OT: - Best grinder in CT. | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Best grinder in CT.

Reaction Score
Chicken Parm Grinders - Red Fox in Middletown. Get them with peppers. Excellent.

Good to know. I live within a mile of Red Fox and have only been there once for dinner. My go to grinder shop near my house is Stars and Stripes on East St. as I mentioned in a previous post, but it's good to see another recommendation for a good chicken parm close by. I'll be sure to check it out when I'm home for winter break!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
They close early and get a bit lazy as 7:00 approaches.

My one visit for Wethersfield Pizza chicken parm, in mid-July, was at closing time. There might be something to this post.

Not necessarily "dry & chewy," but definitely below rave quality.

I'll take this as an alert to go for lunch closer to 1pm. This size of the sandwich & friendly vibe were as reported.

Reaction Score
Ok Chicken Parm afficianados... Anyone have Wethersfield Pizza and one of the Middletown places? And the victor...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Claudia's in Farmington. Either chicken cutlet or chicken parmesan.

Reaction Score
Wedges? Heard that in NY, yes?

I dated a girl from Greenwich and that is what grinders were to them. On that level, there was a tiny deli just over the border in Port Chester that made ridiculously good sandwiches. No idea what the name was, but really, really good.

C

Chief00

Good to know. I live within a mile of Red Fox and have only been there once for dinner. My go to grinder shop near my house is Stars and Stripes on East St. as I mentioned in a previous post, but it's good to see another recommendation for a good chicken parm close by. I'll be sure to check it out when I'm home for winter break!
Red Fox - Chicken Parm Grinder is on the lunch menu - but you can order anytime. Be sure to order with peppers IMO.

Reaction Score
I dated a girl from Greenwich and that is what grinders were to them. On that level, there was a tiny deli just over the border in Port Chester that made ridiculously good sandwiches. No idea what the name was, but really, really good.
Firehouse?

Reaction Score
Fair enough we can agree to disagree.

Wait we can agree they are overpriced but so many are now I forget who is and who isn't. But the food is really consistently good from my taste. And the sights, well never overrated!
Never had anything bad at Bricco and yes it's on the pricey end but there are a lot pricier.

Reaction Score
A couple of weeks away from the season and the boneyard is still too boring, why not some grinder talk. I'll kick it off with Salerno's and Carbone's in Torrington.
Back in the late '70s there was a place on Chapel St in New Haven between Church and Orange that made the most delicious cheesesteak grinders. I got the 18-incher just about every day.

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of Sapore's in Trumbull. Haven't had a bad grinder from there yet.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
In CT, home of the submarine and the first Subway restaurant, the sandwich is called a sub. The best is a whole cheeseburger sub from Teds.

Reaction Score
Red Fox - Chicken Parm Grinder is on the lunch menu - but you can order anytime. Be sure to order with peppers IMO.

Had it today with the peppers. Could of used a bit more sauce, but overall an excellent grinder. The chicken was tasty, lots of melty cheese, and the bread was perfectly toasted. Wethersfield Pizza is still better imo, but its closer than I expected. I also liked it better than Stars and Stripes, which is right around the corner from Red Fox.

Reaction Score
In CT, home of the submarine and the first Subway restaurant, the sandwich is called a sub. The best is a whole cheeseburger sub from Teds.

No. It was a grinder in CT before pre-fab Subways ever arrived. I know. I'm old. Down county I like Fortuna's in Westport for hot and cold.

Last edited:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
The original Nardelli's
I was going to post Nardellis. I haven't been back to Waterbury in many years. Nardelli's still around? I thought there was one off the Scott Road Exit. Actually the on ramp to 84. The other I thought was on the hill going to Mount Carmel church. Maybe it was another grinder place. I think it might of been near St. Joe's. Anyway it was a great grinder.

Reaction Score
I was going to post Nardellis. I haven't been back to Waterbury in many years. Nardelli's still around? I thought there was one off the Scott Road Exit. Actually the on ramp to 84. The other I thought was on the hill going to Mount Carmel church. Maybe it was another grinder place. I think it might of been near St. Joe's. Anyway it was a great grinder.

There's one everywhere. Meriden even has one and yes the Waterbury one you can see right off 84. Very good sandwiches no doubt.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
No. It was a grinder in CT before pre-fab Subways ever arrived. I know. I'm old. Down county I like Fortuna's in Westport for hot and cold.

My experience growing up around New Haven they were always subs. Italian bread looks like a submarine. I think Subway took it from this. Don't know if I heard grinder before U Conn.
Anyone know the derivation of grinder or hoagie?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom