OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 215 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Obviously these lists are subjective and it's very hard to rank hundreds of thousands of pizza places. But this list sucks. Looks like they're just trying hard to be different.

Number 10 is a place I've never heard of up here in Boston. I've been to all of the supposedly best pizza places up here because my son likes to try them all and Posto has never been mentioned on any lists or by anybody I've ever spoken to about pizza.

It says the top 50 is the best place for each state but then when you click on the best pizzas in each state it doesn't correspond to their number 1 pick. For example, Posto is ranked as the 6th best in MA but then is the best in MA on the top 50 and number 10. Strange.
List are lists but anytime I see apizza and craft drinks in the same review - it raises an eyebrow.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Apizza should only be served with one of two things . Foxon Park or an old timey lager like Rolling Rock. No frills to take away from coal fired char.
that's sum good mulch right thar, yes indeedy.
not much for alcohol personally, but, especially in warm weather, when we're burnin up sum za for the folks on the outdoor, wood fired, fieldstone handmade thingamajig, the colemans (and not ripoff yetis) are jacked with rollers, bud and b-lites, ultras, and such, and pepsis, foxy white birches, g-ales, and gallons of well-water from the tap. some kind of magic right thar.

'yes, indeedy?' they got that from me. lol.
(update: mg just saw this on her shoephone, called in to inform me that sundays weather calls for one, and she'll buy the suds and such. lovely. now i've got to scramble around for a pail of 00 flour and all the topping stuff. great, a bunch of knuckleheads barking at me, asking 'can u make one with...,' followed by 'it's too burnt' and such, and then followed by her whisper in my ear 'be nice...' garuntee.
i should prolly go fishin instead, but i do luv me sum righteous za with the big bubbles, and a cold one. yes, indeedy.)

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'thingamajig,' sumthing like this, but not as fancy.
0cb7e37274b83087d36eaa4725c177ea.jpg

Reaction Score
I had pizza tonight at Frisco's on Forbes Avenue in New Haven, and it was excellent.
I don't eat pizza enough to compare it to the New Haven Big 3.

But, the crust hit the spot and the seasoning and flavor hit the spot.

Though I have had pizza from Sally's, Pepe's and Modern, and IMO, Modern is the ultimate best.

Reaction Score
Genny screamers the next morning.

Best year of weight loss in college was when I drank Genny Cream Ale.

Colonoscopy prep was practically constipation compared to morning after Genesee.

A couple of years back, I was up in Rochester NY for work and stopped by the Gennesse Brew House right below the falls for lunch after a rough morning. Don't remember what I had, but they were selling Genny Cream in the gift store. My old man use to drink it all of the time. So, I bought a half-case and gave it to him the next time I saw him as a present. He looked at me smiled, popped one open, took a long swig and then promptly spit it out. I spend the next 15 minutes laughing as he cursed up a storm. I guess it was true, he got the Cream when I was younger because even when I was under 21 and wanted a beer, he know I wouldn't touch that shi!.

Reaction Score
I guess i'm an oddball, but I never had an issue with Gennie Cream. It was better than some of the other cheap swill we used to buy.
It was better than a long list of similarly priced crap like Matt's, Hamm's, Meister Brau and a bunch of others I've chosen to forget.

Reaction Score
Heading up to Farmington in a few weeks. Besides Pepe's satellite location in West Hartford, which I have already been to, what's a good pizza joint to take the boys to in either Farmington or West Hartford? The misses wants Mexican, so taking her to Toro Loco the day we don't go out for pizza.
Naples just up the street from Toro Loco is quite good

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Whelp. I guess we suck. Im moving to Portland, OR.

I don't disagree with the premise that, "a great pizza city should showcase a number of different styles done well," but if that's the main criteria, then how did they limit themselves to 12 cities, and how was Old Forge one of those? Hell, Pittsburgh could've probably beat a few cities on that list as I can find at least one really good Neapolitan, one really good Detroit, one really good Grandma (not my thing), one really good Sicilian, etc.

Portland may have great artisanal pies as they have great artisanal everything else. I might even like some of them. But likely not a pizza place that doesn't serve sauce on any of their pizzas. I think we call those "flatbreads" elsewhere.

Reaction Score
How do you reheat your pizza, next day or so, to get as close to when you brought it?

Of course not microwaved, but using oven or toaster oven. What temp and how long?

Mine never taste as good as when brought, especially the crust. The crust gets softer (I'm sure due to toppings) and the pizza loses its flavor. I'm preheating the oven at 400 then turn it off and put the slices in for 10-15 minutes.

Reaction Score
How do you reheat your pizza, next day or so, to get as close to when you brought it?

Of course not microwaved, but using oven or toaster oven. What temp and how long?

Mine never taste as good as when brought, especially the crust. The crust gets softer (I'm sure due to toppings) and the pizza loses its flavor. I'm preheating the oven at 400 then turn it off and put the slices in for 10-15 minutes.
Frying pan covered medium heat.

Reaction Score
Whelp. I guess we suck. Im moving to Portland, OR.

Myhrvold is a PNW guy with roots and allegiances there. He calls New Haven apizza “notably lame”?! He loses all credibility with that take. And the Scottie’s pizza he gushes over… looks more like the matzah pizza I’m FORCED to make over 8 days in March or April every year.

Reaction Score
i was literally in portland for july 4th weekend... went to supposedly one of the best pizza places in the pearl district for dinner saturday and it was straight up school cafeteria quality. granted it didnt get a shout out in this article.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

I prefer to do it on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet. A few drops of olive oil, heat it until you know it's about to start smoking, and drop the slices in. As soon as the cheese starts to melt, shut it off and cover the pan for a few minutes.

Reaction Score
Imagine being able to go to: Sally's, Pepe's, Modern, Bar, and Zeneli in a 1 mile radius. Then driving 5 minutes to Zuppardi's, and 15 to Bufalina. Imagine then telling someone with a straight face that PORTLAND OREGON IS THE BEST PIZZA CITY IN AMERICA?!?!

Second tier New Haven pizza is among the best in another city.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Imagine being able to go to: Sally's, Pepe's, Modern, Bar, and Zeneli in a 1 mile radius. Then driving 5 minutes to Zuppardi's, and 15 to Bufalina. Imagine then telling someone with a straight face that PORTLAND OREGON IS THE BEST PIZZA CITY IN AMERICA?!?!

Second tier New Haven pizza is among the best in another city.
All the bad pizza shops must’ve been burned down, the only 4.2* one was left so it was deemed best in America.

Reaction Score

1. Frying pan: Get the pan real hot, add the slice or two if pan can fit, turn the gas down to medium low, if theres room add small bit of water on the side and cover immediately. You'll steam the top and crisp up the bottom. The water part isn't necessary but it makes the cheese nice and gooey as if it was a fresh pie.

2. Toaster oven: Preheat at 415 add in the slice for about 5 mins but keep an eye on it. When the cheese starts to bubble on top it should be done.

Ive realized some pizzas will never get as crispy on the bottom no matter what in a toaster. I have had much better luck with the soggy slices on a frying pan.

Reaction Score
Was down in Mystic with a visiting family member who had to have Mystic Pizza. Dear lord. Their large pizza is not kidding the size of a small and nothing great at that. $18 for a small pizza, wow.

Reaction Score
Frying pan covered medium heat.
About 30 seconds in the microwave to heat the inside and roughly 3 minutes in the air fryer works for me with respect to the bar pies I get here in Jersey and when I take-out from Pepe's Danbury on the way home from CT seems to work for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom