OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 262 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Came back home for Thanksgiving and finally got a take out pie from Harrry’s Bishops Corner. Incredibly disappointed. Light on the sauce, and what was there was bland. The whole pie was just “meh” at best. Sadly I must cross them off my list :(

Reaction Score
Recommendations on Norwalk?
I don’t have one for Norwalk, but the other day on my way home from work in Bethel, I knew I would be driving past Frank Pepe’s in Danbury near the Brookfield line and decided to call the wife and say “how about I pick up a pizza on the way home?”, and she said fine. Now I had had Pepe’s on a trip to New Haven about a year ago and was disappointed back then. It was not the Frank Pepe’s I remembered from my younger days 30 or 40 years ago. Any way I called Pepe’s Danbury about 15 minutes out and ordered a large sausage and mushroom pie, picked it up put it in a large pizza warmer bag that I always keep in my trunk and drove home. Now it wasn’t the best pizza I have ever had like at Modern or Zuppardis but it almost was, I was shocked. I had a pie from Pepe’s Danbury about a year earlier and it was terrible, but this was terrific. It was the same Pepe’s pie I remember from my youth. I have say they have cleaned up their act, IMHO.

Reaction Score
Recommendations on Norwalk?
I live in Stamford, but when in Norwalk, I usually hit Letizia’s, which is a hybrid traditional/New Haven/Neopolitan. It’s a thin crust pie, consistently good. If you go 10 minutes further down the line, there is a dependable Sally’s outpost in Stamford, where you will also find literally dozens of traditional pizza restaurants. My go-to is Mario the Baker, a few minutes south of exit 35 on the Merritt. Their grandma pie is also excellent.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I live in Stamford, but when in Norwalk, I usually hit Letizia’s, which is a hybrid traditional/New Haven/Neopolitan. It’s a thin crust pie, consistently good. .
Don't get that love for Letizias. I live around the corner and my gym is across the street. Never had decent pizza from there, a pie or a slice (and I like Mario the Baker). Had a meatball grinder once that was inedible. I'll take Italia over Letizias any day, even if their pizza sauce has too much powdered garlic in it (their marinara sauce doesn't, you can ask them to sub it out when ordering an entire pie). Brian Cashman agrees, I've seen him there twice picking up, a bit of a drive from Darien. The $5 lunch (2 huge slices and a soda) is the best deal in Norwalk. Don't sleep on the pies from Diamond Deli. The owners are greek, but they have a Neapolitan pizza oven and the basic pies are very good (skip the crazy combos).

Reaction Score
Don't get that love for Letizias. I live around the corner and my gym is across the street. Never had decent pizza from there, a pie or a slice (and I like Mario the Baker). Had a meatball grinder once that was inedible. I'll take Italia over Letizias any day, even if their pizza sauce has too much powdered garlic in it (their marinara sauce doesn't, you can ask them to sub it out when ordering an entire pie). Brian Cashman agrees, I've seen him there twice picking up, a bit of a drive from Darien. The $5 lunch (2 huge slices and a soda) is the best deal in Norwalk. Don't sleep on the pies from Diamond Deli. The owners are greek, but they have a Neapolitan pizza oven and the basic pies are very good (skip the crazy combos).
Fair enough my man. I think it’s all personal preference. At least I know we agree on Grigg Street Pizza!

Reaction Score
Company I used to work for in Norwalk always ordered sandwiches from Diamond Deli for lunch but I never tried the pizza, I'll have to give it a shot

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Company I used to work for in Norwalk always ordered sandwiches from Diamond Deli for lunch but I never tried the pizza, I'll have to give it a shot
Diamond moved from New Canaan Ave to Main Street a few years ago. Much bigger space. But the business was recently sold, I'll have to keep tabs as to if anything changes. And unfortunately, big downhill alert on Uncle Joe's. I don't bother anymore, I'll drive to Hope Street pizza when I want a nice Greek salad and pizza

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
And unfortunately, big downhill alert on Uncle Joe's. I don't bother anymore, I'll drive to Hope Street pizza when I want a nice Greek salad and pizza
Uncle Joe's went on the no-go list for me when they went from a pretty good thin crust to Greek. Used to go there a ton after softball games back in the 80s. I can't remember exactly when they made the change, but I ordered one at the bar some time in 90s and immediately went, "wth is this?"

Reaction Score
Has Roseland last night and as good as ever. Props @Jluc. Them and Zupps remain my standouts but I’m looking forward to trying FFLD Sally’s this week.
Haha Had Roseland last night also. Decent as always. I’d still put them a notch below. Plus for a place that has been doing it forever their takeout process is terrible. One guy handling all the takeouts plus the phone. My pie sat there on a table for almost ten minutes before I was able to cash out. And it’s not like i was waiting in a long line

Reaction Score
Haha Had Roseland last night also. Decent as always. I’d still put them a notch below. Plus for a place that has been doing it forever their takeout process is terrible. One guy handling all the takeouts plus the phone. My pie sat there on a table for almost ten minutes before I was able to cash out. And it’s not like i was waiting in a long line

I usually do take out and I appreciate that their pies hold up. Modern is always a bit too soggy and probably too saucy (shoutout Larry David) for me on takeout. I gotta dine in once. Need to try Zenneli’s. Da Legna may actually be my favorite but not NH style.

And yeah, they did a F up the poor guys order in front of me and it wasn’t efficient but I also drove past 20 closer pies in order to taste deliciousness.

Reaction Score
The Sallys Apizza sign is now up in Wethersfield on the Silas Deane. Hopefully that means they'll be opening in the coming months!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I think Modern has been the most consistent of the big 3 for awhile now. I've never gotten a sub par pie at Modern. Still thinking about Zeneli a month later. It was that good!
'consistent.'
i think that u nailed it. not the brand, but the idea.
it's the essence of the entire topic at hand - 'who delivers consistently?'
places that u know always being a jump ball as to what u get move to the bottom of the list. or off the list completely.
not a fan of playing russian roulette with my food choices. of course, over time u may notice a regular problem with a place that u like, and adapt accordingly. for example, my current favorite has a real problem, deciphered over time, and so i never get one there on a Sunday.
different baker.

Reaction Score
First Zuppardi’s tonight via out-of-state frozen delivery. Oven is on pre-heat now.
There have been negative reviews lately, but I did it 3 years ago when it was much cheaper, and it was really good.

Reaction Score
There have been negative reviews lately, but I did it 3 years ago when it was much cheaper, and it was really good.
59A642DE-A5F4-4459-AB64-D231F06FC277.jpeg

Reaction Score
We've had pizza from this place called Domino's.

Not exactly sure where it is, but I think it's owned by some Italian guy or something.

I'm just kidding - if you want the best pizza in Connecticut, you just head towards New Haven. And then keep driving through New Haven and don't stop until you're in New York.

Then buy pizza anywhere, get back in the car, cross the Connecticut border and eat your pizza wherever.
Sorrento’s on Williamsbridge Ave., Bronx, NY. A slice or two of Pepperoni along with a couple garlic knots. Now that’s a good lunch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom