OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 150 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Presently at Artichoke Basille’s on the turnpike, I will report back once the pizza is delivered.

Reaction Score
Presently at Artichoke Basille’s on the turnpike, I will report back once the pizza is delivered.
Pretty decent overall, I give it 3/5 slices. We got a cheese pie for the table/kids and the adults got a few separate slices. I had the Staten Island (meatball, red onion and ricotta), wife got the Artichoke and Auntie got the Sicilian. They were all just ok. Certainly would’ve been better had they been whole pizzas made to order instead of reheated slices. Service took FOREVER, that with hardly anyone else in the place (plenty of takeout going out the door tho).

CFBB7-A9-D-1-D74-42-B2-AC66-9413-EFD64-EF9.jpg

The cheese pie was probably best as it was made fresh. Crisp crust, almost crumbly. Not chewy like the best pizza places have seemed to perfect. Sauce was ok almost with a sour finish, hard to describe. Perhaps their tomatoes weren’t quite ripe enough? Cheese did the job.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Pretty decent overall, I give it 3/5 slices. We got a cheese pie for the table/kids and the adults got a few separate slices. I had the Staten Island (meatball, red onion and ricotta), wife got the Artichoke and Auntie got the Sicilian. They were all just ok. Certainly would’ve been better had they been whole pizzas made to order instead of reheated slices. Service took FOREVER, that with hardly anyone else in the place (plenty of takeout going out the door tho).

The cheese pie was probably best as it was made fresh. Crisp crust, almost crumbly. Not chewy like the best pizza places have seemed to perfect. Sauce was ok almost with a sour finish, hard to describe. Perhaps their tomatoes weren’t quite ripe enough? Cheese did the job.
Thanks for the pic. Now I’m not the least bit curious to try it out.

Reaction Score
566-D5864-4-ABC-4953-AEB7-5-F143-E7-BB104.jpg

The Staten Island. The meatball part of it was the weakest bit, tasted more like hamburger than meatball, still it all worked well in concert.

85-F1-D81-A-B2-E2-418-B-9-AC3-2365-D331092-B.jpg

Artichoke, their namesake, was good but would’ve definitely been better, again, as a freshly made pie. Like artichoke dip on a pizza. So rich it would’ve been hard to eat much more than a slice.

Reaction Score
566-D5864-4-ABC-4953-AEB7-5-F143-E7-BB104.jpg

The Staten Island. The meatball part of it was the weakest bit, tasted more like hamburger than meatball, still it all worked well in concert.

85-F1-D81-A-B2-E2-418-B-9-AC3-2365-D331092-B.jpg

Artichoke, their namesake, was good but would’ve definitely been better, again, as a freshly made pie. Like artichoke dip on a pizza. So rich it would’ve been hard to eat much more than a slice.

The Staten Island looks promising, but looks a bit undercooked. I bet is was delicious nonetheless. Thanks for the review.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thanks for the pic. Now I’m not the least bit curious to try it out.

I got it delivered once. I thought it looked better than it tasted.

Reaction Score
I always thought the original Pepe's, no doubter....also Anthony's in Torrington is right up there

Reaction Score
I think I have a new one for y’all. 850 degrees Wood Fired Pizza in Ridgefield, CT. I had dinner there with a group on Saturday. Extensive menu options with unique pies on offer. Every pie I tried was good.

I’d give the place a 7.4 overall. A couple ticks off for very slow service, so pizza specifically would be in the 7.7 range. Pretty good spot if you’re in the area but not necessarily worth a dedicated trip.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Flew out of Bradley today. Had a couple of slices from the airport Papa Gino's. It was really bad. Probably had been at least 30 years since I had pizza from there. Really wish I didn't reset that clock.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Flew out of Bradley today. Had a couple of slices from the airport Papa Gino's. It was really bad. Probably had been at least 30 years since I had pizza from there. Really wish I didn't reset that clock.

lol which papa gino’s was that?

there is one papa gino’s in CT and it’s at the East Brook Mall.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Now that you've confirmed that it's available by the slice, it's inevitable that I'll go there to try the Sicilian and compare it with 14th St NYC. Maybe next week when I go to Bushnell Park for final Monday night jazz concert of the season.

When Two Boots was in Bridgeport, its slices compared poorly with those from Grand Central Station which compared poorly with those from the 7th Ave South location. All of those are gone now. As with Pepe's, expansion locations don't always fully translate.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Honestly, everything was a little off to me. Got a plain just because of all the suggestions and it's not for me but even the sausage pie was off. Flavors weren't bold, sausage wasn't that great. I like my pizza well done to burnt but the crust was charcoal today, wouldn't have been a problem if the rest of the pizza was great but it wasn't.

Had not been to Sally's in a million years and some of the old family still works there but it was not what I remember, waitress was cute and had a great personality though. Modern's sausage pie blows it out of the water.
Sounds similar to the pizza my family had. But that was in 1990.

Our original intention was Pepe's. But they were closed because of a death in the family. We walk into Sally's and the main room was empty. Some older women angrily greeted us and told us to go to the annex part of restaurant. There were three people in the booth behind us, the only other people in the place.

We got a pizza that was charcoal burnt around the edges and doughy everywhere else.

No customers. Several cooks. Bad service and pizza. What happened? Two big reasons! Busty Heart. All the guys cooking and preparing wanted to meet her and get their picture taken with her.

The old woman saw we didn't eat our pizza, apologized and didn't charge us. Things weren't all bad. Got a picture with my son and Busty. I'm not a fan of Busty, but ironically the day before two women I worked with jokingly said we should try to loosen up this cold fish colleague and bring him to see Busty strip. Getting that picture the following day at Sally's and showing it to them was priceless.

Reaction Score
Going to Modern tonight for the first time in over 10 years. Toppings suggestions? Figure we’ll get one white clam for sure, what else would you guys say they excel at?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Going to Modern tonight for the first time in over 10 years. Toppings suggestions? Figure we’ll get one white clam for sure, what else would you guys say they excel at?
I always order our Modern pies "well done, light mozz" for the best char and least sag.

I do bacon on our clam pies.

Red pie with artichoke hearts and eggplant is probably our most common order there. Always great.

Red pie with meatballs and tomato is another fave.

Sausage is always excellent there, too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I always order our Modern pies "well done, light mozz" for the best char and least sag.

Red pie with artichoke hearts and eggplant is probably our most common order there. Always great.

Never thought of "light mozz."
I do tell them to "burn it," and always enjoy turning the box vertically and then like a diamond to tap the sides and collect all the flavorful burnt dust before the box gets pitched or recycled.

Reaction Score
Always a sausage pie.

Reaction Score

So we opted for a white clam pie and a bacon, meatball. Forgot to order light mozz and well done, which would have made a really good experience perfect. For my money, Modern it cooked correctly might be the best of the Big 3.

Reaction Score
So we opted for a white clam pie and a bacon, meatball. Forgot to order light mozz and well done, which would have made a really good experience perfect. For my money, Modern it cooked correctly might be the best of the Big 3.
I think it's become my favorite too. I've had pies at all three that when firing on all cylinders are about as good as it gets. My last trip to Pepe's was great with Sally's being a letdown. Modern has fired on all cylinders the last few times I went and I just reallt like the place. Crowded but don't really have to wait, pitchers of Foxon Park soda, prices are excellent, old school joint feel without even trying to capture it, and the owner is a good dude.

Reaction Score
Modern did not disappoint. Absolutely delicious. As 8893 said, light Mozz and well done is the way to go. We are truly fortunate to have Pepe's, Modern, Sally's and Bufalina within striking distance on any given night. The bacon and meatball we got was virtually perfect once we allowed it to sit for a few minutes. In the middle of one bite, I literally thought to myself " F@&k, this is incredible" and I am not prone to swearing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom