Best Dive Bars | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Best Dive Bars

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Growing up in Norwalk, my first experiences with dive bars are in that area. There was a place called Larosas, in East Norwalk right by the train tracks and the sewer plant. You could feel the place shake when the express trains went by and in the summer, the aroma was less than ideal. That said, it was packed with 16-26 year olds. Plus some old drunks. Not very many women, if any. But it was fun, friendly and safe. People were there to get drunk and it was always Mission Accomplished. I can remember being a regular there when Saturday Night Live first broke through. This raucous bar would go quiet as scores of drunks from both rooms crowded to watch the single small TV that was over the bar. If you talked other than to laugh, you were quickly told to shut up of leave.
Follow the road a ways, over the draw bridge into what is now called SoNo. Then it was just South Norwalk. Ever been to Donovan's on the corner as you enter SoNo? Very trendy. I'm sure the millennials love it. Back then it was called Bat's Shanty. It was as much of a dive as could be. The boxer pictures that are now neatly arranged on the walls, were all over the place, crooked and filthy. In fact, the entire place was filthy. Bucky, the bartender most nights, was known to pass out on a mattress that was actually on the floor behind the bar. No problem, though, you could just reach over and pour yourself another draft. Most of us left the appropriate payment. A mix of kids and old drunks. For some reason, a number of mailmen and retired railroad workers. too. As a kid it was a blast. If you were one of the regulars there as an adult, you probably led a pretty dull life.
At some point in the 80s, that little strip mall on the east side of the bridge from Donovan's was home to an embarrassingly bad strip club. We were fairly regular Donovan's customers (great chili at the time and not very crowded back then). Occasionally we'd stop in at the strip joint, which in retrospect, may not have actually been a strip joint as the "talent" wasn't very talented, there wasn't much of a stage, and for the most part the girls/women looked like they came from the Valley and all of them seemed to own cheap cotton panties and mismatched bras, so it might've simply been an ongoing amateur night for really drunk townies. It was amusing though. Cannot recall the name of the place and IIRC, it didn't last all that long.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
At some point in the 80s, that little strip mall on the east side of the bridge from Donovan's was home to an embarrassingly bad strip club. We were fairly regular Donovan's customers (great chili at the time and not very crowded back then). Occasionally we'd stop in at the strip joint, which in retrospect, may not have actually been a strip joint as the "talent" wasn't very talented, there wasn't much of a stage, and for the most part the girls/women looked like they came from the Valley and all of them seemed to own cheap cotton panties and mismatched bras, so it might've simply been an ongoing amateur night for really drunk townies. It was amusing though. Cannot recall the name of the place and IIRC, it didn't last all that long.
Its been shut down for a few years but in it's last iteration was "The Office". Most perfect name for a gentleman's club ever ("Honey, I'll be home a little late, I'm still at the Office") Not withstanding mention of the late, great Zebra Club in Norwalk which technically wasn't a dive bar because it didn't have a liquor license :cool:;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you ever went to Toad's when there wasn't great live music, that was epic dive.

Back in the day, there were a bunch of great dive bars in New Haven.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember listening to bands at Carrie Nation's long ago and getting to keep the glasses from LI Iced Teas. My memories are fuzzy but I don't think I would call it a dive. Was that near the phone company on Main Street in Manchester?
Right, they demolished the building to make the corner bigger. It was divey for sure. But the real dive is where we went after 3 gallons of ice tea, The Brass Hammer (now the Hungry Tiger).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Its been shut down for a few years but in it's last iteration was "The Office". Most perfect name for a gentleman's club ever ("Honey, I'll be home a little late, I'm still at the Office") Not withstanding mention of the late, great Zebra Club in Norwalk which technically wasn't a dive bar because it didn't have a liquor license :cool:;)
Was that open at the same time as The Office in Darien, which was actually a pretty nice bar? Because that could've been confusing.

Reaction Score
I used to go to another dive called The Office at Lowry Place in Newington. But the first dive I went to when I was 18 was Sean’s on Newington Road near Balf quarry. We used to go to Dynamite Shack as well which was in the Shoprite plaza. That is where Data Mail is now.

Reaction Score
Grew up in Meriden home of the dives!!
Ahhh yes one on every corner back in the day. Steamed clams and Monday night football @ Milners comes to mind. Hard to shoot pool in such a small venue due to area and eyes watering from cigarette smoke.

Any good dive bar won't be happy if someone tells them they made this thread.
The one's I patronized would have considered it a badge of honor! ;)

A couple previously mentioned Raffalas, The Red Dog Saloon, Rovers Lodge, Fireside, all classics in their own way. There was one across the lake from Rovers the name escapes me because it was never used, commonly known as The Bucket of Blood, The Bucket for short.
One I have not seen mentioned here is Shanks that was on the water in Clinton. Great bar food and best lobster on rye ever. An open air bar in the summer, opened year round where many fishing boats were docked right in front. Thus possibly the reason for the large homemade sign over the bar. They had many, simply magic marker on cardboard.

EAT AT SHANKS 400,000 FLIES CAN'T BE WRONG!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Checkered Flag in Indianapolis
Old Colony in Provincetown, MA
I’ve been to Old Colony! Got bent there once and went and did karaoke across the street with some drag queens. Love Provincetown. Can’t wait to get back. It takes an open and accepting mind to have a blast up there, but if you’re open and accepting, what a party! Also lots of great bars/restaurants/beaches.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Popular? Mayos?

Did you play flag football or setback at Mayos?

Mayo’s on ladies night was really solid Willie. Worked in Waterbury for a while so somehow found out about it had a few Meriden guys heading up there in the 80s. Actually watched the West Virginia win in the NIT championship year at mayo’s.

Reaction Score
Hardhat cafe in north haven.

Although recent remodel doesn't make it seem like a dive

Hard Hat actually had great lunches back in the day also, great spot in the 80s on that dead end. Old Broadway just around the corner not bad either.

Reaction Score
Can't talk Meriden without mentioning The Spot. It died back in the mid 70's but was epic.

The Spot on the east side, you weren’t going just to drink if you were heading to this place that’s for sure lol. Classic Meriden dive!!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I remember listening to bands at Carrie Nation's long ago and getting to keep the glasses from LI Iced Teas. My memories are fuzzy but I don't think I would call it a dive. Was that near the phone company on Main Street in Manchester?
I have about a dozen of those huge glasses somewhere in my house/attic/basement
Knew the guy who played drums for Hot Head Slater - they played at the Nation a lot

Reaction Score
Two strip clubs, seedy dives definitely. The Venus Club on Main St. East Hartford, and Teasers which was on Capitol Ave in Hartford. B.C,s Pub on Saybrook Rd in Middletown CT which was formerly the strip club Reflections. @mauconnfan , in Meriden, West Main St, heading west, just past Lewis Ave, also just past a little one way on the right called Morgan St which cut thru to Pine St where I used to live, I digress, back to West Main, right in this area there was a real dump on the left hand side across from the old Shop Rite that was tucked in there on the right. Do you remember the name of this place? It was there in the late 80s, it's probably still there.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’ve been to Old Colony! Got bent there once and went and did karaoke across the street with some drag queens. Love Provincetown. Can’t wait to get back. It takes an open and accepting mind to have a blast up there, but if you’re open and accepting, what a party! Also lots of great bars/restaurants/beaches.
If you want a challenge, try the piano bar at the Marriott Tremont Hotel in the Theatre District in Boston. There you get a snarky piano player for accompaniment, and you have to know the lyrics to your show tunes as there's no prompter. The clientele can be rather unforgiving of a poor performance.

Reaction Score
Two strip clubs, seedy dives definitely. The Venus Club on Main St. East Hartford, and Teasers which was on Capitol Ave in Hartford. B.C,s Pub on Saybrook Rd in Middletown CT which was formerly the strip club Reflections. @mauconnfan , in Meriden, West Main St, heading west, just past Lewis Ave, also just past a little one way on the right called Morgan St which cut thru to Pine St where I used to live, I digress, back to West Main, right in this area there was a real dump on the left hand side across from the old Shop Rite that was tucked in there on the right. Do you remember the name of this place? It was there in the late 80s, it's probably still there.
Across from Shop Rite sort of, not a strip joint that I know of, was the Moulin Rouge. The Shamrock on West Main just short of Hubbard Park turned into a strip joint in the 80s and I forget the name now? I know it later turned into Maloney’s.

Speaking of strip joints the Berlin Turnpike had some quick stops right up the road from Meriden and dives they were! The Speak Easy on the right heading north and 2 others one being The Kitchen further up on the south side across from what was then Northeast Utilities. A little further south same side, the name escapes me was yet another think it started with a C? These were good for the occasional bar hop for laughs or who knows. Quick story on the one I can’t remember the name of heading back from a Greater Hartford Twilight League baseball game a few of us stopped for a quick one (beer lol) and one dancer looked familiar. She came over to let me know she was very upset I didn’t remember her because she had a crush on me in HS.. turns out she was a sophomore on the girls hoops team when I was a senior, we shared the gym quite often but I promise I don’t remember this grown up girl 5-6 years later or she hid it well lol. We caught up though!

Reaction Score
Place in Ansonia, I think it’s JRB’s, has a tiled bar rail/trough that runs the length of the bar. Water would run from one end and the factory workers would pee while sitting at the bar. The pipe is now capped off but it still exists.
Fells Point in Baltimore has a couple of old Trough bars. LOL

Reaction Score
Hard Hat actually had great lunches back in the day also, great spot in the 80s on that dead end. Old Broadway just around the corner not bad either.
They still do. Have great wings also

Reaction Score
Across from Shop Rite sort of, not a strip joint that I know of, was the Moulin Rouge. The Shamrock on West Main just short of Hubbard Park turned into a strip joint in the 80s and I forget the name now? I know it later turned into Maloney’s.

Speaking of strip joints the Berlin Turnpike had some quick stops right up the road from Meriden and dives they were! The Speak Easy on the right heading north and 2 others one being The Kitchen further up on the south side across from what was then Northeast Utilities. A little further south same side, the name escapes me was yet another think it started with a C? These were good for the occasional bar hop for laughs or who knows. Quick story on the one I can’t remember the name of heading back from a Greater Hartford Twilight League baseball game a few of us stopped for a quick one (beer lol) and one dancer looked familiar. She came over to let me know she was very upset I didn’t remember her because she had a crush on me in HS.. turns out she was a sophomore on the girls hoops team when I was a senior, we shared the gym quite often but I promise I don’t remember this grown up girl 5-6 years later or she hid it well lol. We caught up though!
This is a subject that I am familiar with. The Culinary is probably what you are thinking of. There was also a very small place called Mario's near the overpass of Wells Road.

Reaction Score
The Venus was the seediest place of all. I believe that Teasers was originally Cousin Dave's when it was affiliated with Uncle Al's on the service road.

Reaction Score
This is a subject that I am familiar with. The Culinary is probably what you are thinking of. There was also a very small place called Mario's near the overpass of Wells Road.

What you're calling Mario's used to be the Torch Light. Culinary and Centerfold's down into Berlin. Then there was Dealer's Choice on Wethersfield Ave. They let me and my friends in there when we were 17 and no ID's. I think the dancer had a bullet hole or stab wound in her lower back.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

oh man - this jogged my memory - anyone go to the Wild Irish Rose in Derby? Probably only time i laughed at a "dancer"

Reaction Score
What you're calling Mario's used to be the Torch Light. Culinary and Centerfold's down into Berlin. Then there was Dealer's Choice on Wethersfield Ave. They let me and my friends in there when we were 17 and no ID's. I think the dancer had a bullet hole or stab wound in her lower back.
I have fond memories of the DC. We used to go there prior to softball games at Colt's park. A childhood buddy had the mirror ball from Dealer's Choice after it closed. We also went there after a stag and the groom ended up with a black eye after getting punched by the bouncer. His eye was still colorful for the wedding. Centerfold's was the club formally called Speak Easy. It is now a restaurant. Another club from the past was Helton's which was near New Park and Flatbush Avenue in Hartford.

Reaction Score

That's it! The Moulin Rouge, Jesus, and to top it off I got kicked out of this dump once for being excessively wild. I remember that strip club too, down on the left side of the curve before Hubbard Park. I'm pretty sure that was run by some biker club.
The Venus was the seediest place of all. I believe that Teasers was originally Cousin Dave's when it was affiliated with Uncle Al's on the service road.
Yes! That place was seeeedyyyy, and dark in there, it had a certain special, kind of dirty ambience. Another dive was the Willow, right across from the East Hartford Pratt & Whitney entrance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom