So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I went all cidery on my ass a few weeks ago. Found out some are made from concentrate and have for some reason avoided those;

Downeast Cranberry Blend - Love it!! Dry subtly balance between tart sweet.
Downeast Original Blend - Love it!! Dry sweet and apply.
Crispin - May have fricked this one up. A 22 oz bottle where the first glass seemed weak and the second was nasty. It seems the sediment is an issue and one should rotate bottle to distribute the pulp. I dunno.
Ace Joker - Was okay. Supposed to be a champagne cider? Meh. Too dry for me.
Strongbow (bought it before seeing it was from Concentrate) - Love it anyways!!
Angry Orchard Crisp Apple - Good stand by. Sweet as hell compared to the above ciders.

Some of the concentrates:

Stella Artois

Bud has one called Johnny Appleseed
Strongbow
(England)
I'm having some Downeast original with the turkey this year instead of a german wine.

Reaction Score
^^^Ixnay on the uzzyfay abybay ucksday. From all reports it's already a show down there. They have a lambic on too, and GB, among others. Was just planning with my buddy to see what time one of us may be able to get down there tomorrow (or Weds; I'm hopeful that the new growler limits extend the supply). Apparently you have to be dropped off because there is no parking (was always tight anyway), and he thinks people might start lining up hours in advance tomorrow.

I'm starting to think I'll settle for watching the draft list at Prime 16 and getting down there for a pint or three when it's on (assuming it is). It's great beer, but c'mon. Under best conditions it's probably at least a three-hour investment for me to grab a couple growlers, and I don't think I can do that tomorrow or Weds.

That's what I heard, too. Thought about trying to stop by yesterday (live in New Haven) but man, I'm not waiting in line like that for a beer. Heard the line was out to the road. I know they had it at Cask at some point last year. Just gonna wait and hope it shows up.

Reaction Score
If anyone goes down to NEBCO today and can get an extra growler of Fuzzy Baby Ducks i'll pay and also throw in a can of Substance IPA from Bissell Brothers in Maine. Just came back from a weekend in Portland with a case. One of the best beers out there. I need to see if FBD lives up to the hype.

Reaction Score
I had a group of friends go to NEBCO last night. Some left as soon as they saw the line, others toughed it out and waited the 2 hours to get Ducks. If I had the day off..I would have joined them....Ducks is DELICIOUS.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I went all cidery on my ass a few weeks ago. Found out some are made from concentrate and have for some reason avoided those;

Downeast Cranberry Blend - Love it!! Dry subtly balance between tart sweet.
Downeast Original Blend - Love it!! Dry sweet and apply.
Crispin - May have fricked this one up. A 22 oz bottle where the first glass seemed weak and the second was nasty. It seems the sediment is an issue and one should rotate bottle to distribute the pulp. I dunno.
Ace Joker - Was okay. Supposed to be a champagne cider? Meh. Too dry for me.
Strongbow (bought it before seeing it was from Concentrate) - Love it anyways!!
Angry Orchard Crisp Apple - Good stand by. Sweet as hell compared to the above ciders.

Some of the concentrates:

Stella Artois

Bud has one called Johnny Appleseed
Strongbow
(England)
Downeast and Crispin are definitely the ones I drink most. Crispin is tricky though because there are different styles in different formats. Based on the preferences you've described, I'm guessing you would like the Crispin "original," which comes in four packs of clear glass 12 oz. bottles in a blue carrier. It is made from fresh-pressed juice rather than cider, so it is one of the clearer/cleaner ones. I have only had two of their large format beers, The Saint and Honey Crisp. The Saint is made with Belgian yeast and I wasn't crazy about it; I'm guessing that may be the one you tried. Honey Crisp, which has a yellow-orange label, is excellent imo. If you like Honey Crisp apples (which I do), this tastes exactly like the apple. I also like the Crispin 16 oz. cans, but again that is an entirely different style--a dry English cider that they import from England, made with fresh-pressed English bittersweet cider apples. You might like that one, or it may be too dry for you.

If you haven't tried Woodchuck's Hopsation or Granny Smith yet, you should also give them a try. The latter tastes a lot like the apple, and the former adds hops to their regular cider, which gives it a nice, drier finish.

I'm having some Downeast original with the turkey this year instead of a german wine.

I was just thinking the same the other day. It has to be a natural pairing, right?

==================================================

A propos of the cider talk, CBS Sunday Morning just did a nice little segment on the "cider renaissance" we're experiencing:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/cider-bringing-back-a-forgotten-drink/

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Downeast and Crispin are definitely the ones I drink most. Crispin is tricky though because there are different styles in different formats. Based on the preferences you've described, I'm guessing you would like the Crispin "original," which comes in four packs of clear glass 12 oz. bottles in a blue carrier. It is made from fresh-pressed juice rather than cider, so it is one of the clearer/cleaner ones. I have only had two of their large format beers, The Saint and Honey Crisp. The Saint is made with Belgian yeast and I wasn't crazy about it; I'm guessing that may be the one you tried. Honey Crisp, which has a yellow-orange label, is excellent imo. If you like Honey Crisp apples (which I do), this tastes exactly like the apple. I also like the Crispin 16 oz. cans, but again that is an entirely different style--a dry English cider that they import from England, made with fresh-pressed English bittersweet cider apples. You might like that one, or it may be too dry for you.

If you haven't tried Woodchuck's Hopsation or Granny Smith yet, you should also give them a try. The latter tastes a lot like the apple, and the former adds hops to their regular cider, which gives it a nice, drier finish.

Yes, it was the Crispin Saint.

And I did forget to mention the Woodchuck Amber that I have in the fridge. Another delicious offering.

You and TRest now have me dropping $20 at the packie tonight for some Original and Cranberry Blend.

Reaction Score
Yes, I heard about winemaking at home- sounds like fun!

My in-laws inherited a huge wine collection, so we usually just go over there and borrow a few bottles each time we visit.

The craft beer scene is in full swing, so I'm jumping on it very late, but I'm also doing it because I spend so much money on beer and thought that over the long run, making it at home would be a little cheaper. That and I love beer!

Reaction Score
Was at J. Timothy's in Plainville last night for dinner. Had a couple of Firefly Hollow's Cone Flakes Double IPA's. Freakin' amazing.

Attachments

• 1124141704a.jpg
    1124141704a.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 59
Reaction Score
In CT, anything from NEBCO. Yes, Gandhi Bot is excellent, and they changed their Sea Hag recipe in the past year or so for the better; but their special IPAs Fuzzy Baby Ducks and Supernaut are all-world level IPAs, and their session IPA, Galaxy, is great. Their stout and porter are also excellent.

Two Roads is good, especially Lil Heaven session IPA. Also a very good Russian Imperial Stout.

OEC is making outrageously good Belgians and other styles, especially their sour.

For VT, the Waterbury area is insanely great. The Alchemist (Heady Topper--still great when fresh imo), Hill Farmstead and Lawson's are all top quality across their entire lines. Fiddlehead also very good. But you can't get any of these beers in CT. Magic Hat, Otter Creek and Long Trail have improved in recent years, but imo they are not remotely close to Hill Farmstead, Lawson's or the Alchemist.
8893 - this is too funny...My buddy works sales on the road and just brought me back a few cans of Alchemist Heady Topper and a growler of Fiddlhead IPA. He was telling me the Alchemist 4 packs are going for as much a $18 in some stores up there. Crazy.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
alexd. said:
8893 - this is too funny...My buddy works sales on the road and just brought me back a few cans of Alchemist Heady Topper and a growler of Fiddlhead IPA. He was telling me the Alchemist 4 packs are going for as much a $18 in some stores up there. Crazy.

18 bucks is not unreasonable for a for 4 pack these days. At a phish show this summer in Saratoga single cans were going for 15 dollars each in the lot. That's crazy.

Btw a little birdie told me they are tapping a keg of fuzzy baby ducks at Pacific standard on crown st in new haven tonight.

Reaction Score
18 bucks is not unreasonable for a for 4 pack these days. At a phish show this summer in Saratoga single cans were going for 15 dollars each in the lot. That's crazy.

Btw a little birdie told me they are tapping a keg of fuzzy baby ducks at Pacific standard on crown st in new haven tonight.

Well, considering those 4 pack were going for $12 this summer..

Individual cans at concets and sports events are an entire different price strata.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
NEBCO doesn't open for two hours and here is the line already, as someone just posted on their FB page:

10391047_10205032234903552_6703467551241012565_n.jpg

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
NEBCO doesn't open for two hours and here is the line already, as someone just posted on their FB page:

10391047_10205032234903552_6703467551241012565_n.jpg
What I wouldn't do to walk up to these guys while double-fisting Natchies and saying, "You guys are idiots!".

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What I wouldn't do to walk up to these guys while double-fisting Natchies and saying, "You guys are idiots!".
What I wouldn't do to be one of those idiots.

Crazy to wait that long, but I have stood in that line for more than an hour before and there are worse ways to spend time. Usually good people to chat with, and oftentimes people bring things to share.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I picked up a 6 pack of Leinenkugal's Cranberry Ginger Shandy. I don't know what to expect, but I know I'm having it Friday afternoon while watching football and crushing a humongous sandwich with leftover turkey, stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce.

http://www.goldcoastbeverage.com/craft/leinenkugelscranberrygingershandy

Leinenkugel's Cranber Ginger Shandy pours a hazy, golden-apricot that shows off pink highlights and produces numerous stremas of tiny bubbles to create an off-white foam cap. This shandy has aromas of cranberries abound, while subtle yet noticeable wisps of spicy ginger, lemon zest, and bread crusts peek through.

Leinie%20Cran%20Ginger%20Shandy.png

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just posted 5 minutes ago on NEBCO FB page (shortly after someone posted that there are already 80+ people in line--and they still don't open for over an hour):

"Friendly heads up: doing the math, it seems if you're not in line now, you will probably miss out on FBD. This is not a guarantee if you're in line there will be enough.
We still have other beers!
Sorry, xoxo"

Wow.

Reaction Score

It's 18 bucks if you can find it. The problem is it sells out so fast. They only allot so many to each liquor store. My roommate was in burlington over the weekend drinking one in a bar. I asked him to bring me home one and he said it's sold out everywhere.

Btw, love the SPAC. Caught Furthur Tour there in '97?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

OK it looks like FBD isnt making it to New Haven tonight. Will be tapping another Nebco goodie though....

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is insane; the line is to the street:

10818929_10154898512020010_2107607094_n.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Keep us updated. Would love to try it out at some point.
Keep your eye on Prime 16's and Cask Republic's draft lists (can check them on-line). Also Eli Cannon's for people who get up that way. Guessing each will have a keg/log at some point in the next week or so.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I was just thinking the same the other day. It has to be a natural pairing, right?

==================================================

A propos of the cider talk, CBS Sunday Morning just did a nice little segment on the "cider renaissance" we're experiencing:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/cider-bringing-back-a-forgotten-drink/
I think the pairing should be great and I like to imagine that the first colonists were more likely hard cider drinkers when they first got here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom