BC Gets Transfer QB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BC Gets Transfer QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the NCAA was serious they would and could stop it and my solution would be simple. Guy leaves after his freshman year, that's all well and good. You forfeit his scholarship until his class would have graduated. Guys like Calapari would be playing walk-ons most of the time...
Agree with this 100%. You'd never hear about Kentucky again.

Reaction Score
TIL that Kevin Ollie is lazy.

it's lazy in the sense that one-and-done freshmen are lazy. You get one year's worth of pop, but you are not doing your program any favors with long-term development or upside. I think it has more to do with our craptastic conference situation than KO being lazy. He's just doing what he has to do given that I'm sure we've taken a recruiting hit by now being a mid-major.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
it's lazy in the sense that one-and-done freshmen are lazy. You get one year's worth of pop, but you are not doing your program any favors with long-term development or upside. I think it has more to do with our craptastic conference situation than KO being lazy. He's just doing what he has to do given that I'm sure we've taken a recruiting hit by now being a mid-major.

So Kentucky and Duke don't have any long term pop or upside? What?

Reaction Score
So Kentucky and Duke don't have any long term pop or upside? What?

we can't recruit like Duke and UK - we need to develop 4-year players.

edit: you can probably come up with good reasons why this is fine - I'm not that much into the whole recruiting game. I just personally don't feel comfortable with the post-grad pattern we seem to be getting into.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a question for the guys who oppose recruiting future NBA first round picks.

Does it matter that the one and done players are forced to pick between playing professionally overseas, or spending a year in college, since the NBA has made HS grads ineligible for the draft? Or is Calipari to blame for taking one of the most sought after jobs in college basketball and recruiting the best players he can?

Criticize the guy when he's caught cheating, not when he's playing by the rules created by the NBA.

Reaction Score
I hear you.

It's problematic to have college graduates running around in our athletic programs.

Perhaps. But it can likewise be problematic to have mercenary non students running up and down a basketball court or a football field too. Some schools are noted for this charade. More than once Boeheim had teams where not a single player on his basketball team became an eventual Syracuse Univ. college graduate. Younger kids can't be impressed by these types of semi pro teams holding themselves up as somehow they are amateur student- athletes at their school.

Reaction Score
Fifth-year graduate transfers are kids who have graduated college in four years and are now in grad school.

They are the polar opposite of 'mercenary non students', whatever the hell those are.

and they are still there for only one year - a nice band-aid for the occasional year, but not something to become a program cornerstone.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Fifth-year graduate transfers are kids who have graduated college in four years and are now in grad school.

They are the polar opposite of 'mercenary non students', whatever the hell those are.
Mercenary non students are the elite recruits that will never want to play at BC.

Reaction Score
and they are still there for only one year - a nice band-aid for the occasional year, but not something to become a program cornerstone.
True. I don't think utilizing 1-3 transfers out of 65 scholies is the way way to " become a program cornerstone either". I don't think think that this is what Steve Adazzio is doing over at BC either, by securing 1-3 transfers out of his allotted 65. He had a student body walkon QB as starter last season due to poor previous regime's recruitment at the position, and injury in the early season to his projected new Frosh QB starter ( Wade ). Towles at Kentucky saw his opportunity to pehaps play immediately at BC next season, made contact with the BC Coaches, and BC agreed. Towles is not guaranteed the starter QB position, as Wade is expected back healthy next and will be Towles competition for the starting QB position. I can see 1-3 transfers being utilized by a football program as nothing really all that unusual. Lots of schools are chock full of Junior College transfers ( many will never graduate at their transfer school either ) and I see this more of an issue in the bigger picture.

Reaction Score
Mercenary non students are the elite recruits that will never want to play at BC.
This is of course, true. BC rarely gets the so called 5 star football recruit, and probably never will. As for Uconn, as you probably well know as well, Uconn will sometimes get such a recruit for basketball ( both Men & Women ), but not for football either, and probably will never get a 5 star either. Its just the way it is in this New England neck of the woods for college football.

Last edited:

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I don't care what year they are as long as they help the program.

Reaction Score
True. I don't think utilizing 1-3 transfers out of 65 scholies is the way way to " become a program cornerstone either". I don't think think that this is what Steve Adazzio is doing over at BC either, by securing 1-3 transfers out of his allotted 65. He had a student body walkon QB as starter last season due to poor previous regime's recruitment at the position, and injury in the early season to his projected new Frosh QB starter ( Wade ). Towles at Kentucky saw his opportunity to pehaps play immediately at BC next season, made contact with the BC Coaches, and BC agreed. Towles is not guaranteed the starter QB position, as Wade is expected back healthy next and will be Towles competition for the starting QB position. I can see 1-3 transfers being utilized by a football program as nothing really all that unusual. Lots of schools are chock full of Junior College transfers ( many will never graduate at their transfer school either ) and I see this more of an issue in the bigger picture.
Addazio just finished his 3rd season at BC..he has had enough time at BC to properly recruit the QB position.

Reaction Score
Addazio just finished his 3rd season at BC..he has had enough time at BC to properly recruit the QB position.
He has recruited the QB position reasonably well, imo. Wade is his QB recruit, ( was injured early in the season, as starter, and went out for the year) and he has 2 more young QB's that he recruited coming in that seem pretty good on paper, imo. ( and also the transfer from Kentucky in Towles ) Don Brown is a big loss for BC as their DC however, so Addazio will need to find a good replacement. Addazio needs to get BC back to a winning record next season as he did his first 2 years at BC. No excuses for Adazzio next season however, as he does have lots of experienced returnees on both sides of the ball coming back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a question for the guys who oppose recruiting future NBA first round picks.

Does it matter that the one and done players are forced to pick between playing professionally overseas, or spending a year in college, since the NBA has made HS grads ineligible for the draft? Or is Calipari to blame for taking one of the most sought after jobs in college basketball and recruiting the best players he can?

Criticize the guy when he's caught cheating, not when he's playing by the rules created by the NBA.
That's fine but it isn't the ncaa's job to provide temporary playground for kids too young to play in the NBA. Pretty much every college coach would do it if the could. And I don't blame them as long as it is legal. And I'm not even proposing to make it illegal. Just costly. My view is that those guys really belong in Europe or the D-league if not really the NBA. So under my proposal you could recruit 12 of them. Just you'd need to be willing to play walk-on for 3 years until you can recruit 12 more. In reality it would still be worth it to recruit guys who jump but you'd need to evaluate whether it is going to be the one who will change your trajectory.

Reaction Score
Can we not throw stones at anyone re: QB recruiting? :)
I don't know ...Addazio has 1 more year at BC than Diaco has been at UCONN. Diaco seems to building pretty good dept at QB in his 2
Recruiting classes, and his transfer wasn't a band aid 5th yr one and done. He has 3 seasons to play on the field.

Reaction Score
I don't know ...Addazio has 1 more year at BC than Diaco has been at UCONN. Diaco seems to building pretty good dept at QB in his 2
Recruiting classes, and his transfer wasn't a band aid 5th yr one and done. He has 3 seasons to play on the field.

Addazio has done a pretty good job overall as the Head Coach at BC, imo. Next season.. his fourth.. will be pivotal for him, imo.

Reaction Score
Yawkey what is the consensus among BC fans about Addazio?
A poll on EA asked if Daz should be fired after this disappointing season, and 70- 80% or so said " no ". but that does leave a sizeable 20-30% that want him gone pronto. And all the BC message Boards ( about 6 of them) have people overly optimistic and others chronically pessimistic on everything under the sun, as thats in their personal DNA, imo. So the sentiment on Daz does seem to run the gamut in my observations.. as one would expect after such a disappointing season.The prevailing sentiment among most BC fans I encounter personally however is that next season will be key and very determinative on Addazio. These 70-80% will not be so forgiving next season on Daz. Thats my sense on things from most BC fans at the moment, anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A poll on EA asked if Daz should be fired after this disappointing season, and 70- 80% or so said " no ". but that does leave a sizeable 20-30% that want him gone pronto. And all the BC message Boards ( about 6 of them) have people overly optimistic and others chronically pessimistic on everything under the sun, as thats in their personal DNA, imo. So the sentiment on Daz does seem to run the gamut in my observations.. as one would expect after such a disappointing season.The prevailing sentiment among most BC fans I encounter personally however is that next season will be key and very determinative on Addazio. These 70-80% will not be so forgiving next season on Daz. Thats my sense on things from most BC fans at the moment, anyway.
Thanks....what do you think is viewed as a successful season 6-7 wins and making a bowl..or a 8-9 win season

Reaction Score
Thanks....what do you think is viewed as a successful season 6-7 wins and making a bowl..or a 8-9 win season
Me, personally ? Next season, Daz needs to be go bowling with a 6-7 win season, and 8-9 wins to be required for 2017 from him. Incidentally, along these same lines, what are your Uconn football win expectations under Diaco for next season, and then for 2017 FDNY 99 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom