OT: - Best grinder in CT. | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: Best grinder in CT.

Reaction Score
Harvest Country Store on Oakwood Ave. Get some subs and craft beers and have a picnic.

LOL today was the day to do that and not go back. Perfect sandwich and craft beer day!

Reaction Score
Steve's (Rocky Hill) is awful and the most expensive takeout sandwich I can recall ever having. An average tuna was like $9 and it was awful with almost no tuna on it.

How come if someone said "Steve's is pretty good.." and I knew you were going to reply I would have guessed it verbatim relative to this?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Claudia's in Farmington-known for chicken cutlet grinders.

Reaction Score
I posted this in the pizza thread and I'm posting here. Stars & Stripes Grinder in Middletown will now have pizza added to their menu. Gas line going in shortly for the oven, but no target date yet.

Reaction Score
Was down from Mass for a baseball tournament at the CT Sportsplex in North Branford. Went to Pacileos Apizza and Pasta between games and had one of the best chicken parm grinders I have had in a long time. Ordered one to go for the ride home the next day.

Reaction Score
Was down from Mass for a baseball tournament at the CT Sportsplex in North Branford. Went to Pacileos Apizza and Pasta between games and had one of the best chicken parm grinders I have had in a long time. Ordered one to go for the ride home the next day.
Is it just me or does Mass. have nothing like some of these chicken parm grinders in CT? I live in the Boston area and I can't find any great chicken parm subs. I took my kids to Maple Giant Grinder and Wethersfield Pizza House for chicken parm grinders and now they keep asking me why we have nothing like that near us. They also ask all the time why our pizza stinks up here compared to CT (although the Pepe's in Chestnut Hill is good enough to scratch that itch). So any chicken parm suggestions in the Boston area (we live in metrowest which is pretty much a food wasteland!).

Reaction Score
Is it just me or does Mass. have nothing like some of these chicken parm grinders in CT? I live in the Boston area and I can't find any great chicken parm subs. I took my kids to Maple Giant Grinder and Wethersfield Pizza House for chicken parm grinders and now they keep asking me why we have nothing like that near us. They also ask all the time why our pizza stinks up here compared to CT (although the Pepe's in Chestnut Hill is good enough to scratch that itch). So any chicken parm suggestions in the Boston area (we live in metrowest which is pretty much a food wasteland!).
Try living in Florida if you want some really bad food! I ordered a Reuben from a deli and got cold corned beef lettuce tomato and mayo on a sub roll ... LOL

Reaction Score

I am a South Shore guy and the best chicken parm sandwich or dinner locally for us is at Polcari's Bridgeway Inn in Marshfield near Humarock. They also have a palce in the North End. It is worth the trip.

But to your point, I grew up in North Jersey and the subs and pizza up in Mass is nothing compared to what I am used to.

Reaction Score
Go there and provide us your review. Place is an overpriced ripoff.

How come if someone said "Steve's is pretty good.." and I knew you were going to reply I would have guessed it verbatim relative to this?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Try living in Florida if you want some really bad food! I ordered a Reuben from a deli and got cold corned beef lettuce tomato and mayo on a sub roll ... LOL

For that in Florida you got to go where the jews are. So to be more specific, Boca.

There's good deli in boca

Reaction Score
For that in Florida you got to go where the jews are. So to be more specific, Boca.

There's good deli in boca
Ft Myers... englunds deli... won sub shop of the year 9 years in a row and counting. I showed the owner a pic of franklin giant grinder and the chicken parm from Wethersfield pizza and I got a " your shatting me... really ... wow.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A better question is who orders a tuna sandwich and expects it to be good?

Reaction Score
soo.... I've been debating for a long time as to whether or not I should drop the mike on this thread and shut it down permanently, because there is no debate as to the best sandwich in CT. The issue is regretting letting the secret out seeing as if you get there after 12:30 it's completely sold out and I have left pizzed off several times.
However.... Since it's the New Year, I am in a giving mood, mostly because both the Bball and FB Boards are in a state of dissaray and total meltdown.. Here it is! The best sandwich is the prime rib roast sandwich at Walts in Old Saybrook hands down! It's still going to be hot when you eat it but don't wait longer than your car because the juice will decintegrate the freshly baked roll after 5 mins. You will need several napkins and I could eat 2 if given the chance.

Reaction Score
Yes! I was waiting for more mentions of the SE Shoreline. Guilford was mentioned, now old Saybrook. I grew up in old Lyme and got a great sub but it has been 13 or 14 years and the name escapes me. Perhaps someone can help, if the place is even open still. Now let's see More SE CT, less Fairfield County here, haha! I kid.

Reaction Score

The Italian Groceria in Medfield is ok, which is about as good as I have found in Metro West area.

Reaction Score
The Italian Groceria in Medfield is ok, which is about as good as I have found in Metro West area.

Stand corrected. Forgot about Dominic's in Waltham. It is actually pretty good.

Reaction Score
Claudia's in Farmington-known for chicken cutlet grinders.
Tried these based on this board and was not impressed. Multiple very thin slices of chicken with more breading than meat. Very oversized price. First and Last and Joey Garlics both make better ones that are priced better IMO.

Reaction Score
I've been a fan of Franklin Giant's beef cutlet grinders since I lived on Roxbury Street back in the 90s. Was there last summer and they were as good as ever.

Last week I had a Canadian Mountie from George's in Unionville that was killer. Breaded chicken cutlet, bacon, ham, lettuce, tomato and mayo. Highly recommend it!

Reaction Score
Someone asked for a great grinder/Italian restaurant in Florida, give Rocco's Pizza in Spring Hill, Florida a try (just north of Tampa). It's not just a great grinder but the food will remind you of what you're used to back in the northeast. p.s. ask for Rob, the owner, a great guy!

Reaction Score
It's been well documented that pizza is better in the New Haven area than Hartford.

But, in my experience, grinders are better in Hartford than in New Haven and they're significantly better than in Fairfield County.

Has this been the experience that others have had too?

Do you FC people even call them grinders?

Reaction Score
It's been well documented that pizza is better in the New Haven area than Hartford.

But, in my experience, grinders are better in Hartford than in New Haven and they're significantly better than in Fairfield County.

Has this been the experience that others have had too?

Do you FC people even call them grinders?

Just off the top of my head:

Corner Grinder
Maple
Franklin Ave
First and Last
Roma's in East Hartford
Angelo's in Glastonbury

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics