OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 54 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Perfect, so who is in the middle of trying and rating all of them?
I have definitely tried many of them that interest me based on this thread, and I have reported my findings when I have. I don't think I could stomach all of them though.

The most useful resource would probably be a blog, something like Tom Fitzmorris's fine nomenu.com, which covers the New Orleans restaurant scene and has up-t0-date ratings and various other helpful lists. But limited just to CT pizza.

Not a bad idea, actually.

Reaction Score
I looked at that and said to myself, 'that's not right," but was too lazy to look it up. Did you go to the Stfd public schools? If so, you might have had my uncle for math.

I did, Center School, Wooster Middle school and Stratford High School.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I did, Center School, Wooster Middle school and Stratford High School.

Can't recall whether he was at Stfd or Bunnnel. I think both at different times. Ed Jezierny. He was actually one of my 3 favorite uncles.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
In the Newington area two excellent Greek pizzas are Elm Hill & Townline. Grew up on both but love New Haven style too.

I confirmed tonight that Elm Hill, like many Greeks, uses a mix of mozzarella & cheddar cheese. The pie often has a browned crispy cheese top.

Reaction Score
Can't recall whether he was at Stfd or Bunnnel. I think both at different times. Ed Jezierny. He was actually one of my 3 favorite uncles.

The name seems really familiar, I think I may of had him.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

Not Ed. That was one of his sons. Mike. Mike Jezierny.

Reaction Score
In the Newington area two excellent Greek pizzas are Elm Hill & Townline. Grew up on both but love New Haven style too.

I confirmed tonight that Elm Hill, like many Greeks, uses a mix of mozzarella & cheddar cheese. The pie often has a browned crispy cheese top.

Elm hill is my spot. Grew up on it and still support them today. Love elm hill.

Newington:
Greek style: elm hill, town line, yannis,

Stretch's, Joey Gs,
Giovanni's for plain sheet pie.

Cheap cardboard pizza that is ok: best pizza near Best Buy on tpike.

Reaction Score
Been to a Blaze by my office in Texas. All I can say is...eh. Gets by in a pinch for a quick lunch, but definitely not a destination pizza, even with the crap that borderline passes for pizza around here. Doubt I'd ever take the family there for dinner. In Connecticut, you'd have a ton of better options, even for a quick bite after a game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Been to a Blaze by my office in Texas. All I can say is...eh. Gets by in a pinch for a quick lunch, but definitely not a destination pizza, even with the crap that borderline passes for pizza around here. Doubt I'd ever take the family there for dinner. In Connecticut, you'd have a ton of better options, even for a quick bite after a game.
Bummer...but thanks for the honest review. Saved me a trip and some wasted $$ that sounds like it will be better spent at Willimantic Brewery, as usual...

Reaction Score
Great to see Storrs Center picking up so many new tenants. Crazy that this wasn't built earlier; there is clearly a demand!

Reaction Score
Anyone here try Sergio's in Hamden? I don't live down there anymore so I rarely get to Hamden. And when I have stopped by to say hi, I always get the veal. Good god I love veal and their veal was awesome! It was opened by my father's cousin and his children still run it. I really don't know how the pizza is.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Anyone here try Sergio's in Hamden? I don't live down there anymore so I rarely get to Hamden. And when I have stopped by to say hi, I always get the veal. Good god I love veal and their veal was awesome! It was opened by my father's cousin and his children still run it. I really don't know how the pizza is.

Post/Handle

Reaction Score
Haven't read all 40+ pages here but for Greek Style Pizza Lovers in Central CT, I highly recommend:

Town and Country Pizza - Farmington Ave., New Britain, CT.

I absolutely love the "Special" with all the meat and veggies.

Give it a try, its worth it.

By the way, just up the road towards the Farmington line, is a new and really good Ice Cream shop: Frisbees Ice Cream. Its part of a multi-business development on the New Britain line.

Reaction Score

Makes a good pie. Nice place (miss the salad bar though).

Love their NY Style Calamari App.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Does Pepe's take reservations or is it first come first served?
No reservations. Get there before 5 most weeknights and you'll be fine; the line usually starts to grow gradually after that.

Service is generally old school and brusque, although usually less so than Sally's. If you are not ready to order when the waitress comes by the first time, she'll turn on her heel in an instant and you may not see her again for five minutes or more. That will be repeated if you are not ready the next time, and so on, and so on...

Reaction Score
Does Pepe's take reservations or is it first come first served?

Just go to The Spot next door. I believe it's actually the original location and doesn't have a line and is of the same quality. Unless you just really want the experience of standing in line.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just go to The Spot next door. I believe it's actually the original location and doesn't have a line and is of the same quality. Unless you just really want the experience of standing in line.
True, but only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday these days.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks guys. I may try to get there for lunch on "Black Friday".
I'd expect quite a crowd that day with all the kids home from college.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Well, now I know where my new go-to pizza spot in Storrs is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom