BCU and Rutroh - a study of ineptitude | The Boneyard

BCU and Rutroh - a study of ineptitude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The watch is on. In men's BB, BCU is 0 - 16 and Rutroh is 0 - 16 in conference play. Rutroh does get Minnesota at home, so they may eke out 1 victory. BCU on the other hand has NC State away and Clemson at home, clearly a tougher deal. If they both run the table, they will have garnered just 1 victory between them out of a total of 52 football and basketball conference games combined. But, they're P 5. lunacy!

Reaction Score
The watch is on. In men's BB, BCU is 0 - 16 and Rutroh is 0 - 16 in conference play. Rutroh does get Minnesota at home, so they may eke out 1 victory. BCU on the other hand has NC State away and Clemson at home, clearly a tougher deal. If they both run the table, they will have garnered just 1 victory between them out of a total of 52 football and basketball conference games combined. But, they're P 5. lunacy!
It sort of illustrates the point that anyone that thinks that getting into a P5 Conference... other than the nice payouts.... is going to bring more victories, success to one's basketball and football programs is probably just kidding themselves. Uconn won't be going to any future College Football playoff Bowl ( BCS like ) Games from any league that has Texas, Oklahoma, ( B12 ) Florida State (ACC ), Ohio State, Michigan ( Big 10 ) in it. Neither will Rutgers or BC. Its just the way it is, as the northeast football H.S. football talent is very subpar compared to the South, Southwest,Midwest. That said, with Uconn reputation brand as a Basketball School, I see no reason at all that Uconn could not continue to do well nationally in this sport. But in football ? I don't see how Uconn's admittance into a P5 Conference changes the dynamic much for a school located in the Northeast, and in New England, no less.

Reaction Score
It sort of illustrates the point that anyone that thinks that getting into a P5 Conference... other than the nice payouts.... is going to bring more victories, success to one's basketball and football programs is probably just kidding themselves. Uconn won't be going to any future College Football playoff Bowl ( BCS like ) Games from any league that has Texas, Oklahoma, ( B12 ) Florida State (ACC ), Ohio State, Michigan ( Big 10 ) in it. Neither will Rutgers or BC. Its just the way it is, as the northeast football H.S. football talent is very subpar compared to the South, Southwest,Midwest. That said, with Uconn reputation brand as a Basketball School, I see no reason at all that Uconn could not continue to do well nationally in this sport. But in football ? I don't see how Uconn's admittance into a P5 Conference changes the dynamic much for a school located in the Northeast, and in New England, no less.
Yawkey IMHO BC's problem's in basketball are all pointed at Gene DeFlippo. He made bad decision compounded by bad decision starting when he fired Al Skinner. Same with football when he fired Jags.

Reaction Score
Ga Tech really did their best to blow it today but BCU's will to lose shone through in the end.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
That said, with Uconn reputation brand as a Basketball School, I see no reason at all that Uconn could not continue to do well nationally in this sport. But in football ? I don't see how Uconn's admittance into a P5 Conference changes the dynamic much for a school located in the Northeast, and in New England, no less.
There is no reason that we couldn't do well nationally in FB. Contend for championships? There is a group of 10-15 schools in CFB that pretty much control the landscape. We'd need a dream season as part of a P5, but that's no different than NC State, ASU, Illinois, Ole Miss, KSU etc.

Reaction Score
Yawkey IMHO BC's problem's in basketball are all pointed at Gene DeFlippo. He made bad decision compounded by bad decision starting when he fired Al Skinner. Same with football when he fired Jags.
I agree with you that DeFilippo made a huge mistake in firing Skinner. Also, the process by which he was let go.... given the overall terrific job he did in bringing the program back from the bottom after the scandal of the O' Brien and Biancardi terminations was shameful, imo. Skinner deserved a much better parting of the ways from DeFilippo, imo. As for the firing of Jags, I had no problem with it, as Jags violated the terms agreed to in his contract, and he was a lousy hire by DeFilippo to begin with.... and Jags career has gone nowhere but downhill since he was canned anyway, so he was no loss, imo

Reaction Score
Ga Tech really did their best to blow it today but BCU's will to lose shone through in the end.
With BC's win tonite, they clinched Hockey East. ( Women's team also clinched).

Unfortunately, Conference realignments have nothing to do with how good ( or bad ) a school's Basketball and Hockey programs historically are. As has been mentioned before by many others on here, of all the sports that count in evaluations for P5 memberships, it is far and away, football that counts more than all the others combined. If BYU makes it to the B12 if this league expands, it won't be because they are in an area with lots of TV sets and they have a desired basketball program ( they have neither ). It will be their 3 decades tradition of good football that most likely will punch their ticket.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
BC really screwed the pooch firing Skinner.

He wasn't a great coach, but he was a freaking wizard in recruiting talent that other schools overlooked. Boston College can't recruit New England against UConn and the other schools who come after the prep talent, so a guy like Skinner was an absolute must.

But the worst part of that firing was how they ran him down afterwards - they killed the man's career on purpose to save face. That was vile and part of a pattern of dishonesty that seems to run pretty deep with Leahy and Gene D.

Anyway, they're on the verge of something historic here....has anyone ever lose every football and basketball conference game?

Reaction Score
BC has a chance to go for Kansas' football record of winning just two conference games in five years....

It won't be easy...they still have to hold it down to just two wins in the next four years... just to catch Kansas....and the Kansas streak is still active.

Reaction Score
Is Skinner the RKG to add to the UConn staff? He is from Mount Vernon, 63 and unlikely to get another top job. Would a staff job pay better then HC at Kennesaw? He cam come here, stay 5+ years and retire.

Reaction Score
The OP is not speaking to championships, just winning a game. It's referring to a level of total and utter incompetence, not beating Bama.

Reaction Score
BC really screwed the pooch firing Skinner.

He wasn't a great coach, but he was a freaking wizard in recruiting talent that other schools overlooked. Boston College can't recruit New England against UConn and the other schools who come after the prep talent, so a guy like Skinner was an absolute must.

But the worst part of that firing was how they ran him down afterwards - they killed the man's career on purpose to save face. That was vile and part of a pattern of dishonesty that seems to run pretty deep with Leahy and Gene D.

Anyway, they're on the verge of something historic here....has anyone ever lose every football and basketball conference game?

I think I read somewhere that it has not happened since before WWII. So, yes, historic....... also sad and pathetic.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="As for the firing of Jags, I had no problem with it, as Jags violated the terms agreed to in his contract, and he was a lousy hire by DeFilippo to begin with.... and Jags career has gone nowhere but downhill since he was canned anyway, so he was no loss, imo[/QUOTE]

So, Jag's and BC's fortunes have pretty much paralled each other.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The level of absolute incompetence at BCU and Cable Box U probably hurts our P5 aspirations. The B12 probably looks at those two dumpster fires and thinks that UConn will do no better once promoted because we are located in the northeast too.

Football wise - I don't think anyone here as any misguided notions that UConn would become a football powerhouse in the B12 or another P5 conference. But I think we feel confident that we can field a competitive (i.e. .500 level, minor bowl eligible) program. Maybe compete for a conference title every 10-20 years (think Duke/UNC in the ACC or KSU/Mizzou), but also have a few seasons of no bowl game eligibility. And that friends, is okay considering that we are a basketball school.

Basketball - A move to a P5 re-establishes our recruiting and brand back to a perennial national championship level. We are no longer unranked in preseason polls or after a few wins. The AAC gets no respect in the polls and anyone with half of a brain understands that UConn is a big fish in a small G5 pond. Restoring UConn on a P5 level (and P5 money) allows us to play more nationally recognized high profile games and compete for national championships as a top seed, not lower 7/8 seeds. We bring $$ to a P5 conference with conference credits and postseason success.

Combined, there is no way in spit that UConn would ever have a season that our incompetent friends to the north and south are having in both of the high revenue sports in 2015-16. None.

Reaction Score
With BC's win tonite, they clinched Hockey East. ( Women's team also clinched).

Unfortunately, Conference realignments have nothing to do with how good ( or bad ) a school's Basketball and Hockey programs historically are. As has been mentioned before by many others on here, of all the sports that count in evaluations for P5 memberships, it is far and away, football that counts more than all the others combined. If BYU makes it to the B12 if this league expands, it won't be because they are in an area with lots of TV sets and they have a desired basketball program ( they have neither ). It will be their 3 decades tradition of good football that most likely will punch their ticket.

So they're good at football - So what? What greatness in football did BC, Rutgers (or for that matter Syracuse) bring to the fray? The number one criterion must be cable boxes or some perceived market attraction. You can disagree, justify or whatever - but, how else do you explain Rutgers? (Maybe, Jersey boy, Delany effed up by pushing his hometown team?)

No question football is at the top of the heap re: important sports, followed by men's bb. Thereafter, women's bb, soccer play minor roles. Unfortunately, hockey doesn't even register in CR importance. (Even though for me it does.) But, did BC or Rutgers get their tickets to P-5 conferences because of athletic prowess? Not likely. The study of ineptitude should include a section on how the P-5 encourages it by not requiring even a minimum level of competitiveness for admission. If you can bring just cable boxes or some perceived market share you can gain admission even though you suck at the marquee sports.

Reaction Score
Hard to tell...whether a program's trajectory will go up..be flat..or dive. It is about having talent...and, to a certain extent, having a coach to develop that talent.

A good quarterback can make you look good. Under Matt Ryan as a starter, 2005-07, BC had three bowl wins and went 25-7 with him starting.

It was only eight seasons ago that Boston College won 11 games, played in the ACC CCG, and beat Michigan State in the bowl game.

BUT...they now don't have the talent to compete. And talent can make a coach look good. BC didn't bring in a single four star recruit in 2016 and are behind the talent levels of their peers. Their 2016 class is ranked #84 while their 2003 class was Top 25.

Reaction Score
As for the firing of Jags,.....he was no loss, imo
So the only FB coach at BC to coach his team to the ACC CG, never mind he did it 2 years in a row (and had them ranked as a top 20 team both years, as high as #2 at one point in 2007) was no loss in your opinion... that sounds about right.

Reaction Score
But the worst part of that firing was how they ran him down afterwards - they killed the man's career on purpose to save face.

BC had nothing to do with " killing Skinner's career ". If schools thought Al was mistreated in any manner by BC , they wouldn't care a wit about that, they would have hired him in an instant. Besides, this notion that BC has this alleged enormous national political clout to prevent other schools from acting in their own self interests seems rather incredulous to me. BC " killed Skinner's career " ? How ? because they fired him, perhaps as we might agree unceremoniously ? Schools hire Coaches all the time that were fired... even ones fired in mid season. The fact that no top schools came calling for Al to come and Coach them after BC let him go can hardly be viewed to be somehow BC's fault, imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="

So, Jag's and BC's fortunes have pretty much paralled each other.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about this. Jags fortunes post BC seem worse by contrast, to me.. BC post Jags at least went to a couple of Bowl Games out of the ACC , and had a RB that made it to NYC as a Heisman qualifyer, beat USC, VT ( twice ) etc and had a defense finishing up as the #1 defense in the nation, and so forth. Jags fortunes seem worse on the whole by contrast, imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The level of absolute incompetence at BCU and Cable Box U probably hurts our P5 aspirations. The B12 probably looks at those two dumpster fires and thinks that UConn will do no better once promoted because we are located in the northeast too.

Football wise - I don't think anyone here as any misguided notions that UConn would become a football powerhouse in the B12 or another P5 conference. But I think we feel confident that we can field a competitive (i.e. .500 level, minor bowl eligible) program. Maybe compete for a conference title every 10-20 years (think Duke/UNC in the ACC or KSU/Mizzou), but also have a few seasons of no bowl game eligibility. And that friends, is okay considering that we are a basketball school.

Basketball - A move to a P5 re-establishes our recruiting and brand back to a perennial national championship level. We are no longer unranked in preseason polls or after a few wins. The AAC gets no respect in the polls and anyone with half of a brain understands that UConn is a big fish in a small G5 pond. Restoring UConn on a P5 level (and P5 money) allows us to play more nationally recognized high profile games and compete for national championships as a top seed, not lower 7/8 seeds. We bring $$ to a P5 conference with conference credits and postseason success.

Combined, there is no way in spit that UConn would ever have a season that our incompetent friends to the north and south are having in both of the high revenue sports in 2015-16. None.

As an apologista, you have to be kidding with your statement that no one here has ridiculous notions about what UConn can accomplish in football. It is precisely the ridiculous beliefs of what should be accomplished -- never mind what could be accomplished -- that led to the absurd pre-leaving criticisms of FHCRE.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No schools came calling for Al....period.

Boston College absolutely ran him over in the press telling their boy at the Globe to burn him down.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleg...ful_boston_college_tenure_had_run_its_course/

Al is Al is Al. I had to smile when I saw that St. John’s was interviewing Al. Doesn’t St. John’s understand that Al is the least-hard-working guy in show business, that in the world of Division 1 college basketball, there is absolutely no one like him? In a world of 24/7/365 basketball zealots, Al is Mr. Casual.

Al works Al hours, arriving around noon, playing some pickup ball, and going to a practice that, more than likely, had been planned by an assistant. Don’t they know how infrequently Al is seen on the recruiting trail during the offseason, when games are really won and lost? Don’t they know that if you hire Al, you must supply him with a first-class recruiting assistant, one who totally understands Al’s likes, dislikes, and peculiarities? Don’t they know, that, when it comes to offense, Al is, ahem, inflexible?

Not enough to fire him, they had to ruin him. Scumbags. Turns out that he was better at his job than his bosses....

Reaction Score
As an apologista, you have to be kidding with your statement that no one here has ridiculous notions about what UConn can accomplish in football. It is precisely the ridiculous beliefs of what should be accomplished -- never mind what could be accomplished -- that led to the absurd pre-leaving criticisms of FHCRE.
Neither one of us has apologized for anything on here, and don't see that either one of us has to for anything ( so far ) either, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom