OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 64 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Has anyone ever been here? Kay's Pizza on Burden Lake in upstate NY.

Home

I know it's not CT but I've been going for three years now and the pizza is like crack. It's not a fancy spot, at ALL, but the dough is like fried dough. It's light and chewy with a little bite on the crust. I crave this place all the time...and it is literally in the middle of nowhere.

I have found very few upstate NY pizzerias that don't serve chewy, too thick, and almost always undercooked crust pizzas. I spend a lot of time up there (mostly farther north than that though) and have pretty much given up on trying to find an edible pizza.

Or a properly cooked hot dog, for that matter, which is a real shame, because most of the local hot dog stands/burger joints up there serve great fries..

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
If you ask for a "scamotz" pie there, do they still know what you're talking about?

Not only do they know what you're talking about. It actually still says Scamozza on the menu.
My wife (the fan of Greek pizza) had never had their plum tomato pie. She's now officially hooked. So at least for the one month of the year that the plum tomatoes are in season, I can get a really great pizza AND have a happy wife.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not only do they know what you're talking about. It actually still says Scamozza on the menu.
Right you are!

201210251159_06.jpg

Reaction Score
I have found very few upstate NY pizzerias that don't serve chewy, too thick, and almost always undercooked crust pizzas. I spend a lot of time up there (mostly farther north than that though) and have pretty much given up on trying to find an edible pizza.

Or a properly cooked hot dog, for that matter, which is a real shame, because most of the local hot dog stands/burger joints up there serve great fries..

They are few and far between, when it comes to pizza. You have to live here to know where the very few good ones are. Utica does really good pizza everywhere, it is the exception.

As for hot dogs??? Hot dogs, sausage and roast beef (or as they call it, beef on weck) are the specialties. There are actually hot dog places that are extremely popular with lots of fans. Are you saying the hot dogs are overgrilled?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They are few and far between, when it comes to pizza. You have to live here to know where the very few good ones are. Utica does really good pizza everywhere, it is the exception.

As for hot dogs??? Hot dogs, sausage and roast beef (or as they call it, beef on weck) are the specialties. There are actually hot dog places that are extremely popular with lots of fans. Are you saying the hot dogs are overgrilled?
My wife is from Utica and I agree with this.

As for hot dogs and the like, do you know Hapanowicz in New York Mills? My father in law brings us their kielbasa and belly buster hot dogs on every visit, along Symeon's salad dressing.

Reaction Score

As for hot dogs and the like, do you know Hapanowicz in New York Mills? My father in law brings us their kielbasa and belly buster hot dogs on every visit, along Symeon's salad dressing.

I don't know it. As a New Englander though I can tell you the Polish and Italian backgrounds of many people up here has created a mania for sausage and hot dogs.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
There are actually hot dog places that are extremely popular with lots of fans. Are you saying the hot dogs are overgrilled?

The opposite, actually. Undercooked. But your beef on a weck reference puts you much farther west than my typical upstate NY stomping grounds, so we could be talking totally different animals.

For what it's worth, I love beef on a weck. And have always felt that is the real local barfood favorite in Buffalo, and was established well before wings took the city's name in marriage.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The opposite, actually. Undercooked. But your beef on a weck reference puts you much farther west than my typical upstate NY stomping grounds, so we could be talking totally different animals.

For what it's worth, I love beef on a weck. And have always felt that is the real local barfood favorite in Buffalo, and was established well before wingls took the city's name in marriage.

Beef on Weck is fantastic. Good roast beef and a combination Style French Dip/Chicago italian beef and then add Horseradish? Sign me up 7 days a week.

Reaction Score

For what it's worth, I love beef on a weck. And have always felt that is the real local barfood favorite in Buffalo, and was established well before wings took the city's name in marriage.

I see. Yeah, over here hot dogs are always grilled, and the skins get crispy. You have to bite down to get through.

I'm a beef on weck fan as well, and it is still pretty popular around here. But then again, I still see people ordering fried bologna sandwiches. Unbelievable. Some parts of Buffalo will never die. You'd think the young people would lay off the stuff as bygone craziness.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I see. Yeah, over here hot dogs are always grilled, and the skins get crispy. You have to bite down to get through.

That's the way I want them. Try to get any place in eastern upstate ny to do that though!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't know it. As a New Englander though I can tell you the Polish and Italian backgrounds of many people up here has created a mania for sausage and hot dogs.
If you like kielbasa, check it out. It's easily the most popular item at our gatherings of families and friends, always getting wiped out as soon as it comes off the grill. Last Memorial Day weekend I grilled over 60 pieces and by the time I turned around to grab one they were all gone.

And go to Symeon's, too, if you like Greek food at all, or a fan of fried calamari. I have no idea why or how, but they legitimately have the best fried calamari I've ever had, and they nail it every single time. I used to scoff when my father in law bragged about it, but after literally dozens of visits I have to agree with him that it is the best.

Reaction Score
If you like kielbasa, check it out. It's easily the most popular item at our gatherings of families and friends, always getting wiped out as soon as it comes off the grill. Last Memorial Day weekend I grilled over 60 pieces and by the time I turned around to grab one they were all gone.

And go to Symeon's, too, if you like Greek food at all, or a fan of fried calamari. I have no idea why or how, but they legitimately have the best fried calamari I've ever had, and they nail it every single time. I used to scoff when my father in law bragged about it, but after literally dozens of visits I have to agree with him that it is the best.

Sounds great, will do. My Mom (a Greek woman) used to labor over calimari--fresh caught, peeled the casings off. none of that prepped stuff. But real calimari is hard hard work.

Reaction Score
My son goes to college near Utica and is missing good pizza. School food just doesn't cut it! Can you suggest some good pizza places in Utica for him to try?

August_West

Reaction Score
My son goes to college near Utica and is missing good pizza. School food just doesn't cut it! Can you suggest some good pizza places in Utica for him to try?

arent you around Boston?
He should be used to bad Pizza. :)

Reaction Score

Honestly I can't. I have been to Utica 4 times and just picked places at random. The one place that had really good NY style was in the core of downtown by Firestone. Other places were closer to the highway. Once broke down on 90 outside Utica and was towed to a Firestone downtown, where I picked a place at random. The places are non-descript pizza shops, not restaurants.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's been a while since I've been there as both of her parents have moved since, but I recall Slice and Tony's both being good *enough*. We went to Slice more because she and/or her brother used to work there a long time ago, but my memory is that I preferred Tony's.

Reaction Score
arent you around Boston?
He should be used to bad Pizza. :)
We go down to CT all the time. Sometimes just for pizza! And there's a Pepe's in Chestnut Hill, that while it's not New Haven, is pretty good. At least compared to the rest of the stuff around here.

Reaction Score
There is a college near Utica? There is life near Utica?!?!?!

August_West

Reaction Score
We go down to CT all the time. Sometimes just for pizza! And there's a Pepe's in Chestnut Hill, that while it's not New Haven, is pretty good. At least compared to the rest of the stuff around here.

A chain Pepe's is still better than 95% of choices anywhere else. Forgot about them opening up there. How are they doing business wise?

Reaction Score
Hamilton College in Clinton, NY is 10 minutes from Utica. And you're right, that might be the only life near Utica! Actually the town of New Hartford, NY is also right there and has all the stuff most people could need. The area isn't Boston or New York City though, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
A chain Pepe's is still better than 95% of choices anywhere else. Forgot about them opening up there. How are they doing business wise?
Every time we go there it's crowded and most times there is a line out the door. They do a lot of take out business also. Supposedly they are looking for a spot in the Framingham/Natick area so I guess they want to expand up here.

I did find a place around here that has really good pizza. Max and Leo's in Newton Corner and Fenway. Good stuff. Ducali near the Boston Garden isn't bad either.

Reaction Score

Besides Utica College, which I believe was at one point owned by Syracuse U, Hamilton and Colgate are both within 30 minutes of the city.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom