Best Dive Bars | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Best Dive Bars

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bingo was a pretty solid pizza place besides a bar. Kind of rivaled Verdolinis of Meriden in the pizza world but was not as good or that close. Better bar though!
Reminds me of Wish's in East Hartford. Mostly a bar, but the pizza was pretty good even though it was cheap. A small 1-item was 3 bucks, enough for 2. With 50 cent drafts you could do an afternoon for $5.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of Wish's in East Hartford. Mostly a bar, but the pizza was pretty good even though it was cheap. A small 1-item was 3 bucks, enough for 2. With 50 cent drafts you could do an afternoon for $5.
When I worked at Travelers we went to Wish’s often for team lunches. Cheap pizza and beer. I remember a mark in the glass that looked like a bullet hole. It might have been.

Reaction Score
Been to Florabama right on the FL AL border many times.. On Sunday they had church service in the main bar room. Bar was open. Get a beer and praise the Lord! Best dive bar in the US.

Reaction Score
Been to Florabama right on the FL AL border many times.. On Sunday they had church service in the main bar room. Bar was open. Get a beer and praise the Lord! Best dive bar in the US.
Yahoo.

Reaction Score
Way back in the day, at Ohio State--The Travel Agency, Blue Danube, Fred's, Don's.
At Purdue-- The Long Rifle, Bob & Jean's.
Mystic--John's Cafe(RIP), The German Club.
Wallingford--Shalimar(I learned to bartender there)
Annapolis--Marmaduke's; my husband had a gun pulled on him because he had long hair. The sign behind the bar said" We don't serve hippies or men who wear hats".
St. Michael's, MD--C Street Saloon; they even had a van that would shuttle you home.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
oh man - this jogged my memory - anyone go to the Wild Irish Rose in Derby? Probably only time i laughed at a "dancer"

Sounds like either of the old Crazy Vin's locations from back in the day. New Milford girls were slightly scarier than the Danbury ones.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember Rosal's? It was on 195 and close to RT 44 I believe. I am going back to the late 70's for this one. They used to have Hurricane specials and I believe a bus back to campus.

I found this link that mentions a few other bars that I do not remember. I believe that Hooligans is where Schmedley's and Pub 32 was. I do not remember Thumpers but this may have been the same location as Rosal's.

Reaction Score
CJ Sparrows in Cheshire, CT, and the Hard Hat Cafe in North Haven, CT. Great food at both places where you would not expect to get great food. Try Doob's Wings at the Hat and any burger at Sparrows.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember Rosal's? It was on 195 and close to RT 44 I believe. I am going back to the late 70's for this one. They used to have Hurricane specials and I believe a bus back to campus.

I found this link that mentions a few other bars that I do not remember. I believe that Hooligans is where Schmedley's and Pub 32 was. I do not remember Thumpers but this may have been the same location as Rosal's.
Yes, Rosal's was around in mid-80's. I can't recall if it was the exact same location that became Thumpers and then later (or before) Talk of the Town but there was definitely a sequence of mediocre dance hall type bars.

One of them had a Tuesday night drink special, maybe nickel night or 10 cent well drinks and then Sunday night movie night which begat a pretty bad semester, going out 5-ish nights per week. Also of that era .99 pitchers at Rapp's from 3-4, then $2 from 4-5 was definitely the best 2 hours of the week.
Luckily college was REALLY cheap back then!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes, Rosal's was around in mid-80's. I can't recall if it was the exact same location that became Thumpers and then later (or before) Talk of the Town but there was definitely a sequence of mediocre dance hall type bars.
Husky Blues was one name I think.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Caught the tail end of Ft Lauderdale spring break heyday in late 80's and the Elbow Room there felt familiar to Ted's with sticky floor & god awful smelling bathrooms.
In today's New York Post "People waiting to get into a Fort Lauderdale bar as the state of Florida reported another 10,603 COVID-19 cases Sunday, the eighth consecutive day with an average of 11,000-plus new cases per day."

Fort-Lauderdale-Beach-Crowd-GV-4.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Husky Blues was one name I think.
Wasn't Husky Blues the live music venue that opened up like twenty years ago, closer to campus, near where Storrs Commons is now? Saw a few shows there iirc; don't recall what was in that spot in the 80s.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
In today's New York Post "People waiting to get into a Fort Lauderdale bar as the state of Florida reported another 10,603 COVID-19 cases Sunday, the eighth consecutive day with an average of 11,000-plus new cases per day."

View attachment 63188
Can we reroute all planes coming from Florida already?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Kinda like Italian Gardens in Willi. One time we actually measured the pitchers and realized that the $2.50 pitcher only contained 9 (juice) glasses of beer, whereas beers were only a quarter, so we'd order by the glass to save a quarter, lol.

I'm also old enough to remember when The Colony was a cop bar/pizza place (IIRC, only five toppings available) and the average customer age was 50-ish (and average liver age in the 70s).

Reaction Score
Kinda like Italian Gardens in Willi. One time we actually measured the pitchers and realized that the $2.50 pitcher only contained 9 (juice) glasses of beer, whereas beers were only a quarter, so we'd order by the glass to save a quarter, lol.

I'm also old enough to remember when The Colony was a cop bar/pizza place (IIRC, only five toppings available) and the average customer age was 50-ish (and average liver age in the 70s).

The Blarney in Willi was great back in the day!

Reaction Score
I forget what the special was but I was 100% at that place one day a week.

Went there for the first time after playing a couple baseball games in the Norwich Tourney late summer at ECSU around ‘79-‘80 the shot special was Alabama Slammers I do remember doing quite a few lol. Liked the place good stop made sure to swing in when in Willi.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Husky Blues the live music venue that opened up like twenty years ago, closer to campus, near where Storrs Commons is now? Saw a few shows there iirc; don't recall what was in that spot in the 80s.
I remember Husky Blues near Storrs Commons as well. It was the lower level around back. Bands like Max Creek played there from '95 until 2001. I googled and found the address was 1254 Storrs Road (Route 195).

Reaction Score
Anyone know when Husky Blues closed? I feel like it may have been open when I started in 2003, but I definitely never went there during my tenure. I know for sure it was gone by the time I turned 21.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did the Arby's bag on the stool in front of him give that away 8893?
Nah, I already knew him by then. IIRC it was with his old, old band, which is how I first met him in the early 90s.

It wasn't until like ten years ago that we made the connection that we knew each other independently through this board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom