Beer | Page 59 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The Habenero Sculpin from Ballast Point is pretty kickass but only if you like the spicy.

I thought I was the only one who liked it. I LOVE that stuff.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Habenero Sculpin from Ballast Point is pretty kickass but only if you like the spicy.
I thought I was the only one who liked it. I LOVE that stuff.
I love it, too. Most everyone else I know does not.

Prime had a Ballast Point tap takeover last night but I don't think they had that. I didn't make it there, but I'm hoping to swing by for happy hour tonight and grab a Victory at Sea porter, which I also love. Maybe a stout or two, too.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
That's the thing. We need a reality check here. We are so ridiculously spoiled with top notch beers in CT now that none of us should have to travel an hour-plus or wait in line for a great beer. I love Treehouse and agree that they are in a rarefied class with Hill Farmstead, Maine Brewing and Bissell Brothers (as I've said before, I think it has something to do with the softness of the water), but there is a lot of this that is also "grass is greener" driven, i.e., being harder to get makes it that much more desirable.

Spoiled is relative. Most the local stores here (I live in Storrs) have few if any top shelf fresh IPAs. If they do you have to ask for them (which just perpetuates the "hard to get " thing) and possibly overpay.

Options are:go to a bar and overpay, downgrade tastes or drive 45 mins each way to treehouse or steady habit. Which I do on occasion.

If I could regularly get Sea Hag at the package store I probably wouldn't ever bother going to treehouse.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If I could regularly get Sea Hag at the package store I probably wouldn't ever bother going to treehouse.
Ok, fair enough. Most parts of the state are spoiled then. I am never without fresh Sea Hag and several others in my fridge because I get them at my local regularly. Current stock in my fridge includes Sea Hag, Pour Judgement, Captain's Daughter, Sip of Sunshine, various Sculpins and Jack's Abbey Kiwi Rising India Pale Lager (they are another great one imo; all lagers, but their IPLs stand up to some of the best IPAs).

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'll have to start asking around for Captain's Daughter; one of the guys I go to says he never has the opportunity to get it anymore.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
BTW, for any other cider fans out there, Citizen Cider from Burlington, VT is now available in CT. Their regular cider (Unified Press) and ginger cider (Dirty Mayor) are two of my favorite ciders ever, and they have a ton of others, including ones that they dry hop.

Reaction Score
Coastal in Branford always seems to have Sea Hag, and I'm only there 3 or 4 times a year.

Top 5 in my fridge right now:

Lawson's SOS
Ommegang 3 Philosophers
Allagash Dubbel
NEBCO Seahag
# by Against the Grain/Stillwater

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
3 minute line at treehouse. Very systematic since everyone is buying the same thing; the limit.

The best beer I could find in town today was Flower Child. Not bad, but a 1-1/2 hour round trip on a rainy wednesday afternoon yields the nectar of the gods. Now I feel spoiled.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 30
Reaction Score
I've got the fortuitous hookup for treehouse ( two of my band mates live in monson) and they bring me the stuff pretty much every weekend. It is fantastic.
It goes great with... you know

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm friends with the manager at Max Bev Bishop's corner (once designed a package store for him) and also the beer kid at Parkview Wine on Park Road. Also, Max Bev annonces when they have SOS on Snapchat.
Great bourbon selection at Max keeps me coming back, they did scalp me $10 a bottle for Bourbon County Stout last year, but probably my fault for not asking the price. Other than the stout I have never asked what's in the back over there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Spoiled is relative. Most the local stores here (I live in Storrs) have few if any top shelf fresh IPAs. If they do you have to ask for them (which just perpetuates the "hard to get " thing) and possibly overpay.

Options are:go to a bar and overpay, downgrade tastes or drive 45 mins each way to treehouse or steady habit. Which I do on occasion.

When I was at UConn, Sam Adams didn't come out until my Junior year, and I didn't like it (too bitter I thought). Meanwhile, we mostly drank stuff that was worse than Budweiser....Keystone, Red White and Blue, Natural Light, just horrible beers. That you are able to bring Julius and Green back to campus...wow. They need to operate a shuttle. :)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When I was at UConn, Sam Adams didn't come out until my Junior year, and I didn't like it (too bitter I thought). Meanwhile, we mostly drank stuff that was worse than Budweiser....Keystone, Red White and Blue, Natural Light, just horrible beers. That you are able to bring Julius and Green back to campus...wow. They need to operate a shuttle. :)
What were the bar bottles that they sold at Edwards Universal in the waxed, heavy cardboard case boxes? Was it Pabst? Meister Brau? Old Milwaukee? Red, White and Blue? Rheingold? I can't remember, thankfully perhaps, but I do remember that the "furniture" in my dorm room freshman year largely consisted of those cardboard cases, which I used for chairs, and for book shelves, with boards placed in between stacked cases.

August_West

Reaction Score
What were the bar bottles that they sold at Edwards Universal in the waxed, heavy cardboard case boxes? Was it Pabst? Meister Brau? Old Milwaukee? Red, White and Blue? Rheingold? I can't remember, thankfully perhaps, but I do remember that the "furniture" in my dorm room freshman year largely consisted of those cardboard cases, which I used for chairs, and for book shelves, with boards placed in between stacked cases.
Piels

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Great bourbon selection at Max keeps me coming back, they did scalp me $10 a bottle for Bourbon County Stout last year, but probably my fault for not asking the price. Other than the stout I have never asked what's in the back over there.
10 for bourbon county is a good price!

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
If anybody is near treehouse they have King Julius in cans tonight!

August_West

Reaction Score
YES! That absolutely was it.

Thanks. How you knew that, I'm not sure I want to know.
I used to shop at Edwards in the late 80's too. Those cases were used as a lamp stand and also held my bootleg cassettes at my off campus in Willington

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Had some Fuzzy Baby Ducks last night at Maggie's...wasn't very busy in there at all. I was able to have 3 glasses with dinner. Delicious as usual.

Reaction Score
beer of the month suggestions? I'm looking to get my brother a subscription- a 6 pack a month should suffice.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Had some Fuzzy Baby Ducks last night at Maggie's...wasn't very busy in there at all. I was able to have 3 glasses with dinner. Delicious as usual.
Which one?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Which one?

Middlebury. Considering how (not) busy it was, I wonder if they might have some left over? The waitress said they had a whole keg of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom