Beer | Page 113 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yup, I agree with your point. I'm still trying to figure out if I prefer SoS over Heady though. HuskyHawk: What are your top 10 IPAs?

I've never tried to rank them in any order. Abner (HF), Double Sunshine, Heady Topper, Julius, Haze, Green, Artaic, Citra Cutting Tiles, Prospect (Foley Bros.), Pieces of Eight (Foley Bros.), PLUSH (Frost Beer works), Softly Spoken Magic Spells (Singlecut). Pro Pig IPA may be the best, and I didn't list it since they only brewed it once. That's a fair list of 13. I've never had NEBCO though, a great failing. Plus those outside that list...are just outside. Pliny the Elder, SoS (which I think is a lot like Pliny) several from Trillium, Three Floyds, Wormtown, Jack's Abby (if you count IPL) and other places. I think we do a disservice to ourselves by elevating something that is ever so slightly better than something else. I mean, nobody talks about Wormtown Buddah Juice, but it's spectacular.

Honestly, I have given up the chase. I go to the Alchemist because we have a house in Vermont and it's great beer and pretty cheap actually. I've been trading it for Bourbon and Scotch samples! I go to Trillium because it's 20-25 minutes from my house and always good. Aside from that I'm going to just buy Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin.

Reaction Score
I like SoS quite a lot. It is nicely balanced, and is very New England-y in culture. I just think this West Coast IPA or Super Triple ! IPA thing is misguided, and very American. "Hey, these hops sure taste pretty good." "I've got an idea! Let's double the hops, and it will be even better!!!!" "Yeah, let's make it bigger by adding more." "Yuge!!" "Bigly!"

Here's an interest Blind Test competition which I found interesting: Blind-Tasting 115 of the Best American DIPA/Imperial IPAs: We Have a Winner

SoS finishes #10.

Boneyard Beer Co. Hop Venom City: Bend, OR ???????

:D

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA is really good for a go to

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
On Saturday Thimble Islands had a can release for two experimental batches. I have drunk 3 of the #157 and can confidently say it is the most enjoyable brew I have ever had. It's an 8% IPA with CTZ, New Zealand rakau and citrus hops. Amazing taste. Hopefully it becomes regular.

Still available. And so good.

There is the #158, too. Will try it tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Current favorite beer is from Lost Nation Brewing in Morrisville, VT (near Stowe). Specifically, their Mosaic IPA. It isn't a heavy beer and alcohol is 5.5%. It comes in pint cans and isn't too expensive. Just a nice easy to drink IPA for me.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Current favorite beer is from Lost Nation Brewing in Morrisville, VT (near Stowe). Specifically, their Mosaic IPA. It isn't a heavy beer and alcohol is 5.5%. It comes in pint cans and isn't too expensive. Just a nice easy to drink IPA for me.
Ha! Literally less than five minutes ago one of my fellow beer nut friends just texted me a list of new ones to look for up there as I am headed up tomorrow, and that was at the top of his list. Spoke with client an hour before that who has a house in Stowe and she also told me that is her new fave. Will definitely be on the lookout for that.

Reaction Score
That's probably your best bet up near you. It's one of those that my local guy keeps in the back and only sells a bottle or two at a time, and only to regular customers. Since I've almost stopped drinking beer entirely and rarely buy it any more, he hasn't been offering me many of the goodies in recent months. I should ask him though, because I still buy a ton of cider from him, and I enjoy an occasional beer like this.

I think you're talking about Founders KBS and he's talking about Kentucky Bourbon Barrel (according to his link). Big difference. The latter is much easier to get.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Boneyard Beer Co. Hop Venom City: Bend, OR ???????

:D
My Portland-area based brother has been woofing about Boneyard offerings for awhile.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Up in Waitsfield for the weekend. Skiing Sugarbush today but spent yesterday drinking our way through Stowe and Waterbury. The whole area is ridiculous with outrageously great beer everywhere, but I think my favorite of more than a dozen different ones was not a VT beer, but Founders Lizard of Koz, an imperial stout with blueberries, chocolate and vanilla, aged in bourbon barrels.

Pro Pigs own beers were shockingly good.

The operation at the new Alchemist is amazing and very easy.

HF Harlan has been my favorite HF beer this trip so far.

Reaction Score
Founders Lizard of Koz, an imperial stout with blueberries, chocolate and vanilla, aged in bourbon barrels.

That sounds delicious. Especially when its 0 degrees out. My type of beer. Founders is one of my favorite breweries.

I'm skiing at Okemo right now. Was at Stowe 3 weeks ago. Did Goat for the first time. May have been the only person ever to go into Alchemist and not buy anything. I don't do IPA's. My friends filled the fridge. I spent $65 at the liquor store just around the corner on stouts for myself.

Reaction Score
Has anyone mentioned Grimm in this massive thread? I have never had the fortune of trying any of their brews but have only heard/read amazing things. Also, I have the opportunity to drink some Baby Bot or Locust Reign tonight. What's better?

Reaction Score
Has anyone mentioned Grimm in this massive thread? I have never had the fortune of trying any of their brews but have only heard/read amazing things. Also, I have the opportunity to drink some Baby Bot or Locust Reign tonight. What's better?
Hopefully you tried both. Both IPAs, but different bc Baby bot is 5.2% alcohol where Locust Reign is a double IPA with 8.5% alcohol. But Locust Reign is right there with Fuzzy Baby Ducks, and is better than G-Bot IMO. Hopefully you went LR and then had 2-3 baby bots!

Reaction Score
Right now in my Fridge, I have 20 Focal Bangers, 12 Headys, 20 Crushers, 3 SoS, 2 DDH Congress Street, 2 DDH Sleeper Street, 1 Dialed in, 4 cans of Sap, 5 cans of Green, 4 cans of Coriolis, 1 pint of Tiny Beautiful Something, 1 Haze, and I think 1 Doppleganger hiding somehere

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Right now in my Fridge, I have 20 Focal Bangers, 12 Headys, 20 Crushers, 3 SoS, 2 DDH Congress Street, 2 DDH Sleeper Street, 1 Dialed in, 4 cans of Sap, 5 cans of Green, 4 cans of Coriolis, 1 pint of Tiny Beautiful Something, 1 Haze, and I think 1 Doppleganger hiding somehere
I ask in all seriousness...what town you be in? Need more friends?

I found a CT Beer Drinker fb page and have since been buying brewskies like a mini fiend.

My fridge has Coriolis, Excess (Jack's Abby), Palate Mallet, Hobbit Juice, The Correspondent, No Filter and Leaf Storm.

And my diet only allows 1/day. :(

Oh, tomorrow I pick up Two Juicy and some Counter Weight just because.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Can release of trail blazer today. Got some for the tournament. :)

Reaction Score

Sad thing is unless you have buddies helping you out you won't consume all those during their peak freshness

Reaction Score
Up in Waitsfield for the weekend. Skiing Sugarbush today but spent yesterday drinking our way through Stowe and Waterbury. The whole area is ridiculous with outrageously great beer everywhere, but I think my favorite of more than a dozen different ones was not a VT beer, but Founders Lizard of Koz, an imperial stout with blueberries, chocolate and vanilla, aged in bourbon barrels.

Drinking Lizard of Koz right now based on your recommendation. $17.99 a bomber. Picked it up on the way on impromptu trip to Killington to soak in 30". Love Founders, love dark and sweet, but it might be too sweet for me. Good at what it is though, for sure.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I was skiing at Snowbird, Solitude, and Brighton last week and got the chance to taste some local Utah brews.

I picked up two 6 packs from Uintas Brewery. People gave me weird looks leaving the liquor store - apparently they sell beer by the can and I was considered an alcoholic.
  • Uintas Detour Double IPA (9.50%) - this was a pretty solid beer. To me it tasted a lot like a hoppier-version of Sierra Nevada, sort of had that fruity but overwhelming hop taste.
  • Uintas Hop Nosh IPA (7.00%) - didn't like it. Very malty and sort of lack luster in traditional IPA hops and taste.
The next few I had were from random breweries at bars. I was a little sloshed for these so my take on them is probably not accurate as can be.
  • Epic Brewing Co. Tart n' Sour IPA (4.50%) - this was the best beer I've ever had. It mixed the taste of a Sip of Sunshine with a sour aftertaste, but it wasn't too overwhelming. It was amazing, low on ABV tho, but who cares it was awesome. Highly recommend even if you don't like sours, it wasn't that over powering at all.
  • Wasatch Polygamist Porter (4.00%) - I'm not a porter fan but it had a good taste. Don't even know what to look for with porters, but it had a bunch of sister wives on the bottle. I thought that was catchy.
  • Wasatch Red Nitro Ale (4.00%) - I usually like ales but I didn't like this one. It had such a weird taste. It was like the USF of my beer that week.
  • I also tried a 3.2% Rolling Rock and let me tell you. It was good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Drinking Lizard of Koz right now based on your recommendation. $17.99 a bomber. Picked it up on the way on impromptu trip to Killington to soak in 30". Love Founders, love dark and sweet, but it might be too sweet for me. Good at what it is though, for sure.
I think it had a big advantage in that regard in the session during which I drank it because the rest were mostly PAs and IPAs, so it stood out.

I decided to take Friday off and head up to Mt. Snow for $17 lift tickets and am looking forward to grabbing what's left of the dump they got. Apparently a few more inches today, too. I think I have enough beer to last me through Spring based on my purchases in Stowe last weekend, so no more beer hunting for me. Although it shocks me to think that McNeil's in Brattleboro is now an afterthought, when they were the ones who got the whole East Coast rolling in the first wave of the beer renaissance.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sad thing is unless you have buddies helping you out you won't consume all those during their peak freshness
But if you keep them cold they will stay really good for at least a couple months.

Reaction Score

8893, what did you end up buying at the Alchemist? I easily walked out of there spending over $200!! I loved Pro Pigs. Their beer was solid and didn't have a high alcohol % either

Reaction Score
I ask in all seriousness...what town you be in? Need more friends?

I found a CT Beer Drinker fb page and have since been buying brewskies like a mini fiend.

My fridge has Coriolis, Excess (Jack's Abby), Palate Mallet, Hobbit Juice, The Correspondent, No Filter and Leaf Storm.

And my diet only allows 1/day. :(

Oh, tomorrow I pick up Two Juicy and some Counter Weight just because.
But if you keep them cold they will stay really good for at least a couple months.
I' saved a can of Julius and Haze from the October batch, and drank a Julius during the snow storm on Tuesday (about 4/5 months old) and it still tasted fantastic. I plan on sending some of the beers from the alchemist over to my brother and another buddy in Indiana.

Dove, If you'd be interested in a 4 pack (2 Focal Bangers and 2 Crushers), let me know!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom