Best Live Album

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You guys are all wrong.

Thin_Lizzy_-_Live_and_Dangerous.jpg

Next.

Reaction Score
Bill Evans Trio: Sunday at the Village Vanguard.

Recorded just two weeks before bassist Scott LaFaro's death, owning a first pressing of this is probably my prized piece in my vinyl collection. "Jade Visions" haunts me every time I hear it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hard to argue against "Alchemy", but I've always dinged that album for two reasons, one for not putting "Skateaway" on it, as that's one of my favorite DS songs, and two, for spelling espresso with an X.

I'll second The Kinks "One for the the Road".

And I'll add "Live In the Air Age" by BeBop Deluxe.

Also gonna mention that "Pulse" from Floyd, while somewhat lacking as a CD, really comes to life as a DVD, and the uncut version of "Comfortably Numb" is my personal favorite performance of any song, ever. That six minute ending solo is just magnificent.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
+1 on Hammersmith but it could be topped this month with the release of No Nukes 79
Another great one. I have a lot of the live uploads he releases of the concerts we’ve seen him at and the opening night of The River tour here in Pittsburgh was a great one. “Meet Me In The City” is one of my favorite Bruce B-sides, so it was cool that they opened that tour with it

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Probably get flack for this since it's not the "best" live album and not even a favorite band, but I sure have fond memories of hanging out at beach parties on LI Sound listening to Journey's Captured. Despite what you may be thinking, if you've never heard it give it a listen - some good lesser-known songs and a really tight performance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love Bob Seger.
Though I dont think I appreciated his music as much back in his hey day as I did as the years went on.

To me, he is one of the best at telling a story through his music.

Writes almost all his own lyrics and music. I have attended a fair number of concerts, Seger gives the best live performances I have heard, but I'm biased, he's also my favorite rocker.

Reaction Score
Greatful Dead Dick’s Picks, Volume 8 Harpur College (SUNY Binghamton) 1970). First set acoustic. Second and third sets electric. Magical stuff.

Live shows not officially released, but widely available and absolutely spectacular:
The Cars, Univ of Sussex, Brighton, England, 11/22/1978; Steely Dan, Live at JJ’s Bar & Grill, San Diego, 3/23/1974.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Steely Dan, Live at JJ’s Bar & Grill, San Diego, 3/23/1974.
Oh, this reminds me of the bootleg cassette I have of their 1974 performance at the Record Plant. Great stuff!!! Lots of Pretzel Logic and Countdown to Ecstasy.

Reaction Score
Oh, this reminds me of the bootleg cassette I have of their 1974 performance at the Record Plant. Great stuff!!! Lots of Pretzel Logic and Countdown to Ecstasy.
The Record Plant recording is amazing. It’s also the very last set they played together before becoming a studio-only band til 1993. Lineup was amazing..
Donald Fagen – piano, vocals
Walter Becker – bass
Jeff Baxter – guitar
Denny Dias – guitar
Jim Hodder – drums
Jeff Porcaro – drums
Royce Jones – percussion, vocals
Michael McDonald - electric piano, vocals

Sometime in the last year, a ton of Steely Dan basic tracks, unedited outtakes, demos found their way onto YouTube. Treasure trove for any Dan fan (I’m sure you can tell that I am ).

Reaction Score
DMB Live @ Red Rocks (not the weekend on the rocks compilation) and Nirvana Unolugged.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom