Benedict Sticks with Edsall -Craps on Players | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Benedict Sticks with Edsall -Craps on Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The team is just young making underclassman mistakes. I was impressed that the plays were there, the execution was not and again stupid fouls are drive killers. Got to clean that up fellas and they will.

Reaction Score
The team is just young making underclassman mistakes. I was impressed that the plays were there, the execution was not and again stupid fouls are drive killers. Got to clean that up fellas and they will.
Yeah, and all of sudden the refs get happy feet with targeting calls on UConn. Ryan and then Travis, of all people. I mean try to imagine Manute Bol targeting Billy Barty. Lol. I mean since none of Uconn's defensive backs know HOW to target, the refs pick on an offensive lineman and one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was away in PA the last couple days. Driving home today I was listening the post game show. Carl Banks said he knows Giants fans are going to be all over Bettcher about the defensive schemes. But from what he saw
today the problem wasn't the schemes. It was players who couldn't get off their blocks. He then stated that Parcells and Belichick used to tell them all the time that any scheme they come up with won't work unless they win their individual battles. This made me think of the last few years of UConn football.

Reaction Score
I was away in PA the last couple days. Driving home today I was listening the post game show. Carl Banks said he knows Giants fans are going to be all over Bettcher about the defensive schemes. But from what he saw
today the problem wasn't the schemes. It was players who couldn't get off their blocks. He then stated that Parcells and Belichick used to tell them all the time that any scheme they come up with won't work unless they win their individual battles. This made me think of the last few years of UConn football.
Belichick applied for the head coaching job at UConn many years ago while DC of the Giants and was told to get more experience.

Reaction Score
“Ridiculous academic standards”, why should the academic standards be lower for an athlete than for any other student? If they can’t cut it in the class room then they shouldn’t be at the school.
I think there should be for athletes. The admission standards are very high at UCONN. I know I could not meet them in high school but if admitted could perform well in classes of my choice and interest. My fellow hs athletes were not dumb but also would’ve had difficulty meeting standard UCONN admission standards. Went to a CT high school known for high academics. Can’t imagine students from urban areas and down south meeting these standards. They are athletes but that does not make them dumb.

Reaction Score
I think there should be for athletes. The admission standards are very high at UCONN. I know I could not meet them in high school but if admitted could perform well in classes of my choice and interest. My fellow hs athletes were not dumb but also would’ve had difficulty meeting standard UCONN admission standards. Went to a CT high school known for high academics. Can’t imagine students from urban areas and down south meeting these standards. They are athletes but that does not make them dumb.

we aren’t talking about take a kid with 400 on his SATs. It’s not to have the same standards as non athletes even if it is for say 20% of each recruiting class. You think the basketball team is entirely filled with Rhodes Scholars?

Significantly better academic institutions than UCONN lessen their standards.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn is a bad team that just played one of it best games of the season. The defense doesn't suck every game anymore. A few more plays, and that game goes the other way.

I do not like defending Edsall because I don't like him now and didn't like him that much the first time, but he inherited a program in much worse shape than the one he got in 1999, and he doesn't have a BCS conference to recruit with. I don't know if he is the answer or not, but we can't have a "Fire Edsall" thread after every game. There will be plenty of time for that at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Story

Ad Dave Summary “We don’t understand what upheaval the program has gone through and it’s not the coach. It’s the talent.”

Great leadership... Rule 1 - never blame kids for lack of talent. They are busting their rear ends. Evaluating talent is the coach’s job. Rule 2 - never buy into coach BS about time. Plenty of programs turn by year 2. Rule 3. Get a goal. Set a bar. Inspire. Do something other than spew excuses.

What an uninspiring, clueless meat head.

My aren’t we “great and unmatched genius”

Reaction Score
Yeah, and all of sudden the refs get happy feet with targeting calls on UConn. Ryan and then Travis, of all people. I mean try to imagine Manute Bol targeting Billy Barty. Lol. I mean since none of Uconn's defensive backs know HOW to target, the refs pick on an offensive lineman and one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.

Both college and the NFL have a significant referee problem. The inconsistency in targeting and interference calls is staggering. It is obvious that the officials are really having a problem with the new rules. When fans see replays of this targeting call and the refusal of instant replay to overturn it [without explanation] it adds to our losing confidence in officiating. There was a similar call on the Penn State player last night.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Stupid post poly
Do you understand my post? Actually I’m sure you don’t because you called it stupid. Let me spell it out for you. If you think our game on Saturday was a step in the right direction, that is a stupid take. We should have beaten Houston we didn’t, we suck. We didn’t play better we essentially played how we did every game the difference is Houston doesn’t care this year. An improving team finds a way to win. The rest of the garage in nosticals post is just that garbage. But again explain to me how my post is stupid.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
this reasoning I just don’t understand. Why would a prospective coch not sign up because the previous coach was canned after historically bad seasons?

I think the bigger roadblock is no support from administration (poor assistant coach salaries, ridiculous academic standards) That’s all I would care about if I was an incoming coach.
Because three years is too little time to turn around a football program in because you can’t last three coaches were only employed for three years?

Reaction Score
Belichick didn’t become DC @ NY till 1985. Tom Jackson was promoted from OL Coach to Head Coach in 1983.
That's what I get for getting my info on the Boneyard. Lol

Screenshot_20191020-214347.png

Reaction Score
C

Chief00

Benedict has a plan. Ultimately, he may be viewed as the savior of UConn athletics. He understood the negative impact of the new AAC media deal and advocated for and orchestrated the move to the Big East to restore the relevance and reputation of UConn Basketball. He got the prior and incoming Presidents and the BOT to acquiesce. He also realized that UConn football could thrive as an independent given the need for P-5 members to schedule home and homes and occasional paid appearances for a road visit. He knows we have some leverage by hanging BBall as a viable carrot. As for leadership he’s committed to Edsall for now. Part of it has to do with the reality of our current player talent, part with the economics of buyouts. Yesterday’s game provided a window into what’s possible on the field. Let’s see what the next two games bring. My sense is he’ll sort it all out and we’ll emerge stronger than ever, but let me offer one sobering caveat. I’m an optimist.
Good post and Chief gets the optimist part. You need that for The Grind in any sport. But, if we are going to be honest about talent, that goes for coaching talent too. Both on the field and in recruiting. It’s been deficient.
As a business guy, I think Dave is walking a thin line trying to do pay games and P5 home/away. If teams see the pay games and hold out for that, you effectively blow up your ability to schedule good teams at home. I get the pay game in FL or GA for recruiting, but we need to be careful.

C

Chief00

Edsall coaches tight and the players play tight @Palatine has said this for years. He is not wrong. The one drive at the end of the game down two scores, the kids played looser.

Benedict is one of these guys that always has excuses.
It’s funny the kids can’t have excuses but the adults can.

C

Chief00

we aren’t talking about take a kid with 400 on his SATs. It’s not to have the same standards as non athletes even if it is for say 20% of each recruiting class. You think the basketball team is entirely filled with Rhodes Scholars?

Significantly better academic institutions than UCONN lessen their standards.
The way schools do it today is lower the admissions standards and then fill classes that have online tests with athletes. You can figure out the rest of the story. Then schools brag about their tutor programs. LOL
Like the pay school thing, this is common knowledge out on The Grind. Except, even more schools use this approach. Chief just keeping things real.

Reaction Score
The way schools do it today is lower the admissions standards and then fill classes that have online tests with athletes. You can figure out the rest of the story. Then schools brag about their tutor programs. LOL
Like the pay school thing, this is common knowledge out on The Grind. Except, even more schools use this approach. Chief just keeping things real.

that is nothing new. Easy majors and classes created for athletes to take is nothing new in campuses across the country.

Reaction Score
Not so much, but I agree that what's he should have said.
That is what he said.
"And right now, when you have a program that is like UConn, that is a developmental program — meaning you have to recruit kids and go through the process over multiple years to develop them into kids that then can come out and compete against good football teams — that’s a process, and you can’t speed it up at UConn.”

Reaction Score
Yeah let’s not get on the coaching staff that hasn’t won an FBS game in two years. Lets be a Randy and blame kids and take zero accountability.
People are still providing cover for Edsall, it remarkable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That is what he said.
"And right now, when you have a program that is like UConn, that is a developmental program — meaning you have to recruit kids and go through the process over multiple years to develop them into kids that then can come out and compete against good football teams — that’s a process, and you can’t speed it up at UConn.”
Keep reading:
“When people ask those kinds of questions, it begs, do you understand what’s really going on here?" he said. "Do you think you could bring in some magical coach and he could win? A lot of competing at this level is about the individuals on the field. Talent actually matters.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom