Best Mac and Cheese in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Mac and Cheese in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
you just gave me a flashback. What was the name of that place right next door to the Bottle Shop (hasu's place.....god bless you) on Orange Street where we met 20 some years ago. They made a cheesy chicken dish once in a while too that wasnt as good as you are describing at Avanti but wasnt bad. My memory is shot.
Green Chile Chicken. It was tremendous but did not involve macaroni. I think it had some kind of pastry dough thing going on in there though; more like a casserole. We and several others tried mightily to get or recreate that recipe and were never successful. It was a magical dish and you had to get there early enough in the day or it was sold out. I always wanted some for dinner but they never had it at the end of the day, so I would often buy a massive order at lunch and bring half home.

I think the place was called Annie's then, but I'm not 100% sure because there is a catering place there now called Anna's and I might be conflating it. Pretty sure it was a woman's name though. If not Annie's, maybe Elizabeth's?

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
8893 said:
Green Chili Chicken. It was tremendous but did not involve macaroni. I think it had some kind of pastry dough thing going on in there though; more like a casserole. We and several others tried mightily to get or recreate that recipe and were never successful. It was a magical dish and you had to get there early enough in the day or it was sold out. I always wanted some for dinner but they never had it at the end of the day, so I would often buy a massive order at lunch and bring half home. I think the place was called Annie's then, but I'm not 100% sure because there is a catering place there now called Anna's and I might be conflating it. Pretty sure it was a woman's name though. If not Annie's, maybe Elizabeth's?

That's it , still not sure on the name but absolutely sure about the green chili chicken. Haven't thought about that years. Stuff was awesome. I'd get it every time they had it.... Early.

Reaction Score
The best macaroni and cheese is the one that I don't have to eat. Macaroni and cheese is to me what brussel sprouts and tongue are to normal people.
Brussel sprouts are awesome and versatile, cook them in rendered bacon fat and golden raisins and add the chunks of bacon at the end of cooking them. Tongue is also great, a quality tongue sandwich on rye from a Jewish deli and lengua tacos are as good as it gets.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Brussel sprouts are awesome and versatile, cook them in rendered bacon fat and golden raisins and add the chunks of bacon at the end of cooking them. Tongue is also great, a quality tongue sandwich on rye from a Jewish deli and lengua tacos are as good as it gets.
You're going to make a lot of people sick with this selection but I'm with you.

Funny thing about tongue. It is universally repulsive. Filet mignon oth is universally liked. And yet anatomically tongue should be considered far less repulsive than filets at least if you consider the goings in are much less repulsive than the goings out.

I like them both. Like most foods. Although I must confess I never had spotted dick.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
superjohn said:

You are my gastric brother from another mother. I eat all that stuff. Deli tongue especially when mixed with pastrami or corned beef is one of my all time favorite sandwiches. Adore lengua tacos too. And cabeza for that matter.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You are my gastric brother from another mother. I eat all that stuff. Deli tongue especially when mixed with pastrami or corned beef is one of my all time favorite sandwiches. Adore lengua tacos too. And cabeza for that matter.
Every time I went to Storrs for a game I hit Reins Deli for a tongue sandwich. Always got the extra thick sandwiches. Sometime with corn beef, sometimes with pastrami. MM and later first night always started with Reins. I loved those experiences. First there was great food and then a taste to satisfy my sports passion.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
You're going to make a lot of people sick with this selection but I'm with you.

Funny thing about tongue. It is universally repulsive. Filet mignon oth is universally liked. And yet anatomically tongue should be considered far less repulsive than filets at least if you consider the goings in are much less repulsive than the goings out.

I like them both. Like most foods. Although I must confess I never had spotted dick.
The last time I saw spotted dick was..when I had chicken pox.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The last time I saw spotted dick was..when I had chicken pox.
Question. Did you see spot run?! Or was the pox too debilitating?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Combine the two. The mac and cheese pizza at Wooden Tap is pretty good.
I was saving that for the piece de resistance. The nirvana of all food threads.

Reaction Score
I've never really found a food I didn't like, never understood those people who won't try things.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

I don't mind either one, but I thought most people did. I agree with you 100% on the tacos. If you're ever in the Madison area, try a lengua taco from Taqueria Cinco. It's a heavenly experience.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I don't mind either one, but I thought most people did. I agree with you 100% on the tacos. If you're ever in the Madison area, try a lengua taco from Taqueria Cinco. It's a heavenly experience.
There is a black bus that parks at the Guilford green. Might be same hombre. Lengua is printed on the side.

Reaction Score
I've never really found a food I didn't like, never understood those people who won't try things.
Tongue is tasty, the problem I had with it was psychological. I would take a bite of my lengua taco, enjoy the flavor, and then immediately my mind would remind me what I was chewing on.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Whole foods has some solid mac and cheese at their buffet.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Tongue is tasty, the problem I had with it was psychological. I would take a bite of my lengua taco, enjoy the flavor, and then immediately my mind would remind me what I was chewing on.
This is my problem with it and why I haven't tried it...yet.

Friends who don't have that issue have raved about the Rick Reuben (50/50) at Meat & Co. I am a fan of the place and have loved everything I've had there. Maybe one of these days I'll try the tongue.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Is this really a question? (I need a tag line too)

Duh!

Kraft.jpg

Reaction Score
There's a place here in Milford called Mac n' out that's pretty solid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads