OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 212 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
The "this makes me feel old" post.

I remember when Lendl skipped Wimbledon because of his grass allergies. He stayed state side and golfed pretty much every day.
Because there is no grass on a golf course?

I am old enough to remember him as well, but I was not a huge fan. Although I did have a tennis shirt in one of the patterns he wore frequently. If I wasn’t too lazy to google it, I am sure I could find an image of it? I believe it had diamond shapes on it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Since it is always fun to stir up debate here, I present Food & Wine, with a surprisingly competent article. It rates the top 10 Pizza states, and delves into the details. The usual suspects land in the top 3.

The Best Pizza in Every State | Food & Wine (foodandwine.com)
On the two Pittsburgh mentions, Il Pizzaiolo was the 2nd neapolitan place here (Regina Margharita was first, owned by Roberto Caparuscio, who later opened up shop in NJ and then created Keste), and was the top sit-down pizza for years, but it has been lapped a few times by newer places. The other mention is Beto's, which to anyone from the Northeast, is an embarrassment to the term "pizza", with its room temperature cheese and canned toppings dumped unceremoniously on top of a rectangular slice of tomato pie. It's supposed to "melt in" while steaming in the bag. It really doesn't.

When in Pittsburgh, head to DiAnoia's or its offshoot Pizza Davide. Or one of the Detroit-style places. Or you could drive a half hour south to Peters for Harry's, where they bought the Harry's recipes from the West Hartford location.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I am old enough to remember him as well, but I was not a huge fan. Although I did have a tennis shirt in one of the patterns he wore frequently. If I wasn’t too lazy to google it, I am sure I could find an image of it? I believe it had diamond shapes on it.

Not literally allergies, he was was a baseliner who wasn’t as good on grass. He lost in the final twice to Borris Becker.

Reaction Score
Not literally allergies, he was was a baseliner who wasn’t as good on grass. He lost in the final twice to Borris Becker.
One of the Wimbledon finals losses was to Pat Cash and then Pat Cash wouldn't dance with Navratilova because she's a lesbian.

Reaction Score
I remember Lendl dominating during my childhood. From Wikipedia: "He was world No. 1 for 270 weeks and won 94 singles titles. At the majors he won eight titles and was runner-up a record 11 times. He also won seven year-end championships."
Not only did he have one of the best topspin forehand’s I ever saw, but could really top his backhand as well with lots of power. I saw Lendl play for the first time on a hot summer night in 1981 at the DC Bank Classic and knew then that this kid was going places. I sat with in ear shot of Bud Collins and Donald Dell who were doing the play by play and both were in awe of the power of Lendl’s ground strokes on both sides of the ball, even at this early stage in his career.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

LENDL FINDS GRASS IS ONLY FOR GOLFERS - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Ivan Lendl, who is ranked No. 4 in the world tennis standing, had said that he is not playing at Wimbledon this year because he does not play well on grass.

Today, the Czechoslovak star expanded on that explanation: He is allergic to grass. ''I sneeze a lot,'' he said. ''I take shots every second day.''

Lendl spoke a few minutes before teeing off for a round of golf at the Westchester Country Club, which has more grass than an infinity of Wimbledons. Lendl proceeded to spend the afternoon walking the 3.6 miles of grass fairways - not including the roughs he also walked - without sneezing or shedding an allergic tear.

Reaction Score
ever try Razza in JC?

last question, didn’t mean to derail this thread

I never went when I was in Hoboken, and as weird as this sounds I will probably go soon now that I am in the burbs (make a night of it - getting to that area of JC is surprisingly hard from Hoboken) - have heard great things.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
We tried to go there twice while in JC for kid commitments. It’s not easy. Literally multiple hour waits. This was pre-covid. One of the times we checked in at 6pm and they wouldn’t take our name because they wouldn’t get through the list before closing. Mostly hipsters looking to get in. I find that’s usually a sign that something is overrated (but that isn’t a scientific analysis).
'Literally multiple hour waits.'
yikes! i was raised to think that anything more than 'please have a seat in our bar, and we will call u shortly when ur table is ready' was our invitation to leave, immediately. i mean, a restaurant isn't like an oasis in the desert. yikes! 2 hours (1 hour...1/2 hour...)
did i say yikes?

Reaction Score
Has anyone had Papa Johns? How good is it compared to Pizza Hut/Dominos?
Papa John‘s was the best I could get when I was in Ky. I had to feed a crew sometimes and it was a cheap out .
It’s better than Domino’s but still not good by Connecticut standards .
Isn’t Pizza Hut Chicago style to me that’s a whole different category .
There are actually better quality Chicago style PIZZA in my area plus some bad ones as it a big retirement area for Midwesterners.
I don’t consider it real pizza but that’s me.
The best NY/Conn style I’ve found is Grimaldi’s they make us an off menu pie. When I’m in Ct I will go to Pepe’s in Danbury for their summer pie.
and white birch soda.
New Haven is a brutal trip from Litchfield County
I use to go there often when my brother was still alive but have no reason to go there now. Plus that Location is not what it once was and if it’s better than Danbury is only marginally.

Reaction Score
Made the trek up To New Haven for some Sally's this past weekend. Just as phenomenal as I remember it.

Edit: just to make everyone hungry
4D1974F8-E800-478F-B218-8FACC4A878FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Had some Pizza this weekend from a food truck with a wood burning brick oven. Honestly it was some of the best Pizza I have ever had. Tremendous fresh ingredients ,thin crust it was unreal. The name of the Truck was East Coast Pizza and I think they are from the New Haven area. I believe that they only do catering for large groups but it was really excellent.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Made the trek up To New Haven for some Sally's this past weekend. Just as phenomenal as I remember it.

Edit: just to make everyone hungry
View attachment 67888

I am envious. That's a good looking pie. So much of my local pizza is disappointing, and even the decent ones fall well below that bar.

Reaction Score
Is there a better time of day to visit Sally's to avoid crowds?
Cannot say I'm an expert on this. We went Saturday during a beautiful day at 1 o'clock and waited for about 20 minutes. Definitely not overwhelming crowds. I think the big outdoor space they have now helps tremendously.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite 'hole in the wall' places was Antonio's on the Hartford Turnpike in North Haven. Great white pizza, broccoli/mushrooms/onions/mozz.

Reaction Score
Cannot say I'm an expert on this. We went Saturday during a beautiful day at 1 o'clock and waited for about 20 minutes. Definitely not overwhelming crowds. I think the big outdoor space they have now helps tremendously.
Yeah they have a massive tent next to the storefront right now. I don't think it's permanent, but it's definitely a lot easier to get a seat at Sally's right now.

Speaking of outdoor space, Bufalina has added a van based bar to their patio. Hours are still pretty tight (Thu-Sat 4-8), but it's a lot easier to get a reservation than to get a takeout slot, and the bar adds a lot to the experience.
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 8.50.17 AM.png

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah they have a massive tent next to the storefront right now. I don't think it's permanent, but it's definitely a lot easier to get a seat at Sally's right now.

Speaking of outdoor space, Bufalina has added a van based bar to their patio. Hours are still pretty tight (Thu-Sat 4-8), but it's a lot easier to get a reservation than to get a takeout slot, and the bar adds a lot to the experience. View attachment 67918
We went last Saturday. Nice cocktails and they have really improved that space. Nice to be back on premises there again.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Did Pepe's in New Haven last night. It had been a while and I forgot how much I liked their bacon pizza. My dining mates also ordered a small white clam, but I'm not a fan so didn't go near it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom