Benedict Sticks with Edsall -Craps on Players | The Boneyard

Benedict Sticks with Edsall -Craps on Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Story

Ad Dave Summary “We don’t understand what upheaval the program has gone through and it’s not the coach. It’s the talent.”

Great leadership... Rule 1 - never blame kids for lack of talent. They are busting their rear ends. Evaluating talent is the coach’s job. Rule 2 - never buy into coach BS about time. Plenty of programs turn by year 2. Rule 3. Get a goal. Set a bar. Inspire. Do something other than spew excuses.

What an uninspiring, clueless meat head.

Reaction Score
It will be a tell tale sign if these guys get it or not when we see if Giufre remains as OC. We need a change there and we need someone that can really develop QBs. I have no issue with Giufre remaining to coach the OL, I just want a prolific, modern OC on staff. Giufre is being asked to do things he doesn’t know enough about.

Reaction Score
Benedict has a plan. Ultimately, he may be viewed as the savior of UConn athletics. He understood the negative impact of the new AAC media deal and advocated for and orchestrated the move to the Big East to restore the relevance and reputation of UConn Basketball. He got the prior and incoming Presidents and the BOT to acquiesce. He also realized that UConn football could thrive as an independent given the need for P-5 members to schedule home and homes and occasional paid appearances for a road visit. He knows we have some leverage by hanging BBall as a viable carrot. As for leadership he’s committed to Edsall for now. Part of it has to do with the reality of our current player talent, part with the economics of buyouts. Yesterday’s game provided a window into what’s possible on the field. Let’s see what the next two games bring. My sense is he’ll sort it all out and we’ll emerge stronger than ever, but let me offer one sobering caveat. I’m an optimist.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Benedict has a plan. Ultimately, he may be viewed as the savior of UConn athletics. He understood the negative impact of the new AAC media deal and advocated for and orchestrated the move to the Big East to restore the relevance and reputation of UConn Basketball. He got the prior and incoming Presidents and the BOT to acquiesce. He also realized that UConn football could thrive as an independent given the need for P-5 members to schedule home and homes and occasional paid appearances for a road visit. He knows we have some leverage by hanging BBall as a viable carrot. As for leadership he’s committed to Edsall for now. Part of it has to do with the reality of our current player talent, part with the economics of buyouts. Yesterday’s game provided a window into what’s possible on the field. Let’s see what the next two games bring. My sense is he’ll sort it all out and we’ll emerge stronger than ever, but let me offer one sobering caveat. I’m an optimist.

This is a stupid not based in reality post. But keep being an “optimist”

Reaction Score

yeah uh, no.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
He's not attacking the players he's just stating the obvious that they are a young team and need time to develop.
Not so much, but I agree that what's he should have said.

Reaction Score
My sense is he’ll sort it all out and we’ll emerge stronger than ever, but let me offer one sobering caveat. I’m an optimist.

CBD14214-1C6D-4C56-A95B-DA974CD53AEF.jpeg

Reaction Score
Yeah I loved looking through the window at losing to a bad and injured Houston. #uptick

Might want to refresh yourself on the definition of "thrive"

CL82

Reaction Score
I think the move to the NBE was predominantly predicated upon the fact that the AAC new TV deal was crap. Profoundly bad. And it was worse for us because 1) we're used to better, 2) our travel costs (both monetary and non-monetary) are higher because we are a geographic outlier, and 3) our T3 rights have value. The fact that move is better for us geographically and saves us in travel costs was another factor. The move to the NBE is revenue positive, and that, for an athletic department as deeply in the red as we are, was enough of a reason to move. I think the positive reaction from fans, recruits and the media was a largely unexpected bonus.

I worry about the impact on football, which doesn't have a whole lot of margin right now. I'm curious to see next week's scheduling announcement. That will be a much a better indicator of whether it is workable or not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Read the story. Is there any statement of a purpose or vision? No, Does he support Edsall? Yes. Does he think changing coaches is the problem? Yes . Does he think more time is the answer? Yes. Does he think the current players are inadequate? Yes. Did he actually say we need more talentYes.

How would you feel as a player if you were giving it your best, and your AD said you simply can’t play at the level needed? You never blame the athlete as the athletics leader. You encourage and motivate to them to be the best they can be and the coach is responsible for putting them in the best position to succeed. You set the expectation of excellence and make kids reach for it.
Sorry, this is everything wrong with UConn and it’s loser mentality. Starts with horrendous unselfaware leadership.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Edsall missed the wide open receivers?
Edsall couldn't get enough push to hammer the ball into the endzone?

It was pretty clear yesterday that the game plan or play calling weren't the problem.

I would add that with most of the starting LB core on the bench, we actually had some speed to the outside.

Yes, Edsall wimps out again late in the half by kneeling on the ball with over a minute and timeouts, but that conservativism is on his resume, we know about it, and have to live with it because Lincoln Rielly isn't coming here.

This is not a day to get on the coaching staff. They looked like a respectable, if very young team yesterday. That's what they should look like and a world better than the last few weeks. Isn't that what you want from a coaching staff? The players don't leave 3 TDs on the field and that is a comfortable win.

Reaction Score
Not so much, but I agree that what's he should have said.

Did you not read the article? You may have been misled by the OP who used quotations around his limited interpretation of the article. It wasn't a real quote. Here's a real quote:

"And right now, when you have a program that is like UConn, that is a developmental program — meaning you have to recruit kids and go through the process over multiple years to develop them into kids that then can come out and compete against good football teams — that’s a process, and you can’t speed it up at UConn.”

CL82

Reaction Score
Did you not read the article? You may have been misled by the dunce OP who used quotations around his interpretation of the article. It wasn't a real quote. Here's a real quote:

"And right now, when you have a program that is like UConn, that is a developmental program — meaning you have to recruit kids and go through the process over multiple years to develop them into kids that then can come out and compete against good football teams — that’s a process, and you can’t speed it up at UConn.”
Ah, thanks. I thought that was an actual quote. The quote above is entirely fair. But this one is a little rough:
“When people ask those kinds of questions, it begs, do you understand what’s really going on here?" he said. "Do you think you could bring in some magical coach and he could win? A lot of competing at this level is about the individuals on the field. Talent actually matters.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a stupid thing to say. Randy blew up the team. He has made mistake after mistake. He hired coaches that made the mess worse.

The kids are victims.
Diaco blew up the team. The roster was a mess. Recruiting was poor. We don't have the final chapter yet, but no NFL draft picks from Diaco. His QB recruiting was poor. His DL recruits in 2015 blew up and then he didn't recruit any in 2016! Speed was not a priority. People may not want to hear it, but that is the hand Edsall was dealt in 2017.

UConn is an athlete development program. In general, 4* and 5* recruits are ready to contribute to FBS schools when they arrive on campus as well as some 3* recruits. The rest need to redshirt and develop. It doesn't mean they are not good athletes or lack potential, but they need more time to develop. If you are Alabama, you can bring in 330 lb offensive linemen that have been developed at high level high school programs and they are ready to contribute. At most schools below the very top schools, an OL recruit may weigh 265 lbs. and needs two years of development to even see the field and probably as a backup. If you are a development program and are forced to play freshmen, redshirt freshmen, or true sophomores in prominent roles on the lines you are in trouble and that is what we have seen at UConn during the past 2 years.

I think almost all of UConn's NFL draft picks that played physical positions like OL, DL, LB redshirted. Yet, now some people seem to think players should be able to be significant contributors as true freshmen and true sophomores. Crazy.

Look, I don't think Edsall has done everything right since he came back to UConn, but I like his recruiting much better than Diaco's and I think he is doing a good job of rebuilding the roster. That said, I am concerned about QB development and the coaches on offense. I don't think Guifre can not be both OL coach and OC.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Saying it’s talent has nothing to do with time/development. I also agree, the coach is responsible for bringing in talent.
Don't worry, he's getting the best talent Canada has to offer. Or at least the second tier. It also sounded from Edsall's post game that the 4 running plays after Mensah's long run were at least with his blessing. Hard to blame to OC on that stuff and absolve to head coach of it

Reaction Score
Ah, thanks. I thought that was an actual quote. The quote above is entirely fair. But this one is a littel rough:
“When people ask those kinds of questions, it begs, do you understand what’s really going on here?" he said. "Do you think you could bring in some magical coach and he could win? A lot of competing at this level is about the individuals on the field. Talent actually matters.”

But when you read the full article you realize he's talking about developing talent and the years it takes. Freshman and Sophomores aren't as good as Juniors and Seniors. As usual many Boneyarders will adjust what they read to support their own agenda. Benedict gave a fair albeit optimistic assessment on the situation and the OP just spewed his hot take.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does he think the current players are inadequate? Yes. Did he actually say we need more talent? Yes. You never blame the athlete as the athletics leader.

Come on. There’s a lot of silly piling on here over his “talent” comment. I get that we love to parse every word these days on every topic. Look, was it ideal? No, but lots of the players already know their own limitations. Many are self-critical. But it’s not as devastating as you think. Everyone needs to step it up, players, coaches, admin, media, fans—everyone—if the program is to be revived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom