OT: - Best grinder in CT. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best grinder in CT.

Reaction Score
Steve's is pretty good; one of the best pastrami's I've had. It is quite expensive though.

I'll tell my friend/coworker that on Monday. I may need to check it out. I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it. Thanks

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Holy crap. I wish this thread had been started yesterday. I was in Wethersfield last night with my two oldest daughters for the Alpine Haus ski sale and we needed to kill an hour while they did some work on our skis, so we went for dinner. Tried to get into Wood-n-Tap but the wait was too long; drove around to look elsewhere and kept being intrigued by the Wethersfield Pizza sign, directly across the street from Alpine Haus, proclaiming it the Home of Chicken Parm. I knew nothing about the place and half-expected it to be mediocre or worse, but decided I would check it out when nothing else looked appealing to me. As we walked up to the door, around 7:20, a woman came out to close it, telling us they were closing.

I wanted to explode with rage because I was starving and two teenaged daughters had just about driven me to the brink (again), but I shut up (I'm learning) and sulked off to Panera, which made them happy but was mediocre at best. If only I had known I didn't even need to move my car and could have just walked across the street to have an epic CT food experience.

I think I am more miserable now than I was when that lady closed the door on us.

Reaction Score
Holy crap. I wish this thread had been started yesterday. I was in Wethersfield last night with my two oldest daughters for the Alpine Haus ski sale and we needed to kill an hour while they did some work on our skis, so we went for dinner. Tried to get into Wood-n-Tap but the wait was too long; drove around to look elsewhere and kept being intrigued by the Wethersfield Pizza sign, directly across the street from Alpine Haus, proclaiming it the Home of Chicken Parm. I knew nothing about the place and half-expected it to be mediocre or worse, but decided I would check it out when nothing else looked appealing to me. As we walked up to the door, around 7:20, a woman came out to close it, telling us they were closing.

I wanted to explode with rage because I was starving and two teenaged daughters had just about driven me to the brink (again), but I shut up (I'm learning) and sulked off to Panera, which made them happy but was mediocre at best. If only I had known I didn't even need to move my car and could have just walked across the street to have an epic CT food experience.

I think I am more miserable now than I was when that lady closed the door on us.

The size of this grinder is obscene and requires a serious jaw workout to eat it. Delicious thin cutlets, awesome sauce, just delicious. True mom and pop place as the "dad" will often be cleaning plates while his daughter works the register and the oven. Cash only, just freaking outstanding. Pizza is pretty good too, but you go here for the chicken parm. You could seriously make about 4 sandwiches out of it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The size of this grinder is obscene and requires a serious jaw workout to eat it. Delicious thin cutlets, awesome sauce, just delicious. True mom and pop place as the "dad" will often be cleaning plates while his daughter works the register and the oven. Cash only, just freaking outstanding. Pizza is pretty good too, but you go here for the chicken parm. You could seriously make about 4 sandwiches out of it.
I'm not sure which I need less, another trip to Alpine Haus or a chicken parm that might require me to change the setting on my bindings. But I guarantee I will do both before the end of the month.

Reaction Score
I bring 10 whole chicken cutlet and meatball subs back to Florida from Wethersfield pizza and Frnklin grinder every time I visit! Which speaks volumes about either how good the food is in CT. or how bad the food is in FL. Probably both. You guys don't know how lucky you guys are , at least on this topic. The best meat balls in Ft. Myers are at subway. lol.
You live in Ft Myers? Me too. While we don't have the type of quality hot grinders CT does I think there are 4 or 5 good choices for cold cut subs. Publix makes some pretty damn good subs, along with Jersee Mike's and one or two other places. Would love to find a great chicken park around here though.

Reaction Score
A&S in Fairfield, Uncle's in Darien. I know I am a minority as a FC native but these needed some love.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Bennie's Farm Market in Essex used to make the best subs on the planet but they've really gone downhill since the original owners sold it and a new crew is running the show now. Nardelli's is pretty hard to beat too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A&S in Fairfield,
A&S is great at everything it does. I mostly consider it a meat market though. Gaetano's deserves mention too. I have only been to the original in Stratford--many times--but they are opening in Westport soon on the Post Road, near the Southport/Westport line. If you like A&S's grinders definitely check them out.

Speaking of Westport, Fortuna's is still solid imo.

Reaction Score
Bennie's Farm Market in Ess e x used to make the best subs on the planet but they've really gone downhill since the original owners sold it and a new crew is running the show now. Nardelli's is pretty hard to beat too.

Which Nardelli's is "the" one to go to? One just opened up in Cromwell but the reviews are essentially a nicer version of Subway...

Reaction Score
A&S is great at everything it does. I mostly consider it a meat market though. Gaetano's deserves mention too. I have only been to the original in Stratford--many times--but they are opening in Westport soon on the Post Road, near the Southport/Westport line. If you like A&S's grinders definitely check them out.

Speaking of Westport, Fortuna's is still solid imo.

Good call on Fortunas. I went there for the first time this summer and it definitely reminded me of A&S. Gaetanos in Monroe is just as solid as the original so I'm sure the Westport one will be great as well. Subs translate to branching off way better than pizza.

I work in Westport so I am constantly looking for the best lunch spots. Not only a sub place but Craft Butchery has been hard to beat for lunch.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Two others of note:

Papa's Pizza in Milford, "cone" grinders.

Skappo Merkato in New Haven, especially their "Assisi" ("Beef braised in a light tomato sauce until it falls apart, topped with provolone cheese") and Porchetta ("Pork loin braised with fennel, sliced thin, with fresh mozzarella and provolone cheese"). When I am getting on the train in New Haven for a trip to NYC, I usually bring one or the other; when I have company I bring both and we split them.

Reaction Score

Oh, and by the way? The minestrone is homemade and kick*ss.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh, and by the way? The minestrone is homemade and kick*ss.
Duly noted and added to the list. Thanks.

Oh, and by the way, the garden vegetable soup at Panera is not, and doesn't.

Reaction Score
I haven't lived in CT. for many years and at times I miss the state. What I usually miss the most is UConn basketball and the food, Connecticut is a great food state.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Nardelli's in naugatuck when im back.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Which Nardelli's is "the" one to go to? One just opened up in Cromwell but the reviews are essentially a nicer version of Subway...

I've never been to the one in Cromwell, but the Middletown one is pretty good. I'd say the best of the group is the one in Waterbury but the Middletown one is pretty underrated in my opinion. Get a prosciutto sub from there and it's a taste of heaven.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Another good Italian grinder place: Linos Market in Durham.
I don't know how I left them out. Not only are their grinders some of the best I've had, but they have a great bakery as well and specialty items you won't find anywhere else in CT.

Reaction Score
Best grinder ive ever had in ct was a steak n cheese from d`angelos which isnt saying much. The best grinder ive ever had was a cuban sandwich when i was out in the bronx. Absolutely amazing!

Reaction Score
I grew up on Grinders in CT but never saw the term elsewhere. Wedges (Stamford), hoagies and subs all over. In VA, where I live now, Subs is the term. However in a small town near Salem (Troutville) I came across a small Pizza and GRINDER shop. Very good Pizza and Grinders! I should have asked if the owner was from CT.

Reaction Score
H & M Pizza and Grinders in Windsor Locks - huge and tasty grinders!!

Reaction Score
Good call on Fortunas. I went there for the first time this summer and it definitely reminded me of A&S. Gaetanos in Monroe is just as solid as the original so I'm sure the Westport one will be great as well. Subs translate to branching off way better than pizza.

I work in Westport so I am constantly looking for the best lunch spots. Not only a sub place but Craft Butchery has been hard to beat for lunch.

Craft is awesome. Give Art's a try on the post road. I used to love Fortunas but not a big fan anymore.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm trying to remember how old I was when I heard the word "grinder". Always a sub to us. Hoagie I first heard at UCONN.

Forbes Ave. Market was the best in New Haven. No longer exists but the small grocery store had customers lined up from the deli counter in the back all the way out the door at lunch time.
Best I've had since is that little Italian Market in Durham of all places: Lino's

Good Italian bread, good ingredients and lots of them is what does it.

Reaction Score
Good call on Lino's David I completely forgot.......my buddy just had a party catered by them and they're subs are out of this world. He brings them with us when we go to Rhody a lot to play 36 holes in a day to be sure we have a solid base......excellent stuff!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom