newbie and wasn't sure whether to get the drink or not. Now I know it's fantastic and also a waste of $2.50 for 16oz mostly filled with ice. But after I convinced the newb in front of me it was worth it, I couldn't not buy my own. So, with tax and a tip it was $20 for a Po Boy and drink. And would do that every damn day if I could.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Nee
The "pulled" pork is fast cooked and cold cut ham, to boot.

The best Cubanos are home made. The last time we played South Florida at Rentschler, I made with pork loin and ham steak from the grill top, thick slicked swiss, spicy mustard "aioli" on a butter grilled sourdough roll.

Chef's Kiss
Needs pickles and needs to be pressed. Belleair Market down here in the Conn section of Clearwater! We got cubanos

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Do they still make a kiiler meatball grinder? That used to be one of my go-tos if i was in the area.
Best meatball grinder - Dough on Main in Deep River. Great meatballs on just the right roll with just the right sauce. Plenty big enough too.

Reaction Score
Well if we're leaving CT, I think the three best sandwiches in the country are all in New Orleans:

Cochon de Lait Po-Boy at Jazzfest (from Love at First Bite)

Muffuletta from Central Grocery

Le Pig Mac from Cochon Butcher (which also makes a killer Cubano)
Conchon de Lait from Katie's also.
First stop was Central, didn't bother to unpack the bags. I still can't believe couldn't find a meal in that town or at least admit to it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm racking my brain on anything really memorable in CT. All I can come up with are meatball and eggplant grinders from a local mom & pop pizza place long closed.

I do know the sandwich which I've had more than any other - the steak tips (Bobby Orr) sandwich at The Fours in Quincy. I lived up there for two years, must've eaten 80-100 of those.
Ive eaten plenty of good sandwiches but nothing that is mindblowing. Im open to all suggestions. A recent sandwich i ate that was pretty amazing was a Pat LaFrieda filet mignon cheesesteak. It was phenomenal but the second time i ate it it was still good but not like the first one. The cheeses was not as melted so it may have sat for a bit or something.

Reaction Score
Not to be a dick, but if you're in a thread about best sandwiches and you say you'd rather have grapes than a sandwich, what's the point of posting that? Just don't post if you don't like sandwiches.
Kinda reminds me of this old joke. How do you know someone is a vegan? Stand next to them for two minutes and they'll tell you.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Kinda reminds me of this old joke. How do you know someone is a vegan? Stand next to them for two minutes and they'll tell you.
My wife has an allergy to dairy, chicken eggs, and yeast. So we have taken to preparing vegan dinners. I can't complain about most of them...so long as we add a pound of sausage.

Reaction Score
I apologize to my sandwich eating friends.I veered off topic a little bit by saying I prefer eating fruit before I spend 10 bucks for an unhealthy sandwich.I didn't mean to upset my dictator friends feelings and others as well.Theres a lot of sensitive folks here.I will be more aware of what I post next time so as not to hurt anybody's feelings

Reaction Score
Chicken Cheddar Club from Pickles in Milford (RIP couple years back)

Currently on kick of any chicken cutlet sandwich from Rinaldi's in Stamford. Best chicken cutlet I've ever eaten.
They have the best chicken cutlets hands down. The amount of chicken they fry throughout the day will blow your mind. I’m biased my in laws own it lol. But they do make really good sandwiches. I do miss grinders from new London area. When I go back I always go to Giuliano’s in niantic or sonnys in new London for a regular grinder.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At the joke telling workshop, they'll have you replace the words in bold with a subtle pause.

Reaction Score
Can't go wrong with a chicken parm sandwich from Cornerstone in Hartford. Though the best grinder bread in CT is from D'elia's in Norwich (closed for a majority of the pandemic so far unfortunately)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I apologize to my sandwich eating friends.I veered off topic a little bit by saying I prefer eating fruit before I spend 10 bucks for an unhealthy sandwich.I didn't mean to upset my dictator friends feelings and others as well.Theres a lot of sensitive folks here.I will be more aware of what I post next time so as not to hurt anybody's feelings
Typically, if one believes everyone around them is sensitive, perhaps it is not everyone around them that are the sensitive ones.

Just an observation.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Since we extended outside of CT, I'll share a sandwich I used to order frequently while in Law School at a place called Yellow Sub. I omitted the tomatoes, because I just don't like them on sandwiches and I had them toast it up.

Beefeater Sub
Premium roast beef, bacon, cream cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and mayonnaise. Choice of half or whole.

Reaction Score
One place I can't help but stop at is What's cooking in Madison. The chicken balladino even though it changed names and owners they had to keep that sandwich it's so popular

Now called:

4 The Original- Our Breaded Chicken Cutlet, Fresh Mozzarella, Our Fire Roasted Red Peppers & Herb Mayo (Choose a Bread)​

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My wife has an allergy to dairy, chicken eggs, and yeast. So we have taken to preparing vegan dinners. I can't complain about most of them...so long as we add a pound of sausage.
Don't know where you live, but New Haven has some great vegan options. I usually eat a lunch from at least one of them every week.

Ninth Square Market Too Caribbean Style (long name; great food) is probably the best value and is mostly Jamaican style, with jerk or curry tofu, mac-n-"cheese" and green beans, etc.

Vegan Ahava is excellent vegan soul food. Her mac-n-"cheese" is probably the best for my tastes, because I like it a bit crispy. Her "drummies" are great: they're like massive chicken wing things made from textured vegetable protein and they have a mini wooden stick in the middle so it's like you're eating off the bone. She makes them in BBQ or sweet chili, the latter of which is my favorite. She has a food truck on the green during nicer weather and has just opened up a storefront on Court St. where she sells meals out the door from 1-5, including dinners you can take home. She is painfully slow but so nice and the food is so good. Call ahead and add another ten minutes to the time she tells you. Yesterday she had oyster mushroom po-boys and vegan "fish" sandwiches, both of which are also great.

Edge of the Woods also has several excellent vegan meal options every day, both ready to eat and ready to heat; as does Thyme & Season in Hamden.

Reaction Score
Sausage, peppers and onion from any food truck within a 30 mile radius of Manhattan.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One place I can't help but stop at is What's cooking in Madison. The chicken balladino even though it changed names and owners they had to keep that sandwich it's so popular

Now called:

4 The Original- Our Breaded Chicken Cutlet, Fresh Mozzarella, Our Fire Roasted Red Peppers & Herb Mayo (Choose a Bread)​

Didn't know they switched owners. When did that happen?

I haven't been there in a while but used to stop regularly for paleo meals when I was doing that more regularly. Love her eggplant lasagna; second best to Pasta Cosi's imo. Original owner was incredibly nice and did a lot in the community, including providing meals for the school sports teams for away game days.

Reaction Score
Didn't know they switched owners. When did that happen?

I haven't been there in a while but used to stop regularly for paleo meals when I was doing that more regularly. Love her eggplant lasagna; second best to Pasta Cosi's imo. Original owner was incredibly nice and did a lot in the community, including providing meals for the school sports teams for away game days.
Haven’t seen the original owners in quite some time assumed they changed unless they just cut down their workload

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom