Best Dive Bars | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Best Dive Bars

Reaction Score
RIP El Chapultepec in Denver. One of the finest jazz bars I’ve ever been too.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
The Spigot in Hartford.
Two summers ago I was finishing a degree and had night classes in Hartford 4 nights week. We hit the Spig after class for like a month straight. Loved the beer cooler/dart set up. It was also bring your own food. Saw some funny stuff going on in there - random girl flashing people, some kid openly sniffing coke, some dude posted up with his laptop watching cartoons for like 3 hours straight. And the mix of people was so random. It also seemed to have a super regular group of guys watching Yankee games. Man I miss those nights. Mind you, I had class Mon-Th. night...I can only imagine the weekends !

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Stratford Ale house

The Beachcomber (Milford) sadly closed
Loved beachcomber. Ditto the long gone (baked) Apple.

I will put the (still open) Windmill in Stratford on the list as well.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Come visit and judge for yourself. If you leave bar at night and walk through vomit and see some left behind underwear, it's a good start.
Old Fort on Prospect St in Bristol. Often had water leaking from toilets and urinals which was mitigated by placing skids all around on the floor.

Reaction Score
I used to play in a morning modified softball league and our team was sponsored by Volpe's Cafe on New Britain Avenue. I wouldn't call this place a dive although they used to make a drink called the Mafioso Slammer which was layered sambuco, galliano and anise. RIP Rico, great guy and bartender.

Other teams in the league were Alpine Cafe and Brother Bones which would be considered dive bars. I remember men peddling leather coats at Brother Bones. The Walk In was around the corner from Volpe's and was a dive as well.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It was mentioned right at the start, The Federal Cafe in Hartford, the oldest bar in Hartford.
Also, a place that closed years ago but was a classic in the 1970's > 90's, the Peter Pan Cafe on Park Rd. in West Hartford.
Place didn’t have toilet seats! That’s divey!

Reaction Score
It was mentioned right at the start, The Federal Cafe in Hartford, the oldest bar in Hartford.
Also, a place that closed years ago but was a classic in the 1970's > 90's, the Peter Pan Cafe on Park Rd. in West Hartford.
Hey Alex, how about Moynihan's Pub in Worcester? :) I just looked it up and was sad to see it closed this past year and is being made into a restaurant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
run by John Calcaterra, local football star (Purdue, Giants) as was his father and his son (Trinity)

Reaction Score
Lenny was a great guy, I grew up in Wally and in the 90’s would hang at Lenny’s with Todd T. bartending. I also played softball for the Corner Cafe, mid 90’s

Played town league hoops in the 80s for Main St (most recently Archie Moore’s I believe?) in Wally and hung out a lot in the 90s at Courtside across the street. Watched many a UConn game there actually. Played lots of baseball in the 70s80s with Wally kids some good friends. Great town!!!

Reaction Score
run by John Calcaterra, local football star (Purdue, Giants) as was his father and his son (Trinity)
Yep. I went to Conard high school in the late 70's/early 80's with John C. III.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
A couple that haven’t been mentioned yet.

The Maple. Maple Ave in Hartford near Goodwin Park.

The Nutshell. Right up the road on White St.
Wow, I forgot about The Maple. Yep.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I've got to put in a mention for El Rancho ("the ranch") here in podunk Colorado. You can order food from the greasepit diner 2 doors over and they actually walk the food up the sidewalk. It's a block from my office, and pre-covid, it wasn't unusual to see guys at the bar with some eggs and a beer at 8 am.

If any BYers ever take a wrong turn in Albuquerque and end up in SW CO, I'll buy you a round or two at the ranch.

It's in a 1900'ish brick building. Mural on the side:

AR-130729516.jpg

Last edited:

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Gahan’s and The Horse, Waterbury, CT. I mean it’s Waterbury?!?! Lolol.
The Andrea Bar and Hotel, Misquamicut Beach, Rhode Island.
Had my first bar beer at Gahan’s at 17 years old and spent a ton of time at The Horse. Ill also throw into the mix the Outside Inn and the AOH while in Waterbury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom