Best Sandwich in Connecticut | The Boneyard

Best Sandwich in Connecticut

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
In the breakfast sandwich category: bacon, egg and cheese from Country Cow in Fairfield. I don't know what they do, but they're just better.

I'm actually interested in some thoughts on best cheesesteaks in CT.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
gordon ramsay sandwich GIF

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
unfortunately most around here are just pulled pork with ham swiss and pickles
The "pulled" pork is fast cooked and cold cut ham, to boot.

The best Cubanos are home made. The last time we played South Florida at Rentschler, I made with pork loin and ham steak from the grill top, thick slicked swiss, spicy mustard "aioli" on a butter grilled sourdough roll.

Chef's Kiss

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The "pulled" pork is fast cooked and cold cut ham, to boot.

The best Cubanos are home made. The last time we played South Florida at Rentschler, I made with pork loin and ham steak from the grill top, thick slicked swiss, spicy mustard "aioli" on a butter grilled sourdough roll.

Chef's Kiss

IMO, when I see mayo on the sandwich my spider senses start to tingle. No bueno.
Same with the mustard. Should be some sort of brown mustard. Don't want yellow, don't want dijon.

I've had some with pulled pork and some with sliced pork. Definitely prefer the sliced pork. And, regular ham not cappicola, salami or anything else.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I went to Franklin Giant yesterday for the Combo grinder. It was great. I don't know if it's the best in the state but I hadn't been for awhile and I was happy.
Do they still make a kiiler meatball grinder? That used to be one of my go-tos if i was in the area.

Reaction Score
The Clucken Russian

Nothing else is even close and there is no point in continuing this thread.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
What constitutes a sandwich? If we are opening it up to grinders, I nominate Ted's Cheeseburg Grinder (now called the "Ultimate Burger Grinder", which I believe is also the name of the villain in Santa Claus Is Coming to Town.)

(FWIW, Connecticut also has superior grinders (Hogies, Subs etc.))

Reaction Score
What constitutes a sandwich? If we are opening it up to grinders, I nominate Ted's Cheeseburg Grinder (now called the "Ultimate Burger Grinder", which I believe is also the name of the villain in Santa Claus Is Coming to Town.)

(FWIW, Connecticut also has superior grinders (Hogies, Subs etc.))
I was expecting some really controversial statement like a hotdog recommendation after that first sentence. Is there anyone on earth that wouldn’t consider a grinder a sandwich?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do they still make a kiiler meatball grinder? That used to be one of my go-tos if i was in the area.
I can only speak for mine. They want you to call first so no hanging around to look at others.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
IMO, when I see mayo on the sandwich my spider senses start to tingle. No bueno.
Same with the mustard. Should be some sort of brown mustard. Don't want yellow, don't want dijon.

I've had some with pulled pork and some with sliced pork. Definitely prefer the sliced pork. And, regular ham not cappicola, salami or anything else.
Which is why I made the aioli with spicy mustard, and there are certainly better condiments than mayo, but I don't mind it. I definitely prefer sliced pork over pulled for a Cuban.

Reaction Score

What awful place are you going that makes cubanos with cappicola or salami?

Reaction Score
What awful place are you going that makes cubanos with cappicola or salami?
Cappicola makes no sense but salami is a traditional ingredient on a cubano.

From the OP article

"Just over a century ago in Tampa, Spanish-Cuban immigrant Casimiro Hernandez Sr. created a sandwich at his restaurant called the Mixto. He hoped it would honor the contributions of the many immigrants who breathed life into the Ybor City neighborhood, where the restaurant was located, and the city of Tampa in general. Ham for the Spaniards, Genoa salami for the Italians, mojo roast pork for the Cubans, and for the Germans and Jews, Swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard"

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Cappicola makes no sense but salami is a traditional ingredient on a cubano.

From the OP article

"Just over a century ago in Tampa, Spanish-Cuban immigrant Casimiro Hernandez Sr. created a sandwich at his restaurant called the Mixto. He hoped it would honor the contributions of the many immigrants who breathed life into the Ybor City neighborhood, where the restaurant was located, and the city of Tampa in general. Ham for the Spaniards, Genoa salami for the Italians, mojo roast pork for the Cubans, and for the Germans and Jews, Swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard"
if you can stick salami in there to "honor" the Italians, why not Cappicola?

Reaction Score
if you can stick salami in there to "honor" the Italians, why not Cappicola?
I suppose you could but the guy who invented the sandwich put on salami. As much as I love it, I don't think cappicola has a strong enough flavor to come through or the texture I want on that sandwich. Guess I'm going to have to order one asap to find out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom