Bench reaction pics - priceless! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bench reaction pics - priceless!

Reaction Score
Briana made the last basket from the last Uconn championship. Yes, the bench went wild. Check out my avatar.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree with everyone that the pictures are great and special to the players doing them. But, and I have to say it, No picture or video will EVER top Briana Pulido's last basket in her last game's sideline reaction by her teammates that truly loved her like I do.
Briana made the last basket from the last Uconn championship. Yes, the bench went wild. Check out my avatar.

Check out the coaches’ reactions, including Geno

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The ironic thing about that play is I actually think that Williams ankle buster move was a travel.
The ref was so mesmerized by the move that put the opposing player on her backside and the effort it took to keep from laughing, that they didn't notice the travel.:rolleyes:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The reaction to Briana's shot going in is fantastic.

But the before and after is cool too.
Before: the anticipation of several of the players as Briana lines it up.
After: after the hug Geno gives her a bit of a push to get back on defense...uhh...you know...defense wins games and Syracuse might have had a 35 point play up its sleeve.

Great memories....more to come in April 2022.

Reaction Score
And if she made that move against a UConn player we would see it during the opening sequence of every NCAAW game for the next year.
Every year during the tournament the Morgan William shot against UConn to win it is shown over and over and over and over and over.....

Guarantee it will be this year also.

Reaction Score
Every year during the tournament the Morgan William shot against UConn to win it is shown over and over and over and over and over.....

Guarantee it will be this year also.
What is great about TV sets is you can turn the channel so you don't have to watch it.

Reaction Score
2022_2_20GeorgetownHoyasUConnWBB062.JPG

Azzi is impressed!
The crossover, euro-step reverse layup shots are priceless, the bench erupting and the hapless defender on her way into the cheap seats; not to be missed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I love this one ...

2022_2_20GeorgetownHoyasUConnWBB074.JPG
I got a chance to chat with Katie Lou for a moment after a Sparks home game a couple of seasons ago. She was there to watch sister Karlie who was then with L.A.. She was very nice and cordial, especially after I told her I was a BIG UConn WBB fan. :cool:

Reaction Score

I for one am a huge Amari fan. Am so happy that she has stuck it out through the season with all of the up and downs. If you watch her on the bench she is always smiling and enjoying the team. She jumps after shots are made and runs out to meet the players if a time out is called. After winning the Big East title last week she was the one holding the trophy most of the time. Last night she was having a blast with the confetti. Love here spunk. I know that she will excel in the coming years.​

Attachments

• AMARI.jpg
    AMARI.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 205

Carnac

Reaction Score

I for one am a huge Amari fan. Am so happy that she has stuck it out through the season with all of the up and downs. If you watch her on the bench she is always smiling and enjoying the team. She jumps after shots are made and runs out to meet the players if a time out is called. After winning the Big East title last week she was the one holding the trophy most of the time. Last night she was having a blast with the confetti. Love here spunk. I know that she will excel in the coming years.​

This year was a "period of adjustment" for Amari. With ONO gone, no doubt the coaches expect Amari to take her place in the paint as the starting 5 for the next 3 years. Ice Brady or Dorka (if she returns) will be her back up. She should be physically ready. It's been suggested by some Boneyarders that she would benefit greatly by spending some extra time in the weight room. Have you noticed Christyn's upper body (arms)? That's what spending 4 years in the weight room looks like.

Being around her other strong minded strong willed teammates will only help put her in the right frame of mind to begin the season. In short, come November it's next man up. She's the next man. I expect to see her get real comfortable and in sync with the rest of the starters after the 5th or 6th game. One thing we know about Amari, she's not afraid to shoot. :cool: At some point, she'll find her rhythm. I keep remembering what a male practice player said about Amari's jumper....smoothest he's seen in a while. I also think the mantra "Everybody Eats" carries over to next season.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This year was a "period of adjustment" for Amari. With ONO gone, no doubt the coaches expect Amari to take her place in the paint as the starting 5 for the next 3 years. Ice Brady or Dorka (if she returns) will be her back up. She should be physically ready. It's been suggested by some Boneyarders that she would benefit greatly by spending some extra time in the weight room. Have you noticed Christyn's upper body (arms)? That's what spending 4 years in the weight room looks like.

Being around her other strong minded strong willed teammates will only help put her in the right frame of mind to begin the season. In short, come November it's next man up. She's the next man. I expect to see her get real comfortable and in sync with the rest of the starters after the 5th or 6th game. One thing we know about Amari, she's not afraid to shoot. :cool: At some point, she'll find her rhythm. I keep remembering what a male practice player said about Amari's jumper....smoothest he's seen in a while. I also think the mantra "Everybody Eats" carries over to next season.
Normally I agree with your posts, but what have you seen from Amari to think she would start next year over Dorka (should she return)? Obviously so much can happen over the summer, but I think Amari will be in a dogfight with Ice and Ayanna for their role on the bench behind (my expected) post starters of Edwards and Juhaz...

I have said, even in this thread, how much I enjoy Amari's energy and exuberance on the bench, but she needs to translate that to the court. Geno has noted (like he did with Olivia) that Amari does not practice well, even if she plays better in games.

100% agree it was a season of adjustments for her. I totally hope you are right - her talent is there, and will continue to improve. But IMHO it's her intensity and effort that needs to ramp way up on the floor (and probably in practice too).

Carnac

Reaction Score
Normally I agree with your posts, but what have you seen from Amari to think she would start next year over Dorka (should she return)? Obviously so much can happen over the summer, but I think Amari will be in a dogfight with Ice and Ayanna for their role on the bench behind (my expected) post starters of Edwards and Juhaz...

I have said, even in this thread, how much I enjoy Amari's energy and exuberance on the bench, but she needs to translate that to the court. Geno has noted (like he did with Olivia) that Amari does not practice well, even if she plays better in games.

100% agree it was a season of adjustments for her. I totally hope you are right - her talent is there, and will continue to improve. But IMHO it's her intensity and effort that needs to ramp way up on the floor (and probably in practice too).
I'm assuming (hoping) a sophomore leap of some degree for Amari. However you are absolutely correct. To date, she has shown little if anything that would suggest she takes over the starting 5. I'm assuming that she gains some maturity, some weight room strength and an escalated volume of work ethic in practice over the summer.

If she can't take ONO's place, then Dorka or Edwards may step in (as you suggest) and Brady or Patterson may will back them. I'm also assuming she has had enough of watching from the bench and is ready to play. I can't see her being content to spend another year on the bench cheerleading. Geno sez: "give me a reason to play you, or a reason to keep you on the bench." THAT should be her motivation over the summer.

Geno as often said: "if a player doesn't get it by their sophomore year, they never will." Let's hope she gets it. We'll spend the entire summer trying to figure out who Geno starts next season. Admittedly my post was tinged with a bit of optimism and visualizing Amari starting until I hear or read otherwise. That is why she was brought in. To be ONO's heir apparent. That IS the plan unless she's not able to answer the bell. She knows exactly what she needs to do between the end of the season and that first exhibition game in November. The ball is in HER court.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm assuming (hoping) a sophomore leap of some degree for Amari. However you are absolutely correct. To date, she has shown little if anything that would suggest she takes over the starting 5. I'm assuming that she gains some maturity, some weight room strength and an escalated volume of work ethic in practice over the summer.

If she can't take ONO's place, then Dorka or Edwards may step in (as you suggest) and Brady or Patterson may will back them. I'm also assuming she has had enough of watching from the bench and is ready to play. I can't see her being content to spend another year on the bench cheerleading. Geno sez: "give me a reason to play you, or a reason to keep you on the bench." THAT should be her motivation over the summer.

Geno as often said: "if a player doesn't get it by their sophomore year, they never will." Let's hope she gets it. We'll spend the entire summer trying to figure out who Geno starts next season. Admittedly my post was tinged with a bit of optimism and visualizing Amari starting until I hear or read otherwise. That is why she was brought in. To be ONO's heir apparent. That IS the plan unless she's not able to answer the bell. She knows exactly what she needs to do between the end of the season and that first exhibition game in November. The ball is in HER court.
Amari strikes me more as a 3/4 than a post player like Liv

Carnac

Reaction Score
Ok, then who guards the post player on the other team on defense? Sometimes coaches (in college tell their players: guard whoever guards you. That makes it real easy. Amari just might be better suited with this team as a 3/4. We know that lots of teams don’t have a designated post. They run 3 guards and 2 wings or forwards. Regardless, Amari has got to earn a spot in the rotation either starting or coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
Let me add a couple of notes about team chemistry and behavior from the Semis and Final.

1) Early in the 2nd game Sunday the team came to scout their possible opponent - as is normal. I was near them and several players came out to the entrance near them for EXTENDED photo opts, chats, autograph signings - Mama E, Amari, Aaliyah - likely plus others I didn't stay for. Mama E brought a kid fan's poster back into the seated group for autographs after spending time making nice. Amari (she's tall in person) indulged many folks with fan interests and photos, etc. Aaliyah has a smile that is WAY bigger than it looks on TV and equally indulged the many requests for face time.

Just speaks SO WELL of these folks as people and team members to give their time to, sometimes demanding, fans after a hard fought game.

2) Yesterday the team STAYED way after TV coverage cut off and played in the confetti, goofed around, posed for photos and seemed like a happy family. Dorka had a sweet moment with the mascot huskie which was photogenic. Paige, Piath, Aaliyah & Nika laid out prone on the confetti covered floor and did snow angels. The team stayed to savor the moment and give remaining fans some additional close-up time as those left converged close-in to the awards area.

My point in posting this during the loss stint many observed the team looked like they were not having fun - perhaps beyond the injury plague and I admit being concerned also.

What I saw close-up last night & at the Semis looks like solid team chemistry.

Also - thanks to each of them for the kindness and patience they showed the fans. For us a bit of one-on-one time is a life memory.

Reaction Score
Amari strikes me more as a 3/4 than a post player like Liv
The only player who seems to be a true center is Piath and how much she'll be able to contribute next year is an open question. A true center - tall and having some bulk - is getting to be a rare breed on both the men's and women's side. I'm not all the wild about having a true center as a starter as they tend to slow the transition game down.

Where Amari fits in will have a lot to do with how well she shoots. I doubt she'll find a home as a 3 in the rotation so likely a 4 that floats between the 3 point arc and the paint. We just haven't seen enough of her to make any real assessment of where to play her.

Reaction Score
Let me add a couple of notes about team chemistry and behavior from the Semis and Final.

1) Early in the 2nd game Sunday the team came to scout their possible opponent - as is normal. I was near them and several players came out to the entrance near them for EXTENDED photo opts, chats, autograph signings - Mama E, Amari, Aaliyah - likely plus others I didn't stay for. Mama E brought a kid fan's poster back into the seated group for autographs after spending time making nice. Amari (she's tall in person) indulged many folks with fan interests and photos, etc. Aaliyah has a smile that is WAY bigger than it looks on TV and equally indulged the many requests for face time.

Just speaks SO WELL of these folks as people and team members to give their time to, sometimes demanding, fans after a hard fought game.

Casey, this shot I got while they were sitting watching the DePaul vs. Marquette game. Si I agree with all that you said.

Attachments

• 2022-03-05 NCAA Women's Basketball; DePaul vs. Marquette; Photo 183.JPG
    2022-03-05 NCAA Women's Basketball; DePaul vs. Marquette; Photo 183.JPG
    689.1 KB · Views: 144

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member