Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thought it was a decent show. Night before in Great Woods was killer. The Lizards was a nice touch. My 2nd one this year which is unheard of almost.
Yeah, I've seen the praise for the Great Woods show, but since my days of following a tour are long gone I don't get caught up in what I've missed and I'm just happy for a solid show when I go, with more hits than misses. As always a few songs I could do without, but definitely a nice show overall for my tastes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, I've seen the praise for the Great Woods show, but since my days of following a tour are long gone I don't get caught up in what I've missed and I'm just happy for a solid show when I go, with more hits than misses.

I'm sick of those those guys that follow-up one's expressed enjoyment of something with that stuff. You had a nice meal? The place used to be better. You see a good show? They were better the night before. Boring.

Reaction Score
So I'm one of those guys? Anyone that knows, listens, and checks out Phish can relate to my comment above. It was no attempt to take from 8893's good time. Just the truth about Summer '16 thus far. Want to tell me what you had for breakfast so I can * all over that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Please. We all know that there is only one "truth," and that is FZappa20:

Seriously though, no offense taken here. Just like sports fans, and beer fans, there are lots of different types of Phish "phans," and I have many "phriends" who can only appreciate shows in the context of how they compare to other shows on the tour, or other shows they've seen, etc. I've always liked David Gans's Grateful Dead-baseball analogy and it works for me with respect to Phish shows as well:

Grateful Dead concerts are like baseball games: no two are ever alike. The plays are always different, and there's always fresh hope. Sometimes the game's an all-timer even though individual performances are sloppy; sometimes everybody plays great but the team loses anyway.

Some people thrive on yesterday's moments, and aren't too keen on the way the game's played today. Some have only been fans since last year and don't care what happened way back when. You can cherish the great victories and triumphant seasons and chart them across decades, or you can go simply for the enjoyment of tonight and to hell with the standings. Like all the great teams, the Dead have their pennant years and bleak innings, perfect games and whippings, hits and foul balls, heroes and goats.

To many they're an institution, to some mere child's play, and to others the Grateful Dead is more or less an indispensable part of life. There are those who say the game's too slow, that the brief moments of action and excitement are too few and far between. Like "America's Favorite Pastime," the Dead are both celebrated and criticized, and some people will never see what's to enjoy.

Like big-league fans, Deadheads are as varied as the game is long. There are scorekeepers who record every detail for statistical analysis and a place in the Hall of Fame; camera buffs and video freaks; armchair umpires, die-hards, groupies. Some are bleacher bums who'd be in the stands no matter who was playing; and there are even spousal fans who go because if they didn't, they'd be left home alone. A lot of people attend because they've always gone and really don't care to stop.

It may take a few visits to grasp the subtleties, but if you let yourself into the flow of things, there's something to enjoy from the very first moment you're there. As the old saying goes, the mind believes what the mind believes: Grateful Dead is cerebral if you choose to analyze it, but it's basic and instinctive too. Like the game of baseball.

Having seen them regularly since '85, I'm definitely more inclined to take the long view these days, like I do with UConn hoops, and baseball, among other things.

And, listening back to last night's show now, I'm finding a lot to like hearing again.

Reaction Score
Stayed with some friends in the Catskills this weekend while checking out Steely Dan & Winwood at Bethel Woods....also made a stop at Catskill Brewing.....The two IPA's were nothing amazing, the Pilsner and Bock were solid.
13631599_10210077511324023_1407652469671713785_n.jpg

Reaction Score
Stayed with some friends in the Catskills this weekend while checking out Steely Dan & Winwood at Bethel Woods....also made a stop at Catskill Brewing.....The two IPA's were nothing amazing, the Pilsner and Bock were solid. View attachment 14389
You know, I'm starting to get spoiled. After drinking some of the great IPA stuff around here like Tree House, Trillium and Hill Farmstead I can't even enjoy "normal" craft stuff as much. Went to a Red Sox game the other day and had Goose Island IPA there and it just didn't cut it.

Reaction Score
You know, I'm starting to get spoiled. After drinking some of the great IPA stuff around here like Tree House, Trillium and Hill Farmstead I can't even enjoy "normal" craft stuff as much. Went to a Red Sox game the other day and had Goose Island IPA there and it just didn't cut it.

That's because you were at a Red Sox game. Goose Island is excellent in the Bronx. :eek:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Isn't that funny? Dogfish Head 60 was my entry beer to IPA's and now I can't understand how I ever liked it. Lagunitas is the one "normal" IPA I still enjoy.

Reaction Score
So very true. I have Tree House and Sip in the fridge, my wife asked if I wanted Torpedo (one of my old favorites), and I thought why waste the space in the beer fridge.

Reaction Score
Isn't that funny? Dogfish Head 60 was my entry beer to IPA's and now I can't understand how I ever liked it. Lagunitas is the one "normal" IPA I still enjoy.

I am amazed, and respect mind you, how big people are on IPA's. My son asked me recently if I liked them as he will turn 21 this week and his buddies drink all kinds. I told him I'm a beer bore compared to the new generation, I suck at beer especially IPA's which are so damn awful to me. I mean I like the taste of some, but hoppy, not hoppy, citrusy, flavorful - I am clueless. But I do enjoy reading everyone's reviews, interesting.

I know you'll laugh because it's so weak, but Allagash Blonde at the Ocean Mist in Matunuk Beach RI is about my favorite on tap beer which I can have more than 1 or 2. Otherwise it's Corona Light in the bottle LOL

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I've seen the praise for the Great Woods show, but since my days of following a tour are long gone I don't get caught up in what I've missed and I'm just happy for a solid show when I go, with more hits than misses. As always a few songs I could do without, but definitely a nice show overall for my tastes.
Same here ....'85 was my first show too. Love the boys regardless of night.

I heard Hartford was the show of the tour from multiple friends who have seen every show this summer.

Youre both noobs anyway. :) Camp Creek was where all the old school heady fam was this weekend, not two sheds in mass and CT.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Hill farmstead Abner in Vermont....
Just came back from a visit. New brewery is outstanding and they let us taste everything on tap. Had a bottle of Damon Stout at the brewery. Brought back a bunch of Dorothy, Edward, Arthur and Double Galaxy growlers.

Reaction Score

Normal IPA's???? He., he.... I now go with Founders All Day 15 packs.

But local, easier to get stuff that I don't have to hunt down: NEBCO Sea Hag, Stony Creek Cranky DIPA, Broad Brook Hopstillo.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Sea Hag and Honeyspot Road are my two favorite easy to get IPAs.

Reaction Score
Sea Hag is my go to for easy to find IPAs. I was actually somewhat upset over 4th of july weekend when the packy i stopped at was all out of Sea Hag and I had to buy Grapefruit Sculpin. Granted the Grapefruit Sculpin is great but $9.99 for a 6er feels better than the $16.99 I dropped on the Sculpin.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Sea Hag is my go to for easy to find IPAs. I was actually somewhat upset over 4th of july weekend when the packy i stopped at was all out of Sea Hag and I had to buy Grapefruit Sculpin. Granted the Grapefruit Sculpin is great but $9.99 for a 6er feels better than the $16.99 I dropped on the Sculpin.

$16.99? Damn. Most I've ever seen it for was $14.99, but it's been $13.99 at the few places I've checked lately.

Reaction Score
$16.99? Damn. Most I've ever seen it for was $14.99, but it's been $13.99 at the few places I've checked lately.

Me too...I see $14.99 for the Sculpin. But I've refused to pay that much so far.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I heard Hartford was the show of the tour from multiple friends who have seen every show this summer.

Youre both noobs anyway. :) Camp Creek was where all the old school heady fam was this weekend, not two sheds in mass and CT.
I have to say, the Hartford show has held up to repeated listens since. Definitely a solid show by any measure imo.

Re Camp Creek, I suppose it would have been nice to be in the younger half of the crowd, which definitely wasn't the case for me at Phish. I wonder what percentage of that crowd would even have head of Max Creek. Half, maybe?

In any event, back to the thread topic; @Zionn did you write the official review for phish.net?

We have a saying in Connecticut; “When New England Brewing Company advertises the availability of Double Fuzzy Ducks IPA, you proceed to acquire said IPA, preferably in large brown jugs that can be transported to a parking lot for purposes of consumption.” My party did exactly this, and arrived on lot at 4:45 on what can best be described as a pleasantly gray day.

Actually, not a bad write-up, especially considering that the kid is 13 years younger than me (and obviously much more a part of the score-keeping Phish crowd than I am):

A Jewel in Hartford’s Foul Domain…

Reaction Score
Love me some Creek. Hag is also my go to IPA.

No - not my write up but reads like someone from my crew. Yet we started at 3.

Also has;

Sip
Julius
Heady
Heavy Metal
Trail Blazer

Solid line up indeed for a great time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Love me some Creek. Hag is also my go to IPA.

No - not my write up but reads like someone from my crew. Yet we started at 3.

Also has;

Sip
Julius
Heady
Heavy Metal
Trail Blazer

Solid line up indeed for a great time.
Very nice lineup; too nice for the day I had behind me--had been at an annual party an hour away--and the ride I had ahead of me.

I was loaded with Citizen Ciders, a couple Radlers, and exactly one Sip that saved for when I arrived at the lot. Was happy to find the Harpoon session IPA and Lil' Heaven inside, although I think $16 is now the most I've ever paid for a pint of beer in my life.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Very nice lineup; too nice for the day I had behind me--had been at an annual party an hour away--and the ride I had ahead of me.

I was loaded with Citizen Ciders, a couple Radlers, and exactly one Sip that saved for when I arrived at the lot. Was happy to find the Harpoon session IPA and Lil' Heaven inside, although I think $16 is now the most I've ever paid for a pint of beer in my life.
I'm drinking less now so I will spend more individually for a great bottle, but some of the pricing is getting out of hand. I forked out $35 for a Cascade Kriek (cherries) that was unbelievable - you really need to like sours though. And Hill Farmstead was getting $30 for Dorothy, dry hopped barrel aged. Picked up 2 since I was there but it's really hard to justify when there are so many great beers for much less.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom