Best Sandwich in Connecticut | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best Sandwich in Connecticut

Reaction Score
Well if we're leaving CT, I think the three best sandwiches in the country are all in New Orleans:
Cochon de Lait Po-Boy at Jazzfest (from Love at First Bite)

Muffuletta from Central Grocery

Le Pig Mac from Cochon Butcher (which also makes a killer Cubano)
Don't forget the Ferdi's Special at Mother's.

Ferdi's Special

Reaction Score
Well if we're leaving CT, I think the three best sandwiches in the country are all in New Orleans:

Cochon de Lait Po-Boy at Jazzfest (from Love at First Bite)

Muffuletta from Central Grocery

Le Pig Mac from Cochon Butcher (which also makes a killer Cubano)
Domilise's off the menu special.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do burgers count as sandwiches? If so, for me the iconic CT "sandwich" is a Shady Glen cheeseburger. Most consumed is probably that Ted's cheeseburger grinder. When your college doesn't feed you on weekends, you need something like that.

The article has mostly terrible choices. The Kansas one is an abomination. Missouri too is completely wrong.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Don't forget the Ferdi's Special at Mother's.

Ferdi's Special
That looks like it doesn't suck

Oddly, some of the best sandwiches i've ever had were cheesesteaks from a couple of places in the Lowell, MA area. But I can't think of the names of any of them.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I went to Franklin Giant yesterday for the Combo grinder. It was great. I don't know if it's the best in the state but I hadn't been for awhile and I was happy.
I’d heard it shut down. Nice to hear not so. Been out of the area for a while. I make a great meatball sub, but don’t want a bunch of crazed UConn fans at my door.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
and if we're cleared to venture outside of CT, classic pastrami and swiss on rye @ carnegie deli or katz's...killer

Reaction Score
In the breakfast sandwich category: bacon, egg and cheese from Country Cow in Fairfield. I don't know what they do, but they're just better.

I'm actually interested in some thoughts on best cheesesteaks in CT.
Cook and the Bear’s cheesesteaks were amazing. Miss those

Reaction Score
This is an OT thread I can get behind. If anyone has good Cubano recommendations, please add them!
There's a food truck on the New Haven wharf that makes a good one. I'll get the name next time I ride through.

That's if you don't mind 'slummin' for one.

Reaction Score
Do burgers count as sandwiches? If so, for me the iconic CT "sandwich" is a Shady Glen cheeseburger. Most consumed is probably that Ted's cheeseburger grinder. When your college doesn't feed you on weekends, you need something like that.

The article has mostly terrible choices. The Kansas one is an abomination. Missouri too is completely wrong.
Shady glen burgers are way overrated and priced

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In the breakfast sandwich category: bacon, egg and cheese from Country Cow in Fairfield. I don't know what they do, but they're just better.

Had a BEC from CC two weeks ago. Just as great as I remembered.

Meat & Co. in New Haven has a very good steak and cheese made with shaved ribeye, but it's not a cheesesteak in the Philly sense.

Their "Rick Reuben" is probably my favorite sandwich they make.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Amigos Deli in Danbury for a Cuban. Minus the lettuce and tomato (no idea where that came from??). Sandwich can be a little dry, I think that's a function of the panini press, so I just ask for extra swiss and mustard, best I've found in CT. Roadfood agrees. And super bargain for $5.99

PS - The Cuban at the Fairgrounds during Jazzfest may not be top tier, but its a magnificent hangover breakfast after a sunrise set on Frenchman and a quick nap.....

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Amigos Deli in Danbury for a Cuban. Minus the lettuce and tomato (no idea where that came from??). Sanwich can be a little dry, I think that's a function of the panini press, so I just ask for extra swiss and mustard, best I've found in CT. Roadfood agrees.

PS - The Cuban at the Fairgrounds during Jazzfest may not be top tier, but its a magnificent hangover breakfast after a sunrise set on Frenchman and a quick nap.....
The Cuban at Fest is fine; it's just that there are so many other great choices there. I have to get a Cochon de Lait every Fest day, and that pretty much boxes out the Cuban for me.

The best hangover food at the Faigrounds is the Ya-Ka-Mein.

Reaction Score

they butter the roll and then put it on the grill with bacon or sausage and egg a true artery buster. The Tasty Yolk food truck has much better breakfast sandwiches

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When they used to run a Bloodmobile out of the Gold building downtown, I would time it so my drip would be ending at lunchtime because they had the best tuna sandwiches. Not packed with tuna but no matter because the tuna was so good and you could have as many as you wanted. There was a woman in her 90's that made the tuna but she wouldn't tell anyone the secret, I think she was afraid of being let go if she told.

It wasn't just me, One time when the tuna was just OK, I heard a volunteer tell another party "Yeah sorry, Lucy didn't come in today." She finally retired at 95 and the secret was Lipton Onion Soup mix.

Reaction Score
Man I love a good sandwich so I'm going to chime in even though my Connecticut sandwich experience is limited to UConn 25+ years ago (Ted's is all I remember). I'm an absolute carb-fiend so if the bread is good, I'm generally going to like it. But the article in the OP was about the Best Sandwich in Every State. I think it was misnamed. It's really about the iconic sandwich in that state. While you can't go wrong with fresh mozzarella and pepper sandwich, it wouldn't be my iconic Jersey choice. I'd have to go with: i) a more standard Italian sub but with the aforementioned fresh mozzarella made in store; ii) Taylor Ham (or pork roll for south jersey people that are wrong), egg and cheese is found almost nowhere else; iii) Sloppy Joe's are different in NJ than anywhere else (it's not a manwich meat thing); or iv) the fat sandwiches in New Brunswick are pretty iconic (but I think a bit overrated).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I haven't had one in 30 years, but they were a huge part of my youth. It's still unique, and I'd take one over any "steamed" hamburger any day.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Agree about the actual burger, Disagree with about the entire overall experience. I love the cheese wings and the relish tray. And the fries and cole slaw.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
View attachment 63579
had this earlier today delicious. Neapolitan panini in pizza oven. Chicken cutlet, fresh mozz, lettuce, tomato, bacon with a pesto aioli and the crust was drizzled with evoo and pecorino Romano and herbs
I approve of sandwiches made out of pizza dough. The Plum Tomato and Fireside Brickoven Creations both do a Chicken, bacon, gorgonzola, arugula concoction on pizza crust. Either one is phenomenal.

Reaction Score
Chicken Cheddar Club from Pickles in Milford (RIP couple years back)

Currently on kick of any chicken cutlet sandwich from Rinaldi's in Stamford. Best chicken cutlet I've ever eaten.

Reaction Score
Call me cheap but I'm not spending 10 bucks for a sandwich.I prefer to go to Aldi for their wide selection of grapes if I'm going to stuff my face,boring but healthy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom