Best High School BB Coach Ever in the State of Connecticut | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Best High School BB Coach Ever in the State of Connecticut

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I remember Mr. Verderame. Good man. High school Prinicipal. He was heavily involved in setting up basketball overseas. I think Africa.

My dad was assistant principal under him at Hillhouse.

I remember seeing Tony Vitolo lead HH past Bob Saulsbury’s Cross in the 1990 LL title game. I think that was the last year at HH for both Verderame and Vitolo.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Ralph King, my coach at Brien McMahon
Vito
Bentley
Salisbury
Ray Berry at Norwalk
Walsh at Trinity
Need help with the name of Hillhouse`s coach in the 70-80`s.

Vitolo coached the Academics from 1966-90, compiling a 337-196 record. His best season came in 1986 when Hillhouse went 24-0 and finished No. 1 in the final Register Top 10 poll and fourth nationally by USA Today.

He won his final game in the 1990 Class LL final against Wilbur Cross, coached by Bob Saulsbury.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
My dad was assistant principal under him at Hillhouse.

I remember seeing Tony Vitolo lead HH past Bob Saulsbury’s Cross in the 1990 LL title game. I think that was the last year at HH for both Verderame and Vitolo.
Coach Vitolo was my driving class instructor. Good man.

Reaction Score
I think it's only fair that would be separated by those who were only able to use players within their cities, sides of town etc vs those who are able to "recruit" players from miles outside their city limits. I do know that even "in town" there were always some that had "Uncles and family on the other side of town" hell that happened in Meriden years ago. But city limits is better than those who can go 10-20 miles outside of where they are and gather in talent.

Salisbury is probably#1

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think it's only fair that would be separated by those who were only able to use players within their cities, sides of town etc vs those who are able to "recruit" players from miles outside their city limits. I do know that even "in town" there were always some that had "Uncles and family on the other side of town" hell that happened in Meriden years ago. But city limits is better than those who can go 10-20 miles outside of where they are and gather in talent.

Salisbury is probably#1

10-20?

Some are pulling from other states

the Q

Reaction Score
LOL I was trying to be nice.

Im not.

may senior year our coach moved us up from S to L to not have to play those scummy recruiting types .

instead we drew top 10 in the state Crosby lol

Reaction Score
The old HCC had three very good coaches. Stan Ogrodinik, Joe Reilly and Charlie Larson.
Don Burns started the East Catholic program and had some great years there including a couple of championships.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Reggie O'Brien, Wilby. Actually coached me at Tinker School. Lots of success at the high school level, also at Post U. Several D-1 players, gym named after him, died young.

Reaction Score
If we are talking CIAC the illusion of “recruiting” is so overblown. Catholic schools do not have recruiting budgets and they are certainly not spending time during the season going to middle school games. Most of these coaches pull in players based off reputation and the kids having a good experience going to a summer camp for that program. Yes, that is an advantage as well as getting kids from different towns but it’s just not as prevalent as it’s made out to be.

I actually know of a situation with a local catholic highschool which is kind of funny. Andre Drummond showed up at the school office unannounced to the school or the coach and said he wanted to transfer there to play basketball. He didn’t have a relationship with the coach at all and just had friends that were playing there and knew that program had a great reputation. The school and/or athletic director denied Drummond because he said he wanted to go there just to play basketball and they knew it would look like a recruiting thing when it wasn’t.

the Q

Reaction Score
If we are talking CIAC the illusion of “recruiting” is so overblown. Catholic schools do not have recruiting budgets and they are certainly not spending time during the season going to middle school games. Most of these coaches pull in players based off reputation and the kids having a good experience going to a summer camp for that program. Yes, that is an advantage as well as getting kids from different towns but it’s just not as prevalent as it’s made out to be.

I actually know of a situation with a local catholic highschool which is kind of funny. Andre Drummond showed up at the school office unannounced to the school or the coach and said he wanted to transfer there to play basketball. He didn’t have a relationship with the coach at all and just had friends that were playing there and knew to program had a great reputation. The school and/or athletic director denied Drummond because he said he wanted to go there just to play basketball and they knew it would look like a recruiting thing when it wasn’t.

I know they do for baseball. I played with guys who were recruited as middle schoolers for baseball at both East catholic and immaculate.

So I don’t buy that basketball is any different

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Did anyone mention Nick Augelli from Crosby in Waterbury?
Several really good coaches in the NVL. IMO one of the top 2 or 3 high school basketball leagues in the state.

Reaction Score
I know they do for baseball. I played with guys who were recruited as middle schoolers for baseball at both East catholic and immaculate.

So I don’t buy that basketball is any different

yeah, I’m not saying it never happens..just that it isn’t happening as much as people think.
The catholic schools also lose good players every year (especially recently) to prep schools that truly recruit. There’s also kids that say they are recruited because they attended a camp and the coach asked what they were going to do for high school, etc. but that’s not really recruiting (yes, it’s definitely an advantage though).

the Q

Reaction Score
yeah, I’m not saying it never happens..just that it isn’t happening as much as people think.
The catholic schools also lose good players every year (especially recently) to prep schools that truly recruit. There’s also kids that say they are recruited because they attended a camp and the coach asked what they were going to do for high school, etc. but that’s not really recruiting (yes, it’s definitely an advantage though).

Frankly the catholic schools always should’ve had their own state tournament. It’s laughable that the ciac in its clown car ignorant wisdom thought that they should be playing the S and M sized schools of the world.

At worst they should all have been in LL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom