OT: - Best grinder in CT. | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: Best grinder in CT.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
My experience growing up around New Haven they were always subs. Italian bread looks like a submarine. I think Subway took it from this. Don't know if I heard grinder before U Conn.
Anyone know the derivation of grinder or hoagie?
I do not recall the difference in titles. However I traveled a lot. Here in Central Pa they are Hoagies. You will also see along the states as "Heroes." To take it further not to take sway from the title of this thread, what drink would you order with it. Soda or Pop? I know beer will be the overwhelming choice. Me too.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
My experience growing up around New Haven they were always subs. Italian bread looks like a submarine. I think Subway took it from this. Don't know if I heard grinder before U Conn.
Anyone know the derivation of grinder or hoagie?

Grew up in East haven/new haven and grandfather came over from Sicily in the 20s. I've always called them grinders as that's what my father/grandfather and everyone called them. Never heard anyone call them subs growing up until I moved out of that area

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I had a Sociology class at UConn that actually studied this for one of our assignments. Thought it was pretty interesting to learn the different derivations.

Jimmies, shots, or sprinkles?

Reaction Score
Jimmies, shots, or sprinkles?
Sprinkles, the chocolate ones jimmies. I adopted "jimmies" from my Boston raised friends and stopped saying it because I assumed it's racist.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Sprinkles, the chocolate ones jimmies. I adopted "jimmies" from my Boston raised friends and stopped saying it because I assumed it's racist.
It's not racist, but it can apparently be misinterpreted.

We had family and friends over the house after my son's birthday in August and as ice cream was being served, I asked the kids, "who wants jimmies?"

One of the mothers vitually scolded me for asking 4 year olds if they wanted a side of condoms.

I am from central Massacusetts.

Reaction Score
It's not racist, but it can apparently be misinterpreted.

We had family and friends over the house after my son's birthday in August and as ice cream was being served, I asked the kids, "who wants jimmies?"

One of the mothers vitually scolded me for asking 4 year olds if they wanted a side of condoms.

I am from central Massacusetts.
I honestly don't know what the derivation is but it's weird that only the black ones are called "jimmies." Do you actually know the derivation?

August_West

Reaction Score
I honestly don't know what the derivation is but it's weird that only the black ones are called "jimmies." Do you actually know the derivation?

I wasn't aware that it only applies to chocolate?

Either way it wasn't as egregious as what most people 40 and aboves grandparents called Brazil nuts.

Husky25

Reaction Score
No, but again: Google. I called them all jimmies when I was a kid and since long before I could read, with the only distinction being either chocolate or rainbow.

I understand how it may be construed, I don't buy the racist connotation of the word. For one, up through the mid 20th century, and probably after, the black population was termed "Colored." All sprinkles, including the white ones are colored, so why would only the chocolate ones referred to as Jimmies? Secondly, I wasn't raised like that, so as a kid and even up through the present, there was never any racial intent.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Either way it wasn't as egregious as what most people 40 and aboves grandparents called Brazil nuts.

Or whose toe you caught after eenie, meenie, minie, and moe. I just got through saying I wasn't raised like that, but in my teenage years, my grandparents slipped up a time or two. OTOH you kinda know the difference by that time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Or whose toe you caught after eenie, meenie, minie, and moe. I just got through saying I wasn't raised like that, but in my teenage years, my grandparents slipped up a time or two. OTOH you kinda know the difference by that time.

Or how about a bottle rocket with the wooden stick broken off?

August_West

Reaction Score
Or how about a bottle rocket with the wooden stick broken off?

or jeez...... even from my actual childhood....forget my grandparents..... what it was called when someone drooled on the end of a joint too much. Weve come a long way pretty fast.

Reaction Score

My mom, uncle and aunt said everyone used to call these little candies "n---er babies" and "n---er toes." My dad went to a Catholic city school and he remembers the teacher collecting money for the poor "n---er babies." I get a kick out of people going apoplectic about our PC culture and safe spaces, the alternative is a whole lot worse.

Reaction Score
or jeez. even from my actual childhood....forget my grandparents..... what it was called when someone drooled on the end of a joint too much. Weve come a long way pretty fast.
Or how many times working construction did I hear that something was ***-rigged.

Reaction Score
My mom, uncle and aunt said everyone used to call these little candies "n---er babies" and "n---er toes." My dad went to a Catholic city school and he remembers the teacher collecting money for the poor "n---er babies." I get a kick out of people going apoplectic about our PC culture and safe spaces, the alternative is a whole lot worse.

That's what my grandparents called brazil nuts. SMH.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The standard term for negotiating a lower price was widespread through my growing up.

Reaction Score
Anyone have a suggestion for West Hartford? I want to try something new tomorrow for lunch with a buddy from work.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Anyone have a suggestion for West Hartford? I want to try something new tomorrow for lunch with a buddy from work.

Yeah go somewhere else.

August_West

Reaction Score

Now that Arbys is in the Chicago Beef business the Best grinder in the state is THAT. Go get one!

Reaction Score
Steve's (Rocky Hill) is awful and the most expensive takeout sandwich I can recall ever having. An average tuna was like $9 and it was awful with almost no tuna on it.

if this is true, then you sir are a king among men. i can do a half and then am forced to beg for mercy.

Steve's is pretty good; one of the best pastrami's I've had. It is quite expensive though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom