OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 213 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I heard no complaints. My sister in law gladly took the couple of leftover pieces. The classes of '89 & '90 were in the house.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah they have a massive tent next to the storefront right now. I don't think it's permanent, but it's definitely a lot easier to get a seat at Sally's right now.

Speaking of outdoor space, Bufalina has added a van based bar to their patio. Hours are still pretty tight (Thu-Sat 4-8), but it's a lot easier to get a reservation than to get a takeout slot, and the bar adds a lot to the experience. View attachment 67918

Kill me now. ;-)

Reaction Score

-> It’s official: Sally’s Apizza, an internationally-renowned Wooster Street destination, will expand beyond New Haven. The new restaurant will open in Stamford, later this summer at 66 Summer Street.

The 4,000 square foot Stamford location features a mezzanine and outdoor patio, a dedicated fulfillment area for takeout and delivery, and a full bar, with craft beer and cocktails. Decor will highlight art and memorabilia nodding to Sally’s history as a favorite stop among musical artists, like Frank Sinatra and the Rolling Stones.<-

Reaction Score

-> It’s official: Sally’s Apizza, an internationally-renowned Wooster Street destination, will expand beyond New Haven. The new restaurant will open in Stamford, later this summer at 66 Summer Street.

The 4,000 square foot Stamford location features a mezzanine and outdoor patio, a dedicated fulfillment area for takeout and delivery, and a full bar, with craft beer and cocktails. Decor will highlight art and memorabilia nodding to Sally’s history as a favorite stop among musical artists, like Frank Sinatra and the Rolling Stones.<-

This is the best news I've heard all week

Reaction Score
Had a margherita and white clam at Pepis Fairfield the other day meeting my son out out of the city. I do not understand the hoopla. Very slim on the toppings, burnt crust. What’s to like?

Reaction Score

Well, on behalf of those of us living in Stamford that grew up on this crap, that certainly sucks. Hopefully they get drowned out by the alternatives.

Reaction Score
Had a margherita and white clam at Pepis Fairfield the other day meeting my son out out of the city. I do not understand the hoopla. Very slim on the toppings, burnt crust. What’s to like?
The well done crust and undercarriage is obviously part of what's to like, that's how pizza is supposed to be made. The locations outside of New Haven aren't even close to as good and the Fairfield location was the worst one I've been to.

Reaction Score
Well, on behalf of those of us living in Stamford that grew up on this crap, that certainly sucks. Hopefully they get drowned out by the alternatives.
I don’t understand your point, or I’m missing something here. Why would you want Sally’s to be drowned out by existing options? The alternatives, outside of the bar pie style, and Greek pizza (if that’s your thing), are numerous and mediocre. Most of us who grew up in Stamford know that it is the capital of average, forgettable, decent pizza. If this Sally’s location churns out even a decent replica of what’s found on Wooster Street, that pie will be better than anything found in Stamford. It’s also a great addition to the lively scene found on lower Summer Street pre-covid.

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
I don’t understand your point, or I’m missing something here. Why would you want Sally’s to be drowned out by existing options? The alternatives, outside of the bar pie style, and Greek pizza (if that’s your thing), are numerous and mediocre. Most of us who grew up in Stamford know that it is the capital of average, unmemorable pizza. If this Sally’s location churns out even a decent replica of what’s found on Wooster Street, that pie will be better than anything found in Stamford. It’s also a great addition to the lively scene found on lower Summer Street pre-covid.

I mean just having a change of pace option on "what tonight? Colony, or Sally's"? astronomically ups Stamford's pizza game. They are both great, but different enough that having an alternate option depending on mood makes you better than 99% of America.

Reaction Score
The well done crust and undercarriage is obviously part of what's to like, that's how pizza is supposed to be made. The locations outside of New Haven aren't even close to as good and the Fairfield location was the worst one I've been to.
Who said it;s supposed to be made that way? Is it chiseled on stone tablets somewhere? I like a crust well done but no burnt flavor. Sometimes these things can be too thin and burn easily.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Who said it;s supposed to be made that way? Is it chiseled on stone tablets somewhere? I like a crust well done but no burnt flavor. Sometimes these things can be too thin and burn easily.
We said so.

Apparently you're thin.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My kids agree with you.

August_West

Reaction Score

Jibsey: But, seriously, no b.s...if you ever want to eat pizza or just get weird with somebody...You know...buddies.
8883:
I'll drop by. You drop by my place any time.
jibsey: What's your address? You're on Briar, right?
8893 : Briar, yeah. Number 2.
Jibsey : Do you have a willington pizza ?
8893: and a pond. A pond would be good for you. Natural spring water.
Jibsey:
Anything would be good.

Reaction Score
Jibsey: But, seriously, no b.s...if you ever want to eat pizza or just get weird with somebody...You know...buddies.
8883:
Jibsey:
Anything would be good.
OK, just tell us what drug you took. We’ll get someone right over.

Reaction Score
8883:
Jibsey:
Anything would be good.
Caddyshack reference gets a like from me every. Single. Time!

Reaction Score
Over hyped, over cooked, and way over priced. Pepe’s hasn’t baked a good pie in 20 years. It’s sad because 40 years ago it was the best.

Reaction Score
Over hyped, over cooked, and way over priced. Pepe’s hasn’t baked a good pie in 20 years. It’s sad because 40 years ago it was the best.
Over cooked he says, what a load of nonsense. Pepe's on Wooster still makes excellent pies.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand your point, or I’m missing something here. Why would you want Sally’s to be drowned out by existing options? The alternatives, outside of the bar pie style, and Greek pizza (if that’s your thing), are numerous and mediocre. Most of us who grew up in Stamford know that it is the capital of average, forgettable, decent pizza. If this Sally’s location churns out even a decent replica of what’s found on Wooster Street, that pie will be better than anything found in Stamford. It’s also a great addition to the lively scene found on lower Summer Street pre-covid.
If the cost of living in Stamford is any indication on Sally’s venture there, expect a $40 pie.

Reaction Score
Over cooked he says, what a load of nonsense. Pepe's on Wooster still makes excellent pies.
It sucks, compared to what it was 40 years ago. I think the grandson that runs the Pepe’s franchise now, spends more time showing off his classic car collection than running the business. His grandfather never burned the crust like that, he was a bread maker. A tiny bit of charring on the crust is fine but nowadays the charring is way overdone. If you want to fill your mouth with black soot be my guest. They skimp on the sausage too at Pepe’s. If I want a good New Haven pie I’ll call Modern or Zuppardis.

Reaction Score
It sucks, compared to what it was 40 years ago. I think the grandson that runs the Pepe’s franchise now, spends more time showing off his classic car collection than running the business.
I guess you completely missed that Gary Bimonte passed away a few months ago…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom