OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 206 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Again, this startles me, and sets me to thinking I now need a third visit.

As with Joe's in NYC, I get that it's a popular slice location, but not why it's widely and highly praised. And I mean that as neither a criticism of you or (I think) SJ who is a fan, or even the slices I've gotten. To the contrary, I'm curious and will return.

It would be dishonest or simple withholding for me not to acknowledge that yesterday I saw the Pizza Hut commercials for Detroit Style and thought, "So that's what it is? Hmmm, I could see myself liking something like that if it were done well."

That would, of course, first require some confirmation that the Pizza Hut depiction is an accurate enough representation of the overall concept.

Is it?
@superjohn too

If someone further weighed in with," And Pizza Hut's version isn't bad," I'd give it a try. Or, here's where a coupon could even push me over the top.

The last time a fast food ad during TV sports piqued my curiosity, it was for Popeye's chicken sandwich, and my investigation resulted in my getting into somewhat of a habit before it outstripped their capacity by being so popular. And only the pandemic has created a drop-off. Tbh, the $4.28 price tag and drive-through access at late hours has helped, but still it remains an option that I know is always there under those same terms.

None of the above negates anything else I've written throughout this thread. It just acknowledges that a crispy, caramelized, possibly 'buttery' bread (with even a hot-soft interior) could hit a bunch of mouth-feel & flavor notes, complemented by melted cheese, a meat topping, and a thick tomato-y sauce. And I could additional imagination that it might not be that hard to make, so that PH food engineers could pull it off.
Haven't had Pizza Hut in well over a decade but I heard the Detroit Style is pretty good for chain pizza and a lot better than their regular pizza.

Reaction Score
Another pizza observation I find strange, they charge $22 for a large cheese pizza out here and the places back where I grew up in CT. still charge $12. It's strange because all other food for takeout is the same but pizza has always been much more expensive than it is in CT.

Reaction Score
Pizzetta in Mystic. If anyone like buffalo chicken pizza, you gotta try theirs out

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If someone further weighed in with," And Pizza Hut's version isn't bad," I'd give it a try
I actually did like Pizza Hut on occasion.( if you were buzzed and enjoyed a buttery pan crust ) But they changed all their recipes in 2007 . Not even close to being good now ( despite my disclaimer before it)

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Another pizza observation I find strange, they charge $22 for a large cheese pizza out here and the places back where I grew up in CT. still charge $12. It's strange because all other food for takeout is the same but pizza has always been much more expensive than it is in CT.
It’s expensive here too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
$12 18 inch pies in my hometown and they're good. Pizza is way more expensive out here.
There are places to get good CT pizza closer to $12 than $22.

It's affected by the town's demographics, and the price sensitivity of loyal regulars.

And, curious on your hometown choice, for when I'm nearby it.

Reaction Score

It's affected by the town's demographics, and the price sensitivity of loyal regulars.

Litchfield. Litchfield Pizza is a very good family pizza joint and Hometown Pizza is pretty good, multiple locations.

Reaction Score
Could be worse. A cheese pizza at DiFara in Brooklyn, NY is $30. It's really good but I thought that was price gouging when I went there the first time.

Reaction Score
Could be worse. A cheese pizza at DiFara in Brooklyn, NY is $30. It's really good but I thought that was price gouging when I went there the first time.
Yep, that's ridiculous. Lombardi's on Mulberry was always like that and it isn't even that good.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Litchfield. Litchfield Pizza is a very good family pizza joint and Hometown Pizza is pretty good, multiple locations.

I've probably had more slices from Hometown in Harwinton than any other pizza joint. How do you feel about Bohemian Pizza? I used to gig there fairly often and the pizza was never more than decent to my taste.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score

Pizzeria Marzano in Torrington is an excellent Neopolitan style pie if you're up in Litchfield County.

Reaction Score
I've probably had more slices from Hometown in Harwinton than any other pizza joint. How do you feel about Bohemian Pizza? I used to gig there fairly often and the pizza was never more than decent to my taste.
I've been going to Bohemian since before it opened, years of underage drinking there (always called it the Tavern and dirt bar.) The pizza was good in the beginning when the Croatian guy (forget his name) owned the pizza part and Gary owned the bar but I don't even remember ever having it since then. It didn't look too good last time I was there but I like Bohemian and I like Gary. They renovated the entire place and it's a really cool spot now with good food and beers, plus very reasonable.

Reaction Score
I like Detroit Style pizza, Pequod's in Chicago which is the best in the city is similar to Detroit Style. It's circular but cooked in a similar pan and has the caramelized crust Detroit style has while being light and airy compared to the deep dish pizzas.
I spend a lot of time in Chicago and have had Pequods several times.
I even had a pizza made by the founder of Pequods, Burt. A true artisan.
Burt then sold Pequods and started Burts Place. He was on several Food TV show, Saveur magazine etc. A true pizza craftsman, genuine guy, and real character. Sadly, he passed away a few years ago.

Reaction Score
I spend a lot of time in Chicago and have had Pequods several times.
I even had a pizza made by the founder of Pequods, Burt. A true artisan.
Burt then sold Pequods and started Burts Place. He was on several Food TV show, Saveur magazine etc. A true pizza craftsman, genuine guy, and real character. Sadly, he passed away a few years ago.
Never made it to Burt's, I think guys who worked with him still run it.

Reaction Score
Never made it to Burt's, I think guys who worked with him still run it.
Super:

You may be right. However, for some reason I thought they closed it down because Burts wife was older and it was a mostly 2 person shop. I was at their original Morton Grove, IL location. Got there early just as they were opening and go to talk with him and wife for a good hour before the dinner crowd came in. If I recall, they had very limited hours and were exclusively dinner.
Again, a real character with stories for days.
I went there after they were featured on an episode of Adam Richmans Food Network show.
Glad I got there in time. I would have regretted it if I hadn't.

Reaction Score
I've been going to Bohemian since before it opened, years of underage drinking there (always called it the Tavern and dirt bar.) The pizza was good in the beginning when the Croatian guy (forget his name) owned the pizza part and Gary owned the bar but I don't even remember ever having it since then. It didn't look too good last time I was there but I like Bohemian and I like Gary. They renovated the entire place and it's a really cool spot now with good food and beers, plus very reasonable.
Boeheimian Pizza. Great pick.

Reaction Score
This is Mediterranean and the ingredients are on pita bread, but it is very tasty and the ones I ordered on February 19 are mentioned below.

Rawa in the Westville section of New Haven. Got it delivered via doordash.com.

1613831115030.png

Reaction Score
Sumac?
From Wikpedia:

Made from the dried and ground berries of the wild sumac flower, sumac is a tangy spice with a sour, acidic flavor reminiscent of lemon juice. This fragrant spice is used to brighten up dry rubs, spice blends like za'atar, and dressing

It is a spice. BWT, the chicken pizza, came with pine nuts and it was awesome.

The other one had diced lamb and eggplant. Both were keepers.

Reaction Score
Pizzeria Marzano in Torrington is an excellent Neopolitan style pie if you're up in Litchfield County.

Berkshire Pub in Torrington still serving the same pizza although I have heard different owners may have changed it? I mean they had a real nice pie and to go wrapped it in wax like paper as well as a nice salad with their own dressing when you ate there. Great little dive back in the day for some pizza and beer after golf at Fairview.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
John and Maria's in East Haven. Very thin crust and the edge crust was too dry for me. Overall...it was okay. We had a small mozz and a medium mushroom and pepper.

My new job is in East Haven. Will keep looking for a great pie here. Will try Tolli's and Anniello's next.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom