OT: - Best grinder in CT. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Best grinder in CT.

Reaction Score
Vocatura's in Norwich. Been around since the 1950s, and it is outstanding. Real old-school place. Snowboards are known to buy a dozen (or more) grinder rolls, freeze them and take them south.

Plus, you can't go wrong with a place that once had dynamite placed in the ovens back in 1975 because one of the Vocatura cousins had gambling debts.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks for the heads up on Lino's. I've passed it hundreds of times and had no idea. Will have to check it out.

Reaction Score
A couple of weeks away from the season and the boneyard is still too boring, why not some grinder talk. I'll kick it off with Salerno's and Carbone's in Torrington.

Salerno's is good and convenient but Carbone's grinders are the "best!" I stop everytime I am in Torrington and it doesn't hurt that they are huge NY Giants fans.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I used to love Fortunas but not a big fan anymore.
Granted I don't get there often, and I don't eat many subs these days, period, but when I find myself at Fortuna's I make an exception and go old school, and plainly unhealthy, with either the pizza hero or the combo, with meatballs, sausage & peppers and pizza hero combined. The Godfather also remains a decent Italian cold-cut combo, but not comparable to the likes of A&S or Gaetano's imo.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I didn't even know Montowese had a deli. I grew up in No. Haven. I'll have to ask my brother who lives nearby. Thanks!
There are a bunch of special sandwiches on the wall behind the deli (can be hard to see if your nearsighted like Paul Pasqualoni and myself), but some of them are very very good. One I think is fresh grilled chicken cutlet, bacon, cheese, and barbecue sauce. That is to die for.

Reaction Score
A couple of weeks away from the season and the boneyard is still too boring, why not some grinder talk. I'll kick it off with Salerno's and Carbone's in Torrington.
Yes, love Carbones, it is the mecca , to be measured all against. MONSTER roast beef feeds families... It is my go to place when returning home. Salerno's is also top shelf, with great variety and real italian home made sauces and combos.

Reaction Score
Yes, love Carbones, it is the mecca , to be measured all against. MONSTER roast beef feeds families... It is my go to place when returning home. Salerno's is also top shelf, with great variety and real italian home made sauces and combos.

Torrington is home to a lot of great grinders. A large Carbone's grinder is four meals. The Godfather from Salerno's may be my favorite sandwich in the state. But my personal favorite place is Alfredo's Deli.

Reaction Score
Torrington is home to a lot of great grinders. A large Carbone's grinder is four meals. The Godfather from Salerno's may be my favorite sandwich in the state. But my personal favorite place is Alfredo's Deli.
I used to go to Salerno's many years ago when it was owned by a different guy and for 4 0r 5 bucks the Godfather was the best sandwich I've ever had. Never knew how he made any money because the sandwich must have weighed 2 pounds. The thing was loaded with capicola, proscutinni, salami, cheese, stuffed peppers etc. It's pricier today and still good but nothing touches what Salerno's was back then. Haven't been to Alfredo's in a while but always liked it, Alfredo is a good guy and used to work at Salerno's back in the day before he opened his own joint. Sheik's was another awesome lunch spot in Torrington before the owner retired and closed shop, they did everything well and the mucke's hot dogs on Saturday with the homemade kraut and chili was to die for.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the heads up on Lino's. I've passed it hundreds of times and had no idea. Will have to check it out.

I as well... What's the go to grinder there?

Reaction Score
Forbes Ave. Market was the best in New Haven. No longer exists but the small grocery store had customers lined up from the deli counter in the back all the way out the door at lunch time.

This^^^^^ Forbes Market was awesome.

Scarpellino's wasn't too shabby back then either.

Ray and Mikes on Whitney Ave in Mt Carmel (near QU) is very good as well,

Reaction Score
Patsy's in New London is legendary. Years back, there were lines down the street waiting to get a grinder (take out) on Sunday nites - not to mention lunch time. Just checked - it's still there!

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I have no idea if it's still there, but Toms Deli in Devon used to (20 years ago) have great grinders. The roast beef in particular was insane!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
This^^^^^ Forbes Market was awesome.

Scarpellino's wasn't too shabby back then either.

Ray and Mikes on Whitney Ave in Mt Carmel (near QU) is very good as well,
Medic, Please remind me, where was Scarpellinos?

Reaction Score
Medic, Please remind me, where was Scarpellinos?

On College Street Btwn Crown and George.

Funny thing is they opened a new place on Forbes Avenue down the street from where Forbes Market used to be.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I as well... What's the go to grinder there?
I've only had the Italian combo, which was great. Can't really speak for the others. They do have a menu on line.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Thanks Medic! Kinda out of my way these days but I have to find a time to get there.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
joober jones said:
Bennie's Farm Market in Ess e x used to make the best subs on the planet but they've really gone downhill since the original owners sold it and a new crew is running the show now. Nardelli's is pretty hard to beat too.
bennies sucks I work about 1000 feet from there, terrible but you're right it used to be decent. The prime rib sub with horseradish was great. I wouldn't feed it to my dog now though.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Which Nardelli's is "the" one to go to? One just opened up in Cromwell but the reviews are essentially a nicer version of Subway...

Exit 25 off I84, Waterbury. Best in the state...

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Best "Franchise" grinders
1. Dibella's
2. D'angelos
3. Nardellis
4. Quiznos

Reaction Score
Another good Italian grinder place: Linos Market in Durham.

Lino's is great. Never disappointed when I go there and always recommend it to people.

Deli unlimited in Guilford makes some good grinders and sandwiches.

P&M in Branford is pretty good.

I use to always go to montowese deli years ago but haven't stopped there since that rite aid was built

And whoever said somewhere other b than Rein's Deli in Vernon makes a better pastrami sandwich I don't think I can get behind that. Rein's pastrami sandwiches are amazing

Reaction Score
Lino's is great. Never disappointed when I go there and always recommend it to people.

Deli unlimited in Guilford makes some good grinders and sandwiches.

P&M in Branford is pretty good.

I use to always go to montowese deli years ago but haven't stopped there since that rite aid was built

And whoever said somewhere other b than Rein's Deli in Vernon makes a better pastrami sandwich I don't think I can get behind that. Rein's pastrami sandwiches are amazing

Good call on Reins for most any lunch sandwich but especially the pastrami........they tried to open one up next to me in West Springfield and it wasn't even close to the same as Vernon........

Speaking of sandwiches back in the day for CCourt and other Meriden guys, Goldilocks had the best RBeef and others..........East Main?

Reaction Score
Good call on Reins for most any lunch sandwich but especially the pastrami...they tried to open one up next to me in West Springfield and it wasn't even close to the same as Vernon...

Speaking of sandwiches back in the day for CCourt and other Meriden guys, Goldilocks had the best RBeef and others.....East Main?

Yeah, the original Goldilocks on East Main (just before Les')was great. Good sized sandwiches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom