OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 53 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Wow! The mystery was much more exciting. Sausage pizza with crushed red pepper. A nd I thought it was from the Karma Sutra or something.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
since its been quite a few pages and we are bemoaning Greek Pizza again, I propose we observe a moment of LoLZ for one of the most laughworthy of the Pizza types:
Chicago Deep Dish... everyone with me now: LOL @ you, you Butter crusted Casserole/Lasagna aboination disguised as a pizza. (It can be tasty, it aint Pie)

Also some derision your way you St. Louis style crap with the provel processed cheese.

and yeah, detroit square pie, I havent forgotten you either; .

There, I feel better.
Ever have a Priazzo at Pizza Hut back in the 80s?

Reaction Score
Only went to the Pepe's in Fairlfield once and it sucked compared to the original, can't speak to the other offshoots but the one in Fairfield isn't on the same planet as the New Haven one. What's the name of the pizza joint in Bristol?

Max Pizza.

Reaction Score
I grew up eating pizza in central CT and now live in Fairfield County, where the pizza is completely inferior (Connolly Grill is awful, too).

Are you talking about Colony grill? If you didn't eat at the one in Stamford (Like you didn't eat at the New Haven Pepe's) than it is nowhere as good.

Reaction Score
Are you talking about Colony grill? If you didn't eat at the one in Stamford (Like you didn't eat at the New Haven Pepe's) than it is nowhere as good.
Is Colony Grill in Stamford really good? I've never been a huge fan of bar style pizzas but they must be doing something right to be around so long.

Reaction Score
August_West said:
since its been quite a few pages and we are bemoaning Greek Pizza again, I propose we observe a moment of LoLZ for one of the most laughworthy of the Pizza types: Chicago Deep Dish... everyone with me now: LOL @ you, you Butter crusted Casserole/Lasagna aboination disguised as a pizza. (It can be tasty, it aint Pie) Also some derision your way you St. Louis style crap with the provel processed cheese. and yeah, detroit square pie, I havent forgotten you either; . There, I feel better.

St. Louis pizza was an abomination. It made me want to walk out - not of the restaurant, of the whole city.

Reaction Score
Is Colony Grill in Stamford really good? I've never been a huge fan of bar style pizzas but they must be doing something right to be around so long.

Very good. They only make one size, a good size personal pizza. Very thin crust (It is a really thin pizza overall) and is great with their hot oil or stingers (a hot pepper). I only tried the Fairfield location a little while after they opened and was not as good as Stamford, like eating at Pepe's in Fairfield.

Reaction Score
St. Louis pizza was an abomination. It made me want to walk out - not of the restaurant, of the whole city.
St. Louis doesn't seem like much of a food city considering their major culinary achievement is toasted ravioli.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My wife, unfortunately, is a fan of Greek pizza. Not all Greek pizza, but 2 out of her favorite 3 pizza places are greek.

So I've had more than my share of greek pie, and have learned to tolerate it, as long as it's not too doughy.

But it ain't pizza. It doesn't satisfy the craving at all.

To me, Pepe's is an RCH behind Roseland. But in my mind, both are a hair behind Salerno's in Stratford. I have a thing for Salerno's. It's the direct descendant of the pie I grew up with (C&C, at the corner of Connecticut and Carrol Avenues in Bridgeport). Same family. Same recipe. Same taste and texture.

Salerno's like Roseland, fits my formula for always getting a good pizza when on the road. There MUST be a neon sign in the window or over the door, and it must flicker a bit, or have a letter out. And the magic word must begin with an A. Generally speaking, it won't say APIZZA if it's not Neapolitan. If it says APIZZA in flickering neon, go right in and inhale. If you smell a little burnt olive oil and oregano in the air, order up. Everything will be OK.

For what it's worth, Pepe's neon doesn't begin with an A. But I guess it's OK, because Frank and family pronounced it abeetz.

Reaction Score
My wife, unfortunately, is a fan of Greek pizza. Not all Greek pizza, but 2 out of her favorite 3 pizza places are greek.

So I've had more than my share of greek pie, and have learned to tolerate it, as long as it's not too doughy.

But it ain't pizza. It doesn't satisfy the craving at all.

But in my mind, both are a hair behind Salerno's in Stratford. I have a thing for Salerno's.

Salerno's is good, but it's not a great pizza. So your wife must like Paradise Pizza in Stratford with their Greek Pizza. It is a Greek Pizza that I really like too and love it when they burn the cheese a little.

Reaction Score
And yet another list, this time 'America's Favorite 35 Pizzerias'

http://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/america-s-favorite-pizzerias

A couple of highlights - please get rid of Pizzeria Regina out of Boston. Been there, done that, not impressed. CT is pizza heaven with 9 entries, including the top 4 - #4 Modern (New Haven), #3 Colony (Stamford), #2 Star (Orange), and #1 Pepe’s (New Haven). I really need to visit the old neighborhood one of these days and re-investigate Roseland in Derby (#27). I actually took the family to the Patsy’s (#13) in Brooklyn next to Barclay’s after the UConn hockey game. I was pliantly surprised that the pie was good and the service was solid). I actually wanted to take them to Sottocasa Pizzeria on Atlantic as I have been there before and love it; but, it was took for of a hike for a hungry 5 year old.

Reaction Score
And yet another list, this time 'America's Favorite 35 Pizzerias'

http://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/america-s-favorite-pizzerias

A couple of highlights - please get rid of Pizzeria Regina out of Boston. Been there, done that, not impressed.
Wholeheartedly agree. I think it always makes these lists, as well as Santarpio's, because it's one of the best in Boston and they feel like a large ethnic city like Boston has to have good pizza. Unfortunately that just isn't true.

Actually Max and Leo's in Newton has probably the best pizza in the area.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But in my mind, both are a hair behind Salerno's in Stratford. I have a thing for Salerno's. It's the direct descendant of the pie I grew up with (C&C, at the corner of Connecticut and Carrol Avenues in Bridgeport). Same family. Same recipe. Same taste and texture.

Salerno's like Roseland, fits my formula for always getting a good pizza when on the road. There MUST be a neon sign in the window or over the door, and it must flicker a bit, or have a letter out. And the magic word must begin with an A. Generally speaking, it won't say APIZZA if it's not Neapolitan. If it says APIZZA in flickering neon, go right in and inhale. If you smell a little burnt olive oil and oregano in the air, order up. Everything will be OK.

I agree that Salerno's is very similar to the pizza I grew up with in Bridgeport/Stratford. It's a decent pie, but like you, I like it more than other non-New Haven pie because it instantly transports me to that "scamozza" pie of my youth. You must have grown up with your family calling it that, right?

But I don't like it better than Pepe's (or Sally's, BAR, Modern or Bufalina). Actually went to Pepe's last night for the first time in a long time. Looking forward to the leftovers tonight...

Salerno's is good, but it's not a great pizza. So your wife must like Paradise Pizza in Stratford with their Greek Pizza. It is a Greek Pizza that I really like too and love it when they burn the cheese a little.
As Greek pizza goes, I also like Paradise. Ate a lot of that growing up, too. Especially with meatballs. But it's not pizza to me. In other words, if I am in the mood for pizza, Greek pizza is not going to do. If I am in the mood for something else tasty to eat, it's perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Very good. They only make one size, a good size personal pizza. Very thin crust (It is a really thin pizza overall) and is great with their hot oil or stingers (a hot pepper). I only tried the Fairfield location a little while after they opened and was not as good as Stamford, like eating at Pepe's in Fairfield.
This is another one I don't get at all, and one I don't consider to be the same food as "apizza." Loaded with oil, tasteless crust. The stingers give a nice little burn, but that's about the extent of the attraction for me. Otherwise it strikes me like a lot of other bar food that tastes great when you're drunk, and feels terrible later and the next day.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
it instantly transports me to that "scamozza" pie of my youth. You must have grown up with your family calling it that, right?

Pronounced "Scamotze" when we were kids. I've been told by a couple native Italians whose word I trust, that scamorza is actually a smoked cheese that is a good bit chewier, stretchier and 'cheesier tasting' than mozzarella. I kind of doubt that's what all the apizza places in Bpt were actually using back in the day, but that's sure what we grew up calling it.

As Greek pizza goes, I also like Paradise. Ate a lot of that growing up, too. Especially with meatballs. But it's not pizza to me. In other words, if I am in the mood for pizza, Greek pizza is not going to do. If I am in the mood for something else tasty to eat, it's perfectly fine.

I had relatives that lived in the Longview park neighborhood, so we ate Paradise a time or two. Might have been the first Greek pie I'd ever tasted. Didn't mind it, but didn't like it that much, either. But all I had to compare it to was real pizza, so I can't say how it stacks up within its own genre. It was tasty, but not pizza as I knew it. Then again, Paul's on East Main street was very different than the places I was most familiar with, and I flat out loved their pie.

Jenny's, was a really popular place in Bpt. back in the 50s and 60s, but I was never really crazy about it. The sauce seemed too sweet and the crust was a bit undercooked for my taste. They moved to Monroe quite a long time ago. I live there, but I never tried them in that location until recently. Tasted exactly like I remember it. Not bad, but not a place I'd go out of my way to eat at.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Pronounced "Scamotze" when we were kids. I've been told by a couple native Italians whose word I trust, that scamorza is actually a smoked cheese that is a good bit chewier, stretchier and 'cheesier tasting' than mozzarella. I kind of doubt that's what all the apizza places in Bpt were actually using back in the day, but that's sure what we grew up calling it.

Yes, same exact pronunciation here. But it was almost always followed by "pie," so it often sounded like it ended with an 'a' when you said them together, kind of like "apizza."

And yes, that is exactly true about scamorza, but it is not usually smoked (I believe that's more common in the northern Italy). And I agree with you, it's probably not what the Bpt. places were using, but it was the name our relatives called it, most likely because that's what they knew moreso than mozzarella. But there was definitely something a little snappier about whatever it was that they used.

I had a grilled cheese sandwich made with scamorza (non-smoked) the other day at a place in Madison. Verrry stretchy. Very good.

I had relatives that lived in the Longview park neighborhood,
You mean L0ngbrook, right?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Has anyone ever taken the time to list out all the places mentioned in this thread and how many times they are mentioned? @Fishy don't we have interns around here?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
You mean L0ngbrook, right?

I looked at that and said to myself, 'that's not right," but was too lazy to look it up. Did you go to the Stfd public schools? If so, you might have had my uncle for math.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did you go to the Stfd public schools? If so, you might have had my uncle for math.
Only until second grade (Great Neck School in Lordship, which no longer exists--the school, that is).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom