OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Are you using pellets? The only issue I have with the Ooni is the pellet hopper is so small it needs to stoked very often when doing multiple pizzas. Any tricks you use? I have pretty much reverted to just using hardwood lump charcoal.
Yeah, I use pellets and I find it to be a royal pain when making a few pizzas. I really prep everything I need before hand so when I get it hot, I can go and just stay in the rhythm of cooking and stoking. The last two times I cooked with it were 850 and 895 degrees, but I was in a perfect flow and not distracted.

Are you using charcoal in the Ooni? Does that flame up?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've only had Grand in Madison once and it was with Frank. I think he would rate it slightly higher than I would, but it was really good, certainly better than Fuoco IMO. Bufalina is much better than Fuoco or Ernie's IMO, and I doubt the Gavones have ever been there. That's part of what makes his "Top 5" comment hard to take seriously.
Grand is not New Haven-level, nor Bufalina-level, but it's really good.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Are you using charcoal in the Ooni? Does that flame up?

Yes I have the multi fuel model so I have been using charcoal. I typically use a chimney starter to get the coals going then dump them in the back and let the oven heat up. I have not had any issues. I usually keep some wood chunks to give the oven a nice temp bump if needed.

Reaction Score
Yes I have the multi fuel model so I have been using charcoal. I typically use a chimney starter to get the coals going then dump them in the back and let the oven heat up. I have not had any issues. I usually keep some wood chunks to give the oven a nice temp bump if needed.
I have the karu 12 and what I’ve noticed works best for me is lump charcoal to start and right before I launch the pizza I add in some wood to get the flame to come over the top. I like a crispy base though so I don’t add too much wood just enough to get a rolling flame over the top and then let it go for a bit before launching. I’ve found my sweet spot to be about 800 F give or take a couple.

Dove

Andre is The Answer
Reaction Score
Had a small pizza contest with my family last night. Got the Ooni to 895 degrees.

My entry was a shrimp boil pizza. Did a small boil in the afternoon w shrimp, andouille, potatos and corn with garlic and old bay. Made a pizza with a garlic, Mayo, Dijon, butter base and put the rest of the ingredients on top with a layer of fontina. Pretty friggin good and unique.
Sounds dreadful.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
anybody been to gisellas in Danbury? i heard that their pizza was tasty, and the other stuff is quite good. any reviews?
(also. i noticed that Shaq's on the box for a new frosted flakes with cinnamon balls that i saw in the super the other day. bought one. also tasty.)

Reaction Score
Now, that is an odd location. Not even on the main retail strip in Ansonia. With Roseland nearby, it's going to be a tough sell.
They'll will do just fine. Sounds like they needed space for a commercial kitchen and wanted a storefront also. Real Estate (whether they bought or rented) is probably pretty reasonable. And sure Roseland had been in Derby forever but they also are not in a main retail area. I think there is enough business for two outstanding pizza establishments in the valley.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They'll will do just fine. Sounds like they needed space for a commercial kitchen and wanted a storefront also. Real Estate (whether they bought or rented) is probably pretty reasonable. And sure Roseland had been in Derby forever but they also are not in a main retail area. I think there is enough business for two outstanding pizza establishments in the valley.
Especially since they have been selling it at THC for a few years and have already built up brand recognition in the area.

Reaction Score
Has anyone been to Sallys in Stamford yet? Apologies if it was brought up already.. The lines to get in are absurd so I'm hoping it is just as good as New Haven's so its worth the wait OR it's not as good and I can just hit up Colony.

Reaction Score
Has anyone been to Sallys in Stamford yet? Apologies if it was brought up already.. The lines to get in are absurd so I'm hoping it is just as good as New Haven's so its worth the wait OR it's not as good and I can just hit up Colony.
At 50% as good as new haven it still blows colony away by a large margin

Top Bottom