Benedict Sticks with Edsall -Craps on Players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Benedict Sticks with Edsall -Craps on Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But when you read the full article you realize he's talking about developing talent and the years it takes. Freshman and Sophomores aren't as good as Juniors and Seniors. As usual many Boneyarders will adjust what they read to support their own agenda. Benedict gave a fair albeit optimistic assessment on the situation and the OP just spewed his hot take.
Sorry, disagree. If you own the title, you own the responsibility for getting the message right and leading. Not a single one of them deserve an iota of a benefit of the doubt. That’s been done for 10 years with miserable results. I have no agenda other than holding these people to accountability for results.

Reaction Score
Sorry, disagree. If you own the title, you own the responsibility for getting the message right and leading. Not a single one of them deserve an iota of a benefit of the doubt. That’s been done for 10 years with miserable results. I have no agenda other than holding these people to accountability for results.

And if you post on this board you should own the responsibility to use quotations accurately.

BTW Benedict has only been here a little over 3 and a half years and like it or not many UCONN fans support much of what he has done here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edsall missed the wide open receivers?
Edsall couldn't get enough push to hammer the ball into the endzone?

It was pretty clear yesterday that the game plan or play calling weren't the problem.

I would add that with most of the starting LB core on the bench, we actually had some speed to the outside.

Yes, Edsall wimps out again late in the half by kneeling on the ball with over a minute and timeouts, but that conservativism is on his resume, we know about it, and have to live with it because Lincoln Rielly isn't coming here.

This is not a day to get on the coaching staff. They looked like a respectable, if very young team yesterday. That's what they should look like and a world better than the last few weeks. Isn't that what you want from a coaching staff? The players don't leave 3 TDs on the field and that is a comfortable win.

Yeah let’s not get on the coaching staff that hasn’t won an FBS game in two years. Lets be a Randy and blame kids and take zero accountability.

Reaction Score
Dude, you need a timeout, immediately. Aside from your need to misinterpret every quote to fit your agenda, you can’t just keep posting the same drivel repeatedly hoping to get a like. Take some time, go for a walk, hug one out. Do something ELSE.

This is a 3 year rebuild and we are in year 2. In a perfect world, few of these kids would be playing now.

Arguing it’s not getting better seems silly today. You can whine about the loss, but that’s a team that gave OU, wash state, Tulane and cincy a run. That’s a game we would’ve lost by 30 last year. They need to learn how to win, no doubt, but you can see progress.

yes it’s painful, but stop arguing about today, they’re trying to get this program ready for next decade. Trust the process. And take a breath.

Reaction Score
Dude, you need a timeout, immediately. Aside from your need to misinterpret every quote to fit your agenda, you can’t just keep posting the same drivel repeatedly hoping to get a like. Take some time, go for a walk, hug one out. Do something ELSE.

This is a 3 year rebuild and we are in year 2. In a perfect world, few of these kids would be playing now.

Arguing it’s not getting better seems silly today. You can whine about the loss, but that’s a team that gave OU, wash state, Tulane and cincy a run. That’s a game we would’ve lost by 30 last year. They need to learn how to win, no doubt, but you can see progress.

yes it’s painful, but stop arguing about today, they’re trying to get this program ready for next decade. Trust the process. And take a breath.

We are in year 3 bud.

Reaction Score
I think the move to the NBE was predominantly predicated upon the fact that the AAC new TV deal was crap. Profoundly bad. And it was worse for us because 1) we're used to better, 2) our travel costs (both monetary and non-monetary) are higher because we are a geographic outlier, and 3) our T3 rights have value. The fact that move is better for us geographically and saves us in travel costs was another factor. The move to the NBE is revenue positive, and that, for a athletic department as deeply in the red as we are, was enough of a reason to move. I think the positive reaction from fans, recruits and the media was a largely unexpected bonus.

I worry about the impact on football, which doesn't have a whole lot of margin right now. I'm curious to see next week's scheduling announcement. That will be a much a better indicator of whether it is workable or not.

Careful now, the phone installer might get on your case.
You're absolutely right about revenues. With what we'll get from the NBE contract plus the "buy" games and money from T3 rights we'll probably be well ahead of the AAC "$Billion" deal when all sources are considered.

Reaction Score
Edsall coaches tight and the players play tight @Palatine has said this for years. He is not wrong. The one drive at the end of the game down two scores, the kids played looser.

Benedict is one of these guys that always has excuses.

Reaction Score
And if you post on this board you should own the responsibility to use quotations accurately.

BTW Benedict has only been here a little over 3 and a half years and like it or not many UCONN fans support much of what he has done here.
You can shill for him all you want. It doesn’t change the fact . You don’t say what he said. You can like him for helping make the move to the Fake BE.

Reaction Score
We are in year 3 bud.

Diaco was fired in December 2016..
Edsall came in January of 2017.. so he
Didn’t really have his Own handpicked recruit class in 2017.. but 2018 and 2019 he did.

So yes he’s been here on UConn soil 3 years in January 2020 but recruit wise he’s really had just 2 full recruiting cycles including December recruits as well as February recruits.

Reaction Score
Diaco was fired in December 2016..
Edsall came in January of 2017.. so he
Didn’t really have his Own handpicked recruit class in 2017.. but 2018 and 2019 he did.

So yes he’s been here on UConn soil 3 years in January 2020 but recruit wise he’s really had just 2 full recruiting cycles including December recruits as well as February recruits.

No excuses. He’s getting paid for no results. It won’t be any better next year.

Reaction Score

I’d be with you if this wasn’t year 9. I’d be with you if we didn’t have an unqualified, discount OC. I’d be with you if we fought to keep Lashlee. I’d be with you if we fought and paid to keep grimes. I’d be with you if AD Dave put his foot down on Crocker after year 1. I just don’t care to trust any of them or their judgments because they haven’t earned it. As a 21 year season ticket holder I’ve seen it all, and paid up to express my view.

Reaction Score
Edsall missed the wide open receivers?
Edsall couldn't get enough push to hammer the ball into the endzone?

It was pretty clear yesterday that the game plan or play calling weren't the problem.

I would add that with most of the starting LB core on the bench, we actually had some speed to the outside.

Yes, Edsall wimps out again late in the half by kneeling on the ball with over a minute and timeouts, but that conservativism is on his resume, we know about it, and have to live with it because Lincoln Rielly isn't coming here.

This is not a day to get on the coaching staff. They looked like a respectable, if very young team yesterday. That's what they should look like and a world better than the last few weeks. Isn't that what you want from a coaching staff? The players don't leave 3 TDs on the field and that is a comfortable win.

if its the jimmies and joes three years in and not the X’s and O’s then the coach still needs to go. How anyone is defending Edsall at this point (and I was a charter Edsall Apologista) is truly incomprehensible .

Teams have their third string and walk ons in the second half and they are still beating UCONN.

Not only should Edsall be given his walking papers the second after the final game ends, Benedict should join him. And here is the other elephant in the room, our new president does not seem like he will be that much less clueless than President Herbst was when it comes to athletics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Here’s the problem, and it doesn’t matter if someone is pro or con Randy, pro or con AD David Benedict, or any other position. If you have to misquote someone to make the same argument you’ve made over and over, it actually weakens your argument. That’s where your OP went completely off the rails.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Story

Ad Dave Summary “We don’t understand what upheaval the program has gone through and it’s not the coach. It’s the talent.”

Great leadership... Rule 1 - never blame kids for lack of talent. They are busting their rear ends. Evaluating talent is the coach’s job. Rule 2 - never buy into coach BS about time. Plenty of programs turn by year 2. Rule 3. Get a goal. Set a bar. Inspire. Do something other than spew excuses.

What an uninspiring, clueless meat head.

We get it. You don't like Edsall and I get it. He isn't going anywhere and not sure how you don't understand that. I am frustrated too, but the team needed almost a complete tear down and rebuild.
You cannot have the turnover the coaching staff every couple of years. That is a reason for players not to sign up with the school or coaching staff being changed all the time.

Reaction Score
We get it. You don't like Edsall and I get it. He isn't going anywhere and not sure how you don't understand that. I am frustrated too, but the team needed almost a complete tear down and rebuild.
You cannot have the turnover the coaching staff every couple of years. That is a reason for players not to sign up with the school or coaching staff being changed all the time.

this reasoning I just don’t understand. Why would a prospective coch not sign up because the previous coach was canned after historically bad seasons?

I think the bigger roadblock is no support from administration (poor assistant coach salaries, ridiculous academic standards) That’s all I would care about if I was an incoming coach.

Reaction Score
It will be a tell tale sign if these guys get it or not when we see if Giufre remains as OC. We need a change there and we need someone that can really develop QBs. I have no issue with Giufre remaining to coach the OL, I just want a prolific, modern OC on staff. Giufre is being asked to do things he doesn’t know enough about.
UConn will be hard pressed to get a “prolific” OC without any real offensive talent to speak of. In addition, UConn will be a stepping stone for some young position coach who wants to move up the ranks to be a coordinator. He’ll learn the coordinator job at UConn and if any good will move on to a be
bigger program.

Reaction Score
this reasoning I just don’t understand. Why would a prospective coch not sign up because the previous coach was canned after historically bad seasons?

I think the bigger roadblock is no support from administration (poor assistant coach salaries, ridiculous academic standards) That’s all I would care about if I was an incoming coach.
“Ridiculous academic standards”, why should the academic standards be lower for an athlete than for any other student? If they can’t cut it in the class room then they shouldn’t be at the school.

Reaction Score
A
Story

Ad Dave Summary “We don’t understand what upheaval the program has gone through and it’s not the coach. It’s the talent.”

Great leadership... Rule 1 - never blame kids for lack of talent. They are busting their rear ends. Evaluating talent is the coach’s job. Rule 2 - never buy into coach BS about time. Plenty of programs turn by year 2. Rule 3. Get a goal. Set a bar. Inspire. Do something other than spew excuses.

What an uninspiring, clueless meat head.
Doesn't mean Benedict won't fire him at the end of the season. Several influential individuals close to UConn want to see him gone.

Reaction Score

Well said, Coach Edsall could not have said it better.

Reaction Score
Here’s the problem, and it doesn’t matter if someone is pro or con Randy, pro or con AD David Benedict, or any other position. If you have to misquote someone to make the same argument you’ve made over and over, it actually weakens your argument. That’s where your OP went completely off the rails.
There is zero misquote. You don’t like what I read from it.

Reaction Score
Not only should Edsall be given his walking papers the second after the final game ends, Benedict should join him. And here is the other elephant in the room, our new president does not seem like he will be that much less clueless than President Herbst was when it comes to athletics.

hc-uconn-football-edsall-behind-scenes-20180421.jpeg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We get it. You don't like Edsall and I get it. He isn't going anywhere and not sure how you don't understand that.
I don't like Edsall but I have no problem saying the best thing for this program right now is for Edsall to start succeeding. We're showing some signs of life at home. I know we missed 4 open deep guys, but hey, we had 4 open deep guys! That's progress. I'd love to see a what the heck win.

Reaction Score
What is going to be equally interesting to find out is who televises the football games. Will SNY pick up all the ugly(FCS and G-5) games? Will UConn still see a few ESPN games? Who else might be in play? If UConn and UMass set up a semi regular series does NESN cover those and if so what kind of payout is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom