Best High School BB Coach Ever in the State of Connecticut | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Best High School BB Coach Ever in the State of Connecticut

Reaction Score
Jake Salafia, Cromwell HS (Class S). Won five State Championships in a row 1967-68-69-70-71; lost in State Finals 1972, 1978; won State Championships 1979-80; coached UConn’s Al Weston to four All-State selections; placed four players on the Class S All-State team in 1969; was approached to coach UConn in the ‘70s and declined, stating that he wanted to coach his son in high school in a few years. Amassed a 455-119 record from 1961-86. Member of the New England Basketball Hall of Fame and the Connecticut High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame.
Also lost State Finals in 1984 and 1985 to set the record straight

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Roodner Court is the mecca of Norwalk basketball.
Became real close with most of the ole heads from NHS 84, 85, 86, shout out to my brothers T. Brown, T. Canaveri, Smoke, Puppet, S. Sawyer, and the '87 young bulls P. Howard, S.Maharaj. Great talent in the City of Norwalk coming out of NHS and McMahon during that time-frame.

Reaction Score
Bender retired in 1965, and had coached as head coach at Hillhouse from 1940-1965. After that, for one year, he coached a semi-pro team known as the New Haven Elms, but his record for that year was 8-20. I went to a few games, and one of their best players was Wayne Lawrence from the New London area. They played at the old New Haven Arena, the same place where the New Haven Blades hockey team played.

Sal ("Red") Verderame coached at Wilbur Cross from 1953-66, and was the predecessor of Bob Saulsbury.

I too am dating myself as I remember that era very well.
Wayne Lawrence. Haven't heard that name for a while. Knew him as coach at Waterford HS. Had some conference champions in the 70s. He was all state at Stonington and played college ball at one of the Texas schools in the old SWC. Highly thought of in the area.

Reaction Score
Who do you like?
Warren Harding's coach Charlie Bentley.
Like Jim, won championships and made men. Many from Panic for those that knew BPT. Played against his team that had Was Mathews, our own Mike McKay and John (Bags) Bagley.

We lost.

Reaction Score
Like Jim, won championships and made men. Many from Panic for those that knew BPT. Played against his team that had Was Mathews, our own Mike McKay and John (Bags) Bagley.

We lost.
M M & M wrecking company. Phil Murphy was the third I believe.

Reaction Score

We lost.
Tough team. Good players.
Sounds like the Wilbur Cross teams of that era.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
While they were our arch rivals I always considered Charlie Sharos of South Windsor HS to be a high quality coach - got a lot out of his players

Reaction Score
From mid sixties thru early nineties probably saw 30/40 games per year
So I can actually say I saw the teams and coaches play
At the upper level Charlie Bentley of Harding and Bob’s Salisbury the Wilbur cross we’re far away the two best coaches
The commitment to defense that Bentleys teams had was phenomenal The three-quarter quart zone press with man-to-man principles on the rotation was something to see The full court denial press utilized by coach Saulsberry was equally devastating if I had to choose Between the two I would go to coach Salisbury simply because they played significant amount of games against top-notch competition outside of Connecticut defeating search teams is Saint Anthony’s Washington DC with John Thompson New York city champion do it Clinton New Jersey powerhouse Camden New Jersey Patrick Ewing in Cambridge Rindge and Latin While also scheduling the best teams in Ct

lots of other good “coaches most that have been mentioned in previous posts The two that stand out the most to me would be Joe Riley at South Catholic and Don Usher
Of New Canaan If I had to choose I would go with Coach Usher.. His 1980 Team that went to the final possession before losing to the w cross team that had beaten Patrick Ewing and Cambridge R&l and the team that beat Hamden with Scott Burrell Two examples of great coaching with the next birthday being 70 it’s very easy to be one of the old guys and say how great things were back in the day but as I wrote this I thought of all of the phenomenal players that had seen from the late 60s through the early 90s it truly was a great time for Connecticut high school bssketball

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Also lost State Finals in 1984 and 1985 to set the record straight
My junior and senior years at Cromwell. Art Whitehead of Terryville dunked on us early in the 1984 game. First dunk I ever saw in high school. We beat them in Cromwell that year, but our key defender for Whitehead had physical problems, lost a lot of weight and was not the same guy.
1985 was Suffield. Can't say with certainty, but I think 1 or 2 of their key players were from the city. Ours were all home grown including Salafia's 2nd son who was a junior in '85.
Regardless, losses those 2 years just adds to the resume of getting to the championship.

Reaction Score
I’m a Big Frank Fan
He could 5 kids from the street and make th m into a tram

Frank Crisafi, East Haven, deserves mention. Had a 77 game winning streak from 53-56 that stood until Corny Thompson Middleton team eclipsed it with an 80 game win streak

Career record of 525-196 and all 6 of east haven's state titles
I’m a Crisafi guy
He could teach Boeheim how to play an effective zone.
Late in his career I saw his team in a pre season multi team jamboree. Their biggest guy was 6’0” and they were awful .
I remember thinking it’s an lousy way for a great coach to go out.
Well that team finished with a decent record and made a run in the states
Of all those guys mentioned I don’t think any of them (except maybe Verderame who won with less talented Cross teams ) could make that bunch into a basketball team. My mentor was a rival of his who told me wins over his teams were the highlight of his career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My junior and senior years at Cromwell. Art Whitehead of Terryville dunked on us early in the 1984 game. First dunk I ever saw in high school. We beat them in Cromwell that year, but our key defender for Whitehead had physical problems, lost a lot of weight and was not the same guy.
1985 was Suffield. Can't say with certainty, but I think 1 or 2 of their key players were from the city. Ours were all home grown including Salafia's 2nd son who was a junior in '85.
Regardless, losses those 2 years just adds to the resume of getting to the championship.
I was on the 1984 team. I made an old fashioned 3 point play to get us within 2 with a couple minutes to go but we never got over the hump. The 1980 I referenced was the 8th grade team I was on playing for Holowesko. We never should have lost to Terryville. There are reasons I can't discuss. But we took them lightly after beating them by 20 earlier in the season.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I was on the 1984 team. I made an old fashioned 3 point play to get us within 2 with a couple minutes to go but we never got over the hump. The 1980 I referenced was the 8th grade team I was on playing for Holowesko. We never should have lost to Terryville. There are reasons I can't discuss. But we took them lightly after beating them by 20 earlier in the season.
GB, you know who I was talking about and what the issue was. I think we were lucky to get any playing time out of him after what he went through that year. I thought if he never had that issue we have a much better chance.
We played indoor & outdoor soccer together. BT

Reaction Score
GB, you know who I was talking about and what the issue was. I think we were lucky to get any playing time out of him after what he went through that year. I thought if he never had that issue we have a much better chance.
We played indoor & outdoor soccer together. BT
I know who you are.....good to touch base!

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Got to go with Bob Saulsbury, my high school's coach when I was at Wilbur Cross. Governors, Class of 1982!
Wilbur Cross Basketball 1982 (3).jpeg

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I was cool with Rodney Smith. He was a 6'3" PF, who put in work for Coach King. Quietly, they had a kid on McMahon by the name of Keith Thompson who was a scoring machine. He might have been the most dominant offensively in Southern Ct. Nicknamed Fruity, he was 5'9", dunked with ease and gave you buckets from everywhere.
I know Waverly and Lance. Good dudes

Reaction Score
Jake Salafia, Cromwell HS (Class S). Won five State Championships in a row 1967-68-69-70-71; lost in State Finals 1972, 1978; won State Championships 1979-80; coached UConn’s Al Weston to four All-State selections; placed four players on the Class S All-State team in 1969; was approached to coach UConn in the ‘70s and declined, stating that he wanted to coach his son in high school in a few years. Amassed a 455-119 record from 1961-86, averaging an 18-5 record annually over the course of his 25-year career. Member of the New England Basketball Hall of Fame and the Connecticut High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame.
Apparently Jake passed away today. How ironic given these discussions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom