OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 214 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Page 213 was chock full of highlights.
And I noticed, for the first time, that Jibsey's avatar sports some top-layer iceberg lettuce: all of the crunch with none of the burnt.
Take that Pepis!

Reaction Score
Heading up to Farmington in a few weeks. Besides Pepe's satellite location in West Hartford, which I have already been to, what's a good pizza joint to take the boys to in either Farmington or West Hartford? The misses wants Mexican, so taking her to Toro Loco the day we don't go out for pizza.

Reaction Score
Heading up to Farmington in a few weeks. Besides Pepe's satellite location in West Hartford, which I have already been to, what's a good pizza joint to take the boys to in either Farmington or West Hartford? The misses wants Mexican, so taking her to Toro Loco the day we don't go out for pizza
Harry's Bishops Corner or Joey's Piazza, both in West Hartford.

Reaction Score
I mean just having a change of pace option on "what tonight? Colony, or Sally's"? astronomically ups Stamford's pizza game. They are both great, but different enough that having an alternate option depending on mood makes you better than 99% of America.
Well, I guess we have a difference of opinion. I like:

Coal House
Niko's
John the Baker
Hell, in a pinch even Planet!

When I was growing up I spent a lot of time with grandparents who lived in East Haven. Most Friday nights like clockwork it was pizza time and we had generally the following options:

Pepe's
Sally's
Modern
Tolli's
DePalma's
(Occasionally when they were bringing me back to my parents in North Haven we would hit Grand Apizza North, Lanterna Rossa, Bimonte's, or Angelo's)

Out of all of 'em I grew to hate Pepe's and Sally's because even as a kid back in the 80s I always felt like those two gave you soooooo much less for your money and had the smallest pies/ingredients ratio. And I despise the whole 'thin crust' ethos as well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Out of all of 'em I grew to hate Pepe's and Sally's because even as a kid back in the 80s I always felt like those two gave you soooooo much less for your money and had the smallest pies/ingredients ratio. And I despise the whole 'thin crust' ethos as well.
Spoken like a true republican! :D

Although I'm surprised you like Coal House.

Reaction Score

Coal House
Niko's
John the Baker

When I was growing up I spent a lot of time with grandparents who lived in East Haven. Most Friday nights like clockwork it was pizza time and we had generally the following options:

Pepe's
Sally's
Modern
Tolli's
DePalma's
(Occasionally when they were bringing me back to my parents in North Haven we would hit Grand Apizza North, Lanterna Rossa, Bimonte's, or Angelo's)

There’s nothing wrong with Coalhouse. Dependable is how I would describe their pizza. In fact, their Stinger pie is tasty, but once CH pizza hits the box, RIP pizza. Planet Pizza’s Stamford location is horrible. John the Baker has fallen so far. It’s a completely different pizza experience than it was 30 years ago. I would take Mario the Baker on High Ridge over JTB for old school Stamford pizza. In the end, if I want good standard stuff, I’d rather hop on the Merritt for the 15 minute drive to Letizia’s in Norwalk. Or make the effort to eat the exceptional sourdough pies Grigg Street Pizza is making in Greenwich.

Reaction Score

Coal House
Niko's
John the Baker

Pepe's
Sally's
Modern
Tolli's
DePalma's

Had a John the Baker pizza years ago. As I recall it was excellent then. Thought it was better than Niko’s or Colony.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can we agree that there is a difference between a nicely charred pie and a burnt one.

Was reading the responses and was getting ready to type the same thing.

Yes, there is a difference between charred and burnt. And the distinction between them is going to vary by person.

Reaction Score
Last day of last PD at school and the Big Green pizza truck stopped by, crushed it as usual. Felt great to have a normal faculty celebration this year!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Slightly off topic, but are there any fans of what is known in Mass as "South Shore Bar Pizza". While it isn't New Haven Apizza, it's pretty tasty stuff and beats the hell out of "House of" Greek pizza. My wife is from that area and found online recipes and detailed instructions on making those pies at home. This was the result, quite good results.

Bar pizza.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Back in '99-'01 when I was living in Quincy, The Alumni had a pretty good $5 bar pie. The place has closed since then and it wasn't Colony good, but I probably ate a dozen of them in those couple of years. Unfortunately didn't know about Linwood, et.al.until I was in Pittsburgh. And we have nothing like those here

Reaction Score
Heading up to Farmington in a few weeks. Besides Pepe's satellite location in West Hartford, which I have already been to, what's a good pizza joint to take the boys to in either Farmington or West Hartford? The misses wants Mexican, so taking her to Toro Loco the day we don't go out for pizza.
Honestly? I would try the Detroit Style pizza from Joey's on Park Road. I can't stop thinking about that pizza.

Reaction Score
Was reading the responses and was getting ready to type the same thing.

Yes, there is a difference between charred and burnt. And the distinction between them is going to vary by person.
I don’t see a difference between burned black or charred black. How are they different? When I see black smudges on my hands and fingers, around my mouth, and on my napkins, that’s an overdone crust. When I eat at Pepe’s or Sally’s, that’s what I get. I don’t get that at Modern or Zupp’s.

Reaction Score
Slightly off topic, but are there any fans of what is known in Mass as "South Shore Bar Pizza". While it isn't New Haven Apizza, it's pretty tasty stuff and beats the hell out of "House of" Greek pizza. My wife is from that area and found online recipes and detailed instructions on making those pies at home. This was the result, quite good results.

View attachment 68041
Not a huge fan, I would call the Roseland pizzas they make at Bad Sons Brewery in Derby bar pies and they are probably the best bar pies I've had.

Reaction Score
I don’t see a difference between burned black or charred black. How are they different? When I see black smudges on my hands and fingers, around my mouth, and on my napkins, that’s an overdone crust. When I eat at Pepe’s or Sally’s, that’s what I get. I don’t get that at Modern or Zupp’s.
You realize the difference between coal, oil, and gas right? Pepe's cooked their pies the same 20 years ago, 40 years ago, 60 years ago...

Reaction Score
Naples in Farmington. Excellent pizza and the owner Kurt is a UConn alum.

Reaction Score
You realize the difference between coal, oil, and gas right? Pepe's cooked their pies the same 20 years ago, 40 years ago, 60 years ago...
No they didn’t. Frank Pepe died in 1969, and it took 50 years for management to screw up a good thing but they eventually did. The Pepe’s I had as a kid back in mid 60’s were not burned around the edges like they are now. It’s sad.

Reaction Score
There’s nothing wrong with Coalhouse. Dependable is how I would describe their pizza. In fact, their Stinger pie is tasty, but once CH pizza hits the box, RIP pizza. Planet Pizza’s Stamford location is horrible. John the Baker has fallen so far. It’s a completely different pizza experience than it was 30 years ago. I would take Mario the Baker on High Ridge over JTB for old school Stamford pizza. In the end, if I want good standard stuff, I’d rather hop on the Merritt for the 15 minute drive to Letizia’s in Norwalk. Or make the effort to eat the exceptional sourdough pies Grigg Street Pizza is making in Greenwich.
Grigg Street ftw! Urge yall to give it a try if ever in the area. Its good enough to take exit 3 and make a quick pit stop if ever driving by on 95.

Reaction Score

Obviously these lists are subjective and it's very hard to rank hundreds of thousands of pizza places. But this list sucks. Looks like they're just trying hard to be different.

Number 10 is a place I've never heard of up here in Boston. I've been to all of the supposedly best pizza places up here because my son likes to try them all and Posto has never been mentioned on any lists or by anybody I've ever spoken to about pizza.

It says the top 50 is the best place for each state but then when you click on the best pizzas in each state it doesn't correspond to their number 1 pick. For example, Posto is ranked as the 6th best in MA but then is the best in MA on the top 50 and number 10. Strange.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom