OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 132 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I should mention that one of the specialty pies at Bobby’s is a pie topped with mac and cheese and bacon.

Don't mean to hijack the pizza thread, but I really don't get Mac and Cheese. It's like a religion to my wife, but it's something I would never choose to eat.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Don't mean to hijack the pizza thread, but I really don't get Mac and Cheese. It's like a religion to my wife, but it's something I would never choose to eat.

I agree with you for the most part, but like most foods, there are exceptions. Even in simple recipes. We got our last church fish fry of the season last night and whomever makes the mac & cheese sides there knows what they're doing. They use cavatappi w/o ridges and a sauce that's more bechamel than the usual yellow cheese glop. I'm not sure if it's more than one cheese, certainly a milder white cheddar, but I think there's something else in there like muenster or jack. Fine by itself, or I'll amp it up with some piri-piri.

As far as putting mac & cheese on a pizza... I am generally against putting carbs on top of carbs or inside other carbs. And especially putting carbs inside carbs on top of other carbs (as in a Pittsburgh pierogi pizza).

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I agree with you for the most part, but like most foods, there are exceptions. Even in simple recipes. We got our last church fish fry of the season last night and whomever makes the mac & cheese sides there knows what they're doing. They use cavatappi w/o ridges and a sauce that's more bechamel than the usual yellow cheese glop. I'm not sure if it's more than one cheese, certainly a milder white cheddar, but I think there's something else in there like muenster or jack. Fine by itself, or I'll amp it up with some piri-piri.

As far as putting mac & cheese on a pizza... I am generally against putting carbs on top of carbs or inside other carbs. And especially putting carbs inside carbs on top of other carbs (as in a Pittsburgh pierogi pizza).
And yet, a good slice from a mashed potato pie has surprised me every time even though I don't order it.

I'm increasingly open to mac 'n cheese, but find it more often "So what" than "Oh wow." Same with grits prepared without creative flourish.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Pineapple on pizza is easy to hate — at least in theory

It’s not the combination that some of you hate — the pineapple and ham on pizza — but the execution of it. Too many people, it seems, have been burned by poor versions of the Hawaiian, in which thick chunks of syrupy pineapple are merely dumped onto a cheese pie with similarly thick-cut ham.

Reaction Score

It’s not the combination that some of you hate — the pineapple and ham on pizza — but the execution of it. Too many people, it seems, have been burned by poor versions of the Hawaiian, in which thick chunks of syrupy pineapple are merely dumped onto a cheese pie with similarly thick-cut ham.
So what this article is saying is that pineapple on pizza is not bad except when it's prepared in the way that 99.9% of pizzas with pineapple on them are prepared. Got it...

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score

Of note: "Those who live in the Northeast or are older than 55 hate pineapple toppings even more... " Sounds like the Boneyard demographic to me! ;)

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
So what this article is saying is that pineapple on pizza is not bad except when it's prepared in the way that 99.9% of pizzas with pineapple on them are prepared. Got it...

Sources please. Quite a survey you've run on this topic apparently.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Given the choice between a Hawaiian pizza or veggie supreme (or anything with green peppers for that matter.), it's pineapple every day of the week and twice on Sunday. So it's got that going for it...which is nice.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

“I think there’s a culture now where we are so disconnected that we are now grouping together by hating things,”

Truth.

Reaction Score

Sounds like the mac and cheese I make. I use cavatappi with sharp cheddar, gruyere, smoked gouda, and parmesan. Either bake it or stove top.

Reaction Score
I love pineapple and love it sometimes on a chicken sandwich. I love the sweet salty combo (melon with a cured meat) but never thought it had a place on pizza.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
For those repulsed by the idea of the pineapple, ham, hot cherry pepper pie, I should mention that one of the specialty pies at Bobby’s is a pie topped with mac and cheese and bacon. I thought my daughters were going to request that because they love mac and cheese (and bacon), but the thought of that on a pizza was not attractive to them. I would have been interested to see it, but it sounded sickening to me. So I guess everyone draws the line somewhere in terms of what is acceptable for pizza topping

My line is with the somewhat-common "salad pizza"

I'll eat just about anything, but the idea of vegetables wilting on a hot pizza is nauseating to me.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I'll eat just about anything, but the idea of vegetables wilting on a hot pizza is nauseating to me.
My response to someone when I was responsible for ordering pizza in a larger office requesting a "Vegetarian" selection was, "We did order one. It's called plain cheese."

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
My response to someone when I was responsible for ordering pizza in a larger office requesting a "Vegetarian" selection was, "We did order one. It's called plain cheese."

Don't get me wrong - vegetables on pizza are fine. I'll crave a straight onion pie from time to time.

Salad? No way. Salad belongs in a bowl.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Only place I've seen do the salad pie well is Abbot's Pizza Company in Venice, CA. It is not traditional; they use bagel dough for their crust, which is a nice twist--especially the slices on "everything" crust.

cheeselessveggie2_1.jpg

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
If it makes it any less-detestable, it is not a hot pie. The crust is room temp and the salad toppings are cold.

...then it's not pizza. I guess i feel better now.

That salad-whatever-it-is belongs next to the whatever-the-bleep-it-is thing from Rhode Island.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
...then it's not pizza. I guess i feel better now.

That salad-whatever-it-is belongs next to the whatever-the-bleep-it-is thing from Rhode Island.
I agree, it's not pizza. But it is tasty. Much moreso than that thing from RI.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom