BC Grad Transfer Deontae Hawkins: | Page 4 | The Boneyard

BC Grad Transfer Deontae Hawkins:

Reaction Score
I think it has at least something to do with it. From what I've heard it just keeps getting worse and worse.
I just graduated in May. This past year was BRUTAL. Cops don't even patrol carriage anymore on Fridays/Saturdays because they know kids won't even try at this point.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If we have now become relegated to ramping up the Storrs party scene to attract recruits, we have far worse problems than anything Ollie and the present coaching staff can solve. Some of us on this forum attended UConn during an era when there was almost nothing in Storrs. In the mid 70's we had Ted's, Huskies, the Rathskeller in the Student Union building, and nothing else. It's worlds better now than it was back in those days, but it's still a rural setting 30 minutes from any place of any size. Ollie and the current coaching staff can't move the school to a more urban location to satisfy recruits. Somehow, those of us who attended UConn back in the 60's, 70's and 80's figured out a way to have a social life there. That should be far easier to do now than it was then.
i graduated in 1983. There were 3 package stores that delivered free to dorm rooms, anything from a six of Heff to 5 half kegs of Bud. We didn't need no stinkin' bars.

Reaction Score
I just graduated in May. This past year was BRUTAL. Cops don't even patrol carriage anymore on Fridays/Saturdays because they know kids won't even try at this point.
I graduated in 2014. It started getting bad in 2011 and by my junior year there were no more parties up and down hunting lodge. it's really sad. If I had to pick a school right now, I wouldn't go to UConn.

Reaction Score
If we have now become relegated to ramping up the Storrs party scene to attract recruits, we have far worse problems than anything Ollie and the present coaching staff can solve. Some of us on this forum attended UConn during an era when there was almost nothing in Storrs. In the mid 70's we had Ted's, Huskies, the Rathskeller in the Student Union building, and nothing else. It's worlds better now than it was back in those days, but it's still a rural setting 30 minutes from any place of any size. Ollie and the current coaching staff can't move the school to a more urban location to satisfy recruits. Somehow, those of us who attended UConn back in the 60's, 70's and 80's figured out a way to have a social life there. That should be far easier to do now than it was then.
the UConn social and party scene isn't even a shell of its former self, it's an unmitigated disaster.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I graduated in 2014. It started getting bad in 2011 and by my junior year there were no more parties up and down hunting lodge. it's really sad. If I had to pick a school right now, I wouldn't go to UConn.

It was all over when they built that Taj Mahal for the campus cops.

Reaction Score
i graduated in 1983. There were 3 package stores that delivered free to dorm rooms, anything from a six of Heff to 5 half kegs of Bud. We didn't need no stinkin' bars.
I think every UConn student would trade the bars for being able to get away with what students did in the 80s and 90s.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
the UConn social and party scene isn't even a shell of its former self, it's an unmitigated disaster.

In my view, if it's that important to any recruit(s) that we have a kick ass party scene at UConn, then maybe those aren't the type of recruits we want to be getting.

Reaction Score
In my view, if it's that important to any recruit(s) that we have a kick ass party scene at UConn, then maybe those aren't the type of recruits we want to be getting.

it isn't a bad party scene. there is no party scene. if you want a bunch of celibates and teetotalers for recruits go be a BYU fan.

Reaction Score
Judging by the kids list of schools, he wants to play for a true mid major, so that puts us out of the equation. :)
Are you saying we are lower or higher than a mid major? Because that is exactly what we have become.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Yeah, those guys just go to Arizona, UCLA, UK, and UNC.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Too bad that's everyone.

Reaction Score
I think every UConn student would trade the bars for being able to get away with what students did in the 80s and 90s.

I was at UConn from 1986 to 1991... A good time, but the campus and sometimes Mansfield police as well as the campus drinking rules in general were already starting to crack down. We had parties at several houses right off the edge of campus once we were able to get our guys into those houses. The cops would eventually show up, but we did get a few hours of fun in before they did.

In actuality the "UConn is a party school" reputation was built in the late 1970's through the mid 80's when the national drinking age was 18. The guy who took me up to tour campus when I was in high school was a UConn grad from 1981... and he told me he had a beer mug on his bureau, and from Wednesday or Thursday night through Saturday night many weekends he would just grab his mug, walk out his dorm room door and there were parties happening in pretty much every campus quad area - now THAT was the time when the students were getting away with everything... and that is how UConn got all the way up to #6 on the Playboy list of party schools.

The drinking age being moved back up to 21 in 1986 started this pendulum swing that now has messed with the on campus social (drinking) scene

But the late 70's into the 80's? Those were the days...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any history you cite is ancient history, any facts you use are irrelevant and usually wrong. Like when you say, "Only idiots like you would ever stand behind a position that this man does not deserve a chance to turn things around." Or the I "spew hatred". I don't take those insults personally, you make it easy to consider the source. I'm on record saying that a title gives you five more years. I hope he does turn it around but I see nothing going on now to give me hope. I want you knobs to tell me I'm wrong. But you would be more credible if you waited until he actually had some current success until you do. All he's done is rearrange the deck chairs. The fact is this program is in dire straights because of KO. Your screeds insulting fans won't change that. And don't question my loyalty, I'll still be buying season tickets and going to games and supporting the team when KO is on the beach counting his buyout money.

Great... you go to games. Bravo. I do as well when they are down here in my neck of the woods (south Florida). And used to go to many games when I was still living up there, and watched any game on TV that I could not get to live. We can give each other a certificate of appreciation... I am sure the Athletic Department will have those in the mail to us.... tomorrow.

Before I rebut your diatribe, I will give you this: ... since I was often on the football game day threads last year... you were definitely right about Diaco. Now he IS/WAS an idiot, was in way over his head, was a terrible game day and game situation coach and was ruining the football program.

As for Ollie: the fact is, you have absolutely been spewing hatred toward Ollie (and even Chillious... after only 2 months). I could show half a dozen posts off the last month alone that prove my point about you Waquoit. You can call me a "knob" all you want. But I know to show respect and give some latitude to a man who has brought a lot more to this university than you... or me. Kind of makes you the knob Waquoit, not me.

Furthermore, to put all of the blame on KO for the current state of our program is just plain false, and a "rearranging" of the truth of all the things that have happened over the last 5 years. You are either ignorant, or you have an agenda. For one thing, unless KO is the one who botched this whole Conference Realignment crap for us... which of course he is not... then he could not possibly be 100% at fault. He also is not to blame for the recruiting issues we had due to the Nate Miles debacle. Another truth that you can not erase from the program's history, no matter how hard you try. Yes, he deserves SOME of the blame for the current state of our program, of course. As I am on record as stating... not none of it, but not all of it either.

Perfect Example of you spewing hatred, but being silent when something good happens: We won a recruiting battle today... and the recruit specifically mentioned his conversation with Ollie as THE BIGGEST REASON he decided to come here. But since the recruit's statement is against your narrative you are nowhere to be found on either of the threads dedicated to the recruit (Kwintin Williams). Not surprising in the least. But you love to chime in when we lose out on a guy.... you do it all the time in that scenario.

And calling the job Ollie did in 2013, or that 6 game run in 2014 to the national title "rearranging deck chairs" is just as stupid as your ridiculous comment last week calling Chillious a failure for us missing out on a recruit after he has been here for 2 MONTHS. It shows that for all the games you go to, you don't know crap about a whole lot of things where high-level Divsion I basketball are concerned.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom