Best Dive Bars | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Dive Bars

Reaction Score
I remember nickel night for drafts at the Keg House in New Haven.
We used to go to the Fed and Lord Jim’s across from the Civic Center using the sidewalk bridge. We were regulars there so they placed reserve signs on the tables for UConn tournament games. They ran out of Crown Royal so we brought it in one day.

Reaction Score
People here have a very different idea of what a dive bar is.

But, Rudy's in New Haven (gone), Palais Royale (Albany), Bug Jar (Rochester), Essex St Pub, Electric Avenue, The Old Pink (Buffalo), Pour House, Father's, Silhouette Lounge, the Dugout (Boston), Wickenden Pub (Providence) etc

Reaction Score
Phil Hughes, The Bravest, Reifs, International Bar NYC
Nina’s - Gouverneur, NY
Maple on the Lake - East Berne, NY
Club Deuce - Miami (used to be im sure its been properly sanitized by now)
Mo Club - Missoula, MT
Excelsior Pub & Palais Royale - Albany, NY
VFW - Chatham, MA
Kellys Grill - Middleburgh, NY
Glass Bar - Schoharie, NY
Walkers - Greensboro (likely sanitized now)

Sadly Franks Living Room and the Griffin in Albany, NY are gone

Reaction Score
Club Deuce - Miami (used to be im sure its been properly sanitized by now.
The Deuce. Great place. I was there pre covid just once. I will go back again. Add The Abbey to this list in Miami. Pretty much all my watering holes pre covid were dives in the Hollywood, FL area. Now, my balcony is not!

Reaction Score
I don't know if it qualifies: The Groggy Frog in Southington. Many locals won't go there because of its history as a biker hangout back in the day. It's a treasure. Great burgers, dog , & Wings. Televisions all over the place tuned to all of the sports channels. Live entertainment at night. AND PUDDING SHOTS!

Reaction Score
Nine Brothers Tavern in my youth. Places with a tavern license could not serve liquor but they had some under the counter. Only one beer on tap and didn’t clean the lines often.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Library Lounge in New London.

Reaction Score
Uncle Krankeys in Jewett City, lots of bikers in the summer kool seeing all those Harleys parked out front. I pop in once in a while a mingle with the guys and girls plus the absolute best ever onion rings. Some kind of beer batted and other god knows what ingredients.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Burn's Tavern, Stamford
Ernie's, Darien
Bruce Park Grill, Greenwich
Unfortunately, there are none left in Norwalk that I can safely walk into :-(

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Back in the 90's there was a place called Eli's in Fairfield near Bridgeport. A total scalitohole, but I had a lot of fun there. Sea Grape in Fairfield was also so disgusting back in the 90's that I would have been shocked if it got mopped once a month, but brought in a lot of local hotties giving it way too high a female/male ratio to really qualify as a dive bar.

Tuxedo Junction was the strangest club I have ever been to. Every time I have been there was a blast, and also almost ended up with my crew in a brawl.
Ah the Grape! Back in college I’d go there Tuesday nights, Thursday nights, and more often then not Fri thru Sunday.

They cleaned it up a little bit but it’s still grimy.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't know if it qualifies: The Groggy Frog in Southington. Many locals won't go there because of its history as a biker hangout back in the day. It's a treasure. Great burgers, dog , & Wings. Televisions all over the place tuned to all of the sports channels. Live entertainment at night. AND PUDDING SHOTS!
Ask for the mystery shots behind the bar. They concoct some random mixture of booze and usually sit on the shelf for months until someone like me orders them.

Place gets grimy but if were talking dive bars in Southington go no further than Hydeaway Cafe. And Jersey Joes. The Joe is an absolute trip.

Reaction Score
On campus, I was a fan of the short-lived Tequila Cove on 195. Only bar on campus that didn't charge and cover and only bar that had a semblance of an actual bar. As a legally-aged senior, it was an easy walk from Whitney and I particularly loved their $4 40s Wednesdays. It was also the only bar on campus I can recall that had tap takeovers from local breweries.

Back in my early- to mid-20s, I loved Alibi in Fort Greene, NY.

Probably the purest "dive bar" I frequented regularly: cheap, but liberally poured drinks, a diverse "come as you are" clientele, great personable staff. Most importantly, and especially rare in NYC: no pretension whatsoever.

The last time I went there, the entire bar was glued to their one small TV watching the Fierce Five kick butt in the '12 Olympics and everyone was losing their minds.

Locally, I loved and miss Jimmy's Seaside/Seaside Tavern. In high school and college, my band played there about a dozen times and we grew enough of a rapport with the owners that we basically given free reign to show up in any side project our members came up with. One favorite in particular was a one-night only gig as "Party at the Moon Tower" which was basically our original five-piece band with five added guitarists of random friends of ours. Once our band fizzled out, Seaside was also a fun place for their weekday open blues jams.

While FTC is amazing and Capitol Theatre is excellent, Seaside and Acoustic Cafe were the last local music bars in now an extinct Fairfield County local music scene. Too bad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Burn's Tavern, Stamford
Ernie's, Darien
Bruce Park Grill, Greenwich
Unfortunately, there are none left in Norwalk that I can safely walk into :-(
I get my haircut next door to Burn’s. I’ll be sure to grab a beer next time, never been inside. Through the glass, it sure looks divey.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thanks for not limiting this to CT for a change. My favorite haunt back in the mid 90s was Jerry’s Bait Shop, Lenexa, KS. Live music, decent pub food. I lived only about 5 minutes away, and I didn’t realize at first that it wasn’t an actual bait shop.

Reaction Score
Thanks for not limiting this to CT for a change. My favorite haunt back in the mid 90s was Jerry’s Bait Shop, Lenexa, KS. Live music, decent pub food. I lived only about 5 minutes away, and I didn’t realize at first that it wasn’t an actual bait shop.

Weird, my first plane ride was to visit my grandparents and cousins in Lenexa. However, at age 7, my fake ID wouldn't have worked, but I can claim that my first trips to Arby's were on that trip.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom