OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 309 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Than New Haven or the other locations in CT? I found that hard to believe (I mean we're talking Warwick, RI here!) so I checked it out online and the prices in Warwick for 3 different pizzas that I spot checked are the same as the suburban locations in CT and MA. Looks like the same in New Haven also.

I’m not one to break down the items (especially when on the company)I look at the total. I was amazed at one point how expensive 3 pies were and nothing crazy for toppings. But then again I don’t go to New Haven all that much just Pepe’s Manchester and this Warwick spot. I could’ve been wrong I guess.

Reaction Score
Had Frisco's recently. Really good.

Sally's NH has disappointed my last two trips there. Hard to go back there with so many great options in and around New Haven.

Reaction Score
So it’s official, I’m moving back to Boston. Charlestown, specifically. I know of Regina, Ernesto’s, and Santarpio. The latter I found to be just fine when I trekked out there years ago. Ate tons of Felcaro when I lived in beacon hill. But anyway, I’m definitely interested in what good options have come about in the 8ish years it’s been since I’ve lived there. There were very few spots when I was there, but I know things have changed.

Been to Si Cara and Source in Cambridge recently; both solid, but more so Naples style rather than Apizza or NY/NJ style. I’m down to have some good bar pizza, especially after I tried Colony in Milford

Been perusing yelp. Let me know if you’ve been to any of these. If you know of any good ones not listed, please let me know. I’m willing to go as far north as Reading/Woburn (yes I know about Sally’s), as far west as Watertown, and as far south as Dorchester.

Annie’s in Medford

Joe’s in Harvard
Stoked in Harvard
Pinocchio in Harvard.

Area Four in east Cambridge
Sulmona in east Cambridge
Cambridge pizzeria

Rina’s in the north end looks like it could be called Apizza
Galleria Umberto in north end

Florina in the beacon hill

Lily’s in financial district

Union park in Back bay

Alfredo’s in southie
Boardwalk in southie
Broadways best in southie

Reaction Score
So it’s official, I’m moving back to Boston. Charlestown, specifically. I know of Regina, Ernesto’s, and Santarpio. The latter I found to be just fine when I trekked out there years ago. Ate tons of Felcaro when I lived in beacon hill. But anyway, I’m definitely interested in what good options have come about in the 8ish years it’s been since I’ve lived there. There were very few spots when I was there, but I know things have changed.

Been to Si Cara and Source in Cambridge recently; both solid, but more so Naples style rather than Apizza or NY/NJ style. I’m down to have some good bar pizza, especially after I tried Colony in Milford

Been perusing yelp. Let me know if you’ve been to any of these. If you know of any good ones not listed, please let me know. I’m willing to go as far north as Reading/Woburn (yes I know about Sally’s), as far west as Watertown, and as far south as Dorchester.

Annie’s in Medford

Joe’s in Harvard
Stoked in Harvard
Pinocchio in Harvard.

Cambridge pizzeria

Union park in Back bay

Alfredo’s in southie
Boardwalk in southie
Picco in the South End is good.

If you're willing to go out to Newton there are a couple good options. Max and Leo's in Newton Corner is good. There's one next to Fenway Park too but I've never had pizza at that one so I don't know if it's as good.

There are a couple pizza guys in my office and they both said I have to try Jinny's in Newton Center. Haven't been there yet so can't tell you what it's like.

Reaction Score

Annie’s in Medford

Joe’s in Harvard
Stoked in Harvard
Pinocchio in Harvard.

Cambridge pizzeria

Union park in Back bay

Alfredo’s in southie
Boardwalk in southie
This looks excellent, not sure how far it is from Boston...

Reaction Score

Annie’s in Medford

Joe’s in Harvard
Stoked in Harvard
Pinocchio in Harvard.

Cambridge pizzeria

Union park in Back bay

Alfredo’s in southie
Boardwalk in southie
Piccos in south end. Fantastic!

Reaction Score
FINALLY got to Zuppardis per the overwhelming hype here.

It was very good. The crust was way thicker than I expected; to the point that I wound up comparing it to my gold standard, Alfonso’s in Princeton NJ. It didn’t quite match up as far as my typical order, pepperoni and sausage. Objectively very very very good, and yeah probably my top 5 in CT

Attachments

• 63838C48-6F6D-44F3-AD72-01633D50383D.jpeg
    63838C48-6F6D-44F3-AD72-01633D50383D.jpeg
    421.5 KB · Views: 75
Reaction Score

Annie’s in Medford

Joe’s in Harvard
Stoked in Harvard
Pinocchio in Harvard.

Cambridge pizzeria

Union park in Back bay

Alfredo’s in southie
Boardwalk in southie

Give Da Laposta in Newton a try . Pizza is great and so is the rest of the food. The owner is a Berlin native that’s been in the pizza business his entire life . He trained both here and in Italy.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Stamford native, sorry but Colony & Rikos aren't pizza, they are bar pie. Don't belong in a discussion of best pizza in CT.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Stamford native, sorry but Colony & Rikos aren't pizza, they are bar pie. Don't belong in a discussion of best pizza in CT.
Well, they are pizza and being in Pittsburgh, I miss Colony as there's nothing like it out here. But I do agree they don't belong in a discussion of best pizza, as that discussion implies there's an art to it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When in the correct mood (not very often) I prefer a Colony or Riko's over a more traditional pie. That said, I still view them as a novelty pie, not a true pizza. This doesn't mean it is a lesser product, just a different classification.

Reaction Score
Fiancé and I took engagement photos up at August on state st in New Haven, finished around 4:30 and figured it may be a good time to try to get in at Pepe’s. We lucked into getting into the original, smaller building where the original oven is. She lived in CT (WeHa) for 4 years for high school, said she had been to Pepe’s a bunch but had never gotten into the OG place and was acting like we were lucky to be there lol which we understand because we get the importance of the oven. Got pepperoni and their current special, a potato/bacon white pie. Honestly, I enjoyed the potato pie better than the pepperoni, and liked it better than Bar’s famous potato/bacon pie.

Overall, the biggest stand out for me was the crust. The Apizza crunch but no real black char was the best I think I’ve had; usually you’re dealing with at least a little black anywhere you go. The sauce and cheese blend were fine. I almost wish I just got a plain mozz so I can compare better. I’ve now been to 4 of the top 5 NH spots (Modern, Pepe, Zupp, and Bar) and, more than anything, the experience is proving to me how good Fuoco is. It’s right there with them all.

BB1D60C4-70CE-4C95-937E-A1CA19F7272C.jpeg

6A87C0E4-526E-485D-A85D-9C312B8C3E35.jpeg

Reaction Score
How is it not pizza? How do you classify what a pizza is?
Well, they are pizza and being in Pittsburgh, I miss Colony as there's nothing like it out here. But I do agree they don't belong in a discussion of best pizza, as that discussion implies there's an art to it.
As someone who makes a lot of different styles of pizza at home I can definitely say there's an art to making a thin crust pizza the way they do. It's not frozen ready made dough with sauce and cheese that gets thrown into the oven.

If anyone really likes Colony/Rikos and they choose to add it to a list of best pizza then I absolutely think it can be in the discussion because just like you said... it's pizza. Or how does that designation get applied then?

Reaction Score
Was at the Kevin Hart show last week so stopped by BAR for a pizza. I hadn’t been there in a long time so wanted to reacquaint myself with BAR. Nice people, good beer, good atmosphere, but the pizza was just OK. Why is it included on the list of best pizza places in New Haven? What am I missing?

Reaction Score
Was at the Kevin Hart show last week so stopped by BAR for a pizza. I hadn’t been there in a long time so wanted to reacquaint myself with BAR. Nice people, good beer, good atmosphere, but the pizza was just OK. Why is it included on the list of best pizza places in New Haven? What am I missing?
I always try to go to places with good reputations at off hours. I always take into account the fact that a product can suffer when a place is packed and busy. When did you go? I’ve consistently had good stuff there (4 times in the last 6 months), even when they were on the busier side. In that same time frame I’ve been to Pepe, Zuppardi, and Modern as well and it definitely stacks up.

Reaction Score
I always try to go to places with good reputations at off hours. I always take into account the fact that a product can suffer when a place is packed and busy. When did you go? I’ve consistently had good stuff there (4 times in the last 6 months), even when they were on the busier side. In that same time frame I’ve been to Pepe, Zuppardi, and Modern as well and it definitely stacks up.
I went late night so maybe the best pizza makers had left for the evening. I kept the order simple so I could get the true flavors of the pie without being influenced by a bunch of toppings. The taste was fine, but there was no char and it was a flop fest. I had to roll it up to maintain any type of control. Don’t get me wrong, I still had a great time and am not trying to trash the place, but maybe I need to try the mashed potato pie.

Disclaimer: All comments are solely the opinion of the author. Thanks @Husky25 for the reminder!

Reaction Score
I went late night so maybe the best pizza makers had left for the evening. I kept the order simple so I could get the true flavors of the pie without being influenced by a bunch of toppings. The taste was fine, but there was no char and it was a flop fest. I had to roll it up to maintain any type of control. Don’t get me wrong, I still had a great time and am not trying to trash the place, but maybe I need to try the mashed potato pie.

Disclaimer: All comments are solely the opinion of the author. Thanks @Husky25 for the reminder!
Thick heavy dollops of potato. If you’re looking for a slice that doesn’t bend at all, I don’t think that’s the way to go.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
They are finally working on the fit-out at Sallys Norwalk (2+ year delay), although I doubt I'll patronize often, prefer Pepes and don't mind the ride to Fairfield for take-out.

Reaction Score
They are finally working on the fit-out at Sallys Norwalk (2+ year delay), although I doubt I'll patronize often, prefer Pepes and don't mind the ride to Fairfield for take-out.
Bull’s Head Pepe’s will be open by April 1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom