Benedict Sticks with Edsall -Craps on Players | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Benedict Sticks with Edsall -Craps on Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

that is nothing new. Easy majors and classes created for athletes to take is nothing new in campuses across the country.
You miss the point, the more recent trend is online testing. You can use your imagination regarding who might be taking these online tests at various schools. Chief was being a little intentionally vague as to not accuse particular schools since I don’t have documented proof.

Reaction Score
Keep reading:
“When people ask those kinds of questions, it begs, do you understand what’s really going on here?" he said. "Do you think you could bring in some magical coach and he could win? A lot of competing at this level is about the individuals on the field. Talent actually matters.”
That's what you consider crapping on players? This place is so soft.

“I was excited today because we had an opportunity to win this game," he said. "It was disappointing that we weren’t able to pull it out, mostly for those kids in that locker room, but we made some progress today even though there wasn’t a W at the end of the day.”

In full context. Looking at the roster and all of his comments. It's ridiculous to call this crapping on players.

He's right. Talent actually matters. UConn is a developmental program. Opinions can differ on how much time Edsall deserves (I don't care if they fire him and the rest of the staff today), but Benedict is right about those two things. The youth on the roster needs time to develop so that we can compete. The coaches also need to better in all aspects of their jobs so that we can compete. Benedict didn't say it was one or the other, but Boneyard is gonna Boneyard.

People who disagree should argue why he's wrong rather than creating this false narrative that he's crapping on the players.

Reaction Score
Saying it’s talent has nothing to do with time/development. I also agree, the coach is responsible for bringing in talent.
I know you're a casual fan, so let me help you out here.

Talent, time and development go hand in hand. If your talent is limited, your development will be similarly limited.

More talent = higher ceiling = less time needed to develop = greater impact earlier in career
Less talent = lower ceiling = more time needed to develop = greater impact later in their career.

When the AD references talent, patience, and the fact UConn is a developmental program, it can be tough for you casual fans to understand the full context.

So, once again, you're wrong, but you're welcome.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry, disagree. If you own the title, you own the responsibility for getting the message right and leading. Not a single one of them deserve an iota of a benefit of the doubt. That’s been done for 10 years with miserable results. I have no agenda other than holding these people to accountability for results.
You changed his message to suit your strawman to allow you to "hold them accountable". Your "summary" is closer to a fabrication. It's certainly taken out of context.

Reaction Score
Sorry, disagree. If you own the title, you own the responsibility for getting the message right and leading. Not a single one of them deserve an iota of a benefit of the doubt. That’s been done for 10 years with miserable results. I have no agenda other than holding these people to accountability for results.

This obviously ain’t easy. I’m in a world of evaluating comparables. UMass. Rutgers. Maryland. Army. Buffalo.

100,000 at Beaver Stadium. Temple modestly rising.

We seem to be amongst a crew of guys who think UConn should be at a parallel level of football success as Central Connecticut. What FBS football is about - with a Northeastern location - is a awesomely tough steep task. Holding Edsall (and predecessors) accountable is correct. However, the astute amongst us must admit that 1/1/17 ... that roster was grossly inadequate to compete in the AAC & going completely in the wrong direction. This Sport is the Titanic; it needs 2-4 solid recruiting & significant depth. To win at just bowl level. Too often I read dismissive statements on here ... expecting a tide of higher ranked HS kids & oodles of Major transfers. That begins with evaluation. Knowing how to build a roster. Pasqualoni & Diaco were broken mindless paths; at least Edsall has that component in the right direction.

There’s lots to ding on this Edsall ... Crocker, Offensive strategy, youthful inadequate players ... but I submit that he is putting one class after another. A good HC can follow & pull it higher if that’s the route.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That's what you consider crapping on players?
You are conflating my post with the OP. I didn't say he was crapping on players. I did say that quote is unfortunate one for an AD to make. It is. I'll bet he wishes he could take a mulligan on it.

Opinions can differ on how much time Edsall deserves but Benedict is right about those two things. The youth on the roster needs time to develop so that we can compete.

Agree.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
“Ridiculous academic standards”, why should the academic standards be lower for an athlete than for any other student? If they can’t cut it in the class room then they shouldn’t be at the school.
I mean in an ideal world sure, but we all know in most places this is not the case. I’m not sure why it’s the stance at UConn to perpetually fall on this sword through different administrations and different leadership in the AD.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are conflating my post with the OP. I didn't say he was crapping on players. I did say that quote is unfortunate one for an AD to make. It is. I'll bet he wishes he could take a mulligan on it.
I suppose I am, but you made it pretty easy with this response to metsfan.

He's not attacking the players he's just stating the obvious that they are a young team and need time to develop.
Not so much, but I agree that what's he should have said.

Reads to me as if you disagree. The OP created a strawman, to which you hopped on. He didn't crap on any players. He said talent matters, it does, and we need time to develop, we do. Only people looking for a reason to be angry/offended would read more into that than what's there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Agree.

The only problem with it is that he left it at talent. Had he said talent, experience and development matter it would be fine. But I doubt that there are players worrying about what Dave B. said.

Reaction Score
The only problem with it is that he left it at talent. Had he said talent, experience and development matter it would be fine. But I doubt that there are players worrying about what Dave B. said.
He had just finished saying UConn was a developmental program. The quote needs to be read in its full context. The only way to argue he was talking about talent alone is to take it out of context. The OP took it out of context and others have wholeheartedly (halfheartedly in some cases) jumped on.

Reaction Score
The stupidity of this whole ordeal is that Edsell's departure for Maryland started this whole thing! Then, the AD absurdly re-hires Edsell to cure the problem that he created! IMO, Edsell never should have ever been allowed to return to Storrs given the way he left the program immediately after losing to Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl and not even flying back to CT with the team.

Reaction Score
The stupidity of this whole ordeal is that Edsell's departure for Maryland started this whole thing! Then, the AD absurdly re-hires Edsell to cure the problem that he created! IMO, Edsell never should have ever been allowed to return to Storrs given the way he left the program immediately after losing to Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl and not even flying back to CT with the team.
It’s like he pulled the “Irish goodbye”

Reaction Score
Who is Edsell?

Reaction Score
Story

Ad Dave Summary “We don’t understand what upheaval the program has gone through and it’s not the coach. It’s the talent.”

Great leadership... Rule 1 - never blame kids for lack of talent. They are busting their rear ends. Evaluating talent is the coach’s job. Rule 2 - never buy into coach BS about time. Plenty of programs turn by year 2. Rule 3. Get a goal. Set a bar. Inspire. Do something other than spew excuses.

What an uninspiring, clueless meat head.
I was going to like this, but then read the article. Creative interpretation of that quote.

it’s pretty clear he’s speaking to the development of the team and building talent. Not at all suggesting the players we have aren’t the right players.
I think this could be handled differently, but disagree with this line of questioning

CL82

Reaction Score
I suppose I am, but you made it pretty easy with this response to metsfan.

Reads to me as if you disagree. The OP created a strawman, to which you hopped on. He didn't crap on any players. He said talent matters, it does, and we need time to develop, we do. Only people looking for a reason to be angry/offended would read more into that than what's there.
Fully admit I got suckered in by the OP's fake quote and was reacting to that in the post you quoted. If you read down a few more posts you will see Metfan pointed that out to me and I thanked him for it.

Still though this quote is what it is.

“When people ask those kinds of questions, it begs, do you understand what’s really going on here?" he said. "Do you think you could bring in some magical coach and he could win? A lot of competing at this level is about the individuals on the field. Talent actually matters.”

Again, in hindsight I'm sure he wishes he had phrased it better. Note that he says "talent actually matters" not "experience actually matters."

Reaction Score
Fully admit I got suckered in by the OP's fake quote and was reacting to that in the post you quoted. If you read down a few more posts you will see Metfan pointed that out to me and I thanked him for it.

Still though this quote is what it is.

Again, in hindsight I'm sure he wishes he had phrased it better. Note that he says "talent actually matters" not "experience actually matters."
That quote isn't "what it is", without the rest of the comments. On it's own, as you've posted it here with your own emphasis added, is taken out of context.

CL82

Reaction Score
That quote isn't "what it is", without the rest of the comments. On it's own, as you've posted it here with your own emphasis added, is taken out of context.
Disagree. Yeah he said a lot of things that were fine, but that does not erase this statement. The sentences prior explain the context. Paraphrasing it - 'What's really going on here?' 'We are less talented than our opponents and not even a magical coach can change that.' The comment is what it is.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
this reasoning I just don’t understand. Why would a prospective coch not sign up because the previous coach was canned after historically bad seasons?

I think the bigger roadblock is no support from administration (poor assistant coach salaries, ridiculous academic standards) That’s all I would care about if I was an incoming coach.

It is called stability in the program and something that won't happen by firing Edsall after three years just like the last two coaches before.

Pasqualoni was never a coach that should have been hired but that is on Hathaway and his disaster handling of the program by putting it back ten years despite having 8 NFL players on the roster. He lasted not even three years before being canned.

Bob Diaco was all talk and destroyed what was left of a once proud Husky team. He recruited tight ends and linebackers and forgot other positions.

Reaction Score
Bad thread. If you can't handle true statements about the players than go follow Diaco around from job to job I'm sure he'll continue to tell you his D-2 players are hall of famers

Reaction Score
It is called stability in the program and something that won't happen by firing Edsall after three years just like the last two coaches before.

Pasqualoni was never a coach that should have been hired but that is on Hathaway and his disaster handling of the program by putting it back ten years despite having 8 NFL players on the roster. He lasted not even three years before being canned.

Bob Diaco was all talk and destroyed what was left of a once proud Husky team. He recruited tight ends and linebackers and forgot other positions.

The team is a dumpster fire. There has been little improvement over 3 years. There is zero stability in the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom